Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am wanting to get out next year in October at my EAOS. My PRD is in May. I want to go to San Diego and get into Real Estate. My home of record is Santa Maria, California. I have 3 options; obliserv for 4 years to get transfered to SD, Re-up for 4 years and get transfered to SD, or extend here for 5 months and get out from here with nothing set up to support my family. I am suckin big time with this timing. I don't want to do another 4 years, but I need some time in SD to get stuff going with the real estate thing so I was thinking about extending for a year to do so. As everyone knows, it is never a good idea to tell your command that you are planning on getting out because your evals will suffer because of it. I don't really know what to do. I was thinking about extending here until my EAOS and trying to get into the biz here and see if I can get transfered over to SD with whatever company I end up with, but with my hours I work, it will be hard to get anything going here. Any advice besides you should stay in to 20 because you are half way there?

·
Registered
422 Posts
The Dreaded OBLISERV! Damn, NCC couldn't get his Shiet together.. and tried to make me re-up as a MA.. I chose 1) AO 2) HM 3) MA.. Just Make sure when u choose your 3.. It's 3 that you would definitely consider doing.. I halfassed my last choice and that's what I got back.. So, definitely think it over bro.. I was pissed when NCC came at me with MA.. I told him the only way I'd take MA was if they sent me to K-9 School and then send me to Bahrain.. And he said no, so I said "I'm out!!" And here I am wishing I were back in..

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are thinking of PTS or Perform to Serve. This is just them saying that they aren't going to send me anywhere on orders unless I will be there for a full tour, meaning 4 years. I am a 1st class so they can not PTS me. It is just for 1st termers I believe. I am stuck between the proverbial rock and a hard place though.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Ah.. Naruhodo.. Hmm.. kinda makes me wish I would've enlisted in the end of June instead of Apr.. I heard I made GM1 after I had gotten out.. Talk about a kick in the sack eh?:nutkick

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
dude, i would get out and move to san diego and then just bite the bullet. if you wait until the time is right, then you'll be waiting for, well, ever.

a'int nothing to it but to do it bro. extend there for as long as you can, save up some coin and have some cash to rely on when you get out.

and as for finishing your 20 when you're halfway there, screw those who say that b/c that is 10 years of BS, if your unhappy then your unhappy and i don't see how putting up with an extra 10 years of unhappiness just to get free medical that is worth crap anyway. and also think of it this way, in that 10 years, that is 2 more sea tours and at least 4 more deployments, and not to mention the IA assignment you're almost guaranteed to go on.

you can't put a price on happiness bro.

·
Squid
31 Posts
For me it was "how am I going to take care of my kids". Now with there not being any good jobs to be had, I'm glad I stuck it out. The retirment check is small but it is something. And with it I can make ends meat until I find a better job.

·
Registered
20 Posts
With the Real Estate market the way it is right now, the longer you can put it off the better. Your not going to make any money in Real Estate for several years to come.

·
Registered
422 Posts
dude, i would get out and move to san diego and then just bite the bullet. if you wait until the time is right, then you'll be waiting for, well, ever.

a'int nothing to it but to do it bro. extend there for as long as you can, save up some coin and have some cash to rely on when you get out.

and as for finishing your 20 when you're halfway there, screw those who say that b/c that is 10 years of BS, if your unhappy then your unhappy and i don't see how putting up with an extra 10 years of unhappiness just to get free medical that is worth crap anyway. and also think of it this way, in that 10 years, that is 2 more sea tours and at least 4 more deployments, and not to mention the IA assignment you're almost guaranteed to go on.

you can't put a price on happiness bro.
No you can't put a price on happiness.. But shiet bro.. I'm not happy out here in the Civilian sector at all.. it freaking BLOWS!! For some people we're better off staying in the military.. Especially, if we need structure in our daily routine.. The Grass ALWAYS looks greener on the other side.. And remember out here in the Civilian Sector there is NO such thing as a Guaranteed Paycheck, and Guaranteed Medical Benefits..

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Real Estate in California is still one of the best professions to be in. Even with a slow economy, people are losing their jobs and have to sell their houses. Real Estate agents get to sell them.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No you can't put a price on happiness.. But shiet bro.. I'm not happy out here in the Civilian sector at all.. it freaking BLOWS!! For some people we're better off staying in the military.. Especially, if we need structure in our daily routine.. The Grass ALWAYS looks greener on the other side.. And remember out here in the Civilian Sector there is NO such thing as a Guaranteed Paycheck, and Guaranteed Medical Benefits..
I was thinking about it a little bit on the way back to work this morning, I jsut don't really like having LCPO's, CO's, and others in the chain of command that have as much control over me as they do.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I was thinking about it a little bit on the way back to work this morning, I jsut don't really like having LCPO's, CO's, and others in the chain of command that have as much control over me as they do.
It's pretty much the same out here, but out here you have to worry about whether or not you're gonna get fired, laid off, or sued or all the above.. At least in the Navy you really can't get fired, you definitely won't get laid off, and you'll probably just be counseled..

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'll put it to ya the same way everyone else who had previously gotten out and came back in told me.. "If you have the SLIGHTEST doubt about getting out, Don't do it.." But if you know 100% it's what you want to do, and you yourself can guarantee that your plan will work, then by all means go for it.. But if you have the slightest bit of doubt stay in until you can make that guarantee for yourself.. My VA Rep at school, she got out after 18 years of service.. Granted it was considered early retirement, but still what's 2 more years to have full benefits immediately versus waiting until ur 65 to et those benefits.. She actually, had everything setup when she got out so that she didn't have to worry about the military pension..

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is just them saying that they aren't going to send me anywhere on orders unless I will be there for a full tour, meaning 4 years.
Not sure what Navy you are in, but in the Navy I am in a full accompanied tour is three years. I also see you are in Great Lakes, which means shore duty. So unless you are a Corpsman, you should be looking at sea duty.
Transfer to San Diego, get your real estate stuff going in your off time. That way you will know first hand whether or not you can do real estate full time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts