Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
very new to the whole sportbike scene. I am 17 and will be 18 in 3 months. I am looking at either the 250cc kawasaki, or the 500cc kawasaki to start out with. As far as obtaining the lisence how does that work?
I looked at the msf certified classes and plan on taking one within the next few weeks. It says bring a valid drivers lisence or permit to the class..does that mean a motorcycle lisence/permit? If so how do i obtain the permit? Also before the age of 18 what needs to be done to get the lisence as far as written/physical test? And what does a motorcycle permit cover?

Thanks in advance..and these forums are great. Cant wait to get going with this all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can help you out some.

When you take you motorcycle saftey course you need your bike permit. Go to where you would get your drivers permit and just say your signing up for a bike permit. (the test is like the same as the car one, just alittle different)

About the before 18 issue, I would also like to know this (this isnt the real Infinity, it's his brother so Im gunna try to start riding w/ him, im 16.)

Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
You wont need to have anything for the MSF class. Its designed for people just like you. Your instructor will fill you in on everything you need to know about getting a motorcycle licence. The class may even get you the licence. It does here in Texas. Some states require the class for anyone under 18 and thats a good thing.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Where in IL do you live? I've got a used Ninja 250 to sell you if you're interested.

Just click my name over on the left side and send me an email if you need/want details.

·
Registered
16 Posts
prelude22 said:
It says bring a valid drivers lisence or permit to the class..does that mean a motorcycle lisence/permit?
I am assuming you have a Class C license already. If that is the case, you are good to go. If you don't have any license, you will need at least a permit (car or motocycle, doesn't matter).

Good luck, have fun.

·
Registered
282 Posts
to get your permit you just go to the licence bureau and tell them you want a motorcycle licence packet. its like 7 or 8 bucks. you go home and study it and then when you feel your ready you go take your permit test which is just basicly you in front of a computer answering questions. i think there were 50 ques. when you pass that you can take your maneuverability test. i think that runs around 40 bones. the packet you recieve has a list of phone numbers in your county where you can take the tests. the permit is free and has to be renewed yearly. the licence is permanent. permit says no passengers and no riding at dark blah blah blah. i think that should get you started.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Laws vary state by state. Check out your state's dmv web site for details. Most states require a parent/guardian signature for any license/permit or MSF course if you're under 18.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Agree with everyone else, MSF is the way to go. You pay ~$200, they supply the bike, helmet, classroom, material and you just show up. Assuming you pass, after that you get a license waiver from them. Just show up at the DMV and you've got yourself a Motorcycle license.

·
i ride sideways
1,525 Posts
definately take the MSF like everyone else has said, itll help tremendously in your early riding career, and depending on your state, itll contribute to you getting your license.

·
Common sense isn't common
986 Posts
You should need a M permit.... They made everyone that went through MSF in PA have a permit before they could get there certificate of completion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts