1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apex Man Seriously Injured When Motorcycle Collides With Black Bear
Accident Occurs On West Virginia Turnpike

POSTED: 12:48 am EDT July 27, 2004

MARMET, W. Va. -- A motorcyclist from Apex was injured when his bike collided with a black bear Monday on the West Virginia Turnpike.

The man's name was not immediately released. He was transported to Charleston Area Medical Center General Hospital, where he was in serious condition.

State police say the accident occurred while the bear crossed the road. Officials said the bear was hit by a second vehicle then crawled to the side of the road and died.

·
Politically incorrect
508 Posts
I had a close call with a bear (mother and cub) many years ago, but run ins with deer are very common. A friend of mine who owned the local Indian dealership was killed two years ago, and wife seriously hurt when they hit a deer. Another friend who owned an Indian had a deer jump on him while riding. He crashed, but was OK. I have had numerous close calls with deer.

I used to love to ride at night when I was growing up in Ohio, but with so many deer here in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan, I dread riding at night - even in town!

·
who......me????
293 Posts
^^^+1 way too many close calls with deer!! only one with a bear though

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Frick'n dear, they're like rats. iiiish. I lived in Wi and there were every where...

Hope the guy pulls through. wonder if the State police will let him keep the bear and stuff it?? A little souviner for wadding his bike...

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
we dont have problems with deer down here but stray fu*@ing dogs.. oh man i had a couple close calls

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
There are deer every here every time you go out at night you see them all over. I do live in the sticks though and there are a lot of farms with corn fields. The worst is the guy with the apple orchird.

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
Am I the only one feeling sorry for the bear and envisioning it crawling across the road to die after having been hit twice? Imagine what must have been going through the bear's head, if he was capable of such higher brain function. What a rotten day he was having!

·
Registered
394 Posts
I came close to hitting a deer just after I got my first bike. Minnesota is also infested with the bashtards. Cruising the freeway at about 10:00 at night, 70 mph, came around a slight bend in the road and out jumps a deer about 10 feet in front of me. How I ever missed it I'll never know. My hands and legs were shaking so bad I had to pull over to calm down. Needless to say I haven't and will never ride again close to dusk or at night.

·
Registered
84 Posts
wow that wold have a suck factor around 14 on scale of 10...

I've hit a cat and a few smaller woodland creatures....but damn a bear.....ouch

·
Registered
70 Posts
TheWraith said:
Am I the only one feeling sorry for the bear and envisioning it crawling across the road to die after having been hit twice? Imagine what must have been going through the bear's head, if he was capable of such higher brain function. What a rotten day he was having!
I'm with Wraith. Get a bad feeling for the poor bear getting blasted twice. Maybe I watched to much Grizzley Adams growing up.

Feel bad for the rider too of course. I guess he should be greatful though that bear was critically wounded. Imagine glancing off a grizzley and going down. Grizzley isn't hurt really, just pissed off. Then he sees you lying on the side of the road wafting the smell of blood into his nostrils. Oh man, that would notbe fun. Your gear would turn you into a burrito for him!

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
I'm invisioning a cute, cuddly, zoo-like bear that rolls around and plays for the crowd.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Agreed.... not sure I'd wanna get hit TWICE before death. As Hank Hill would say... JUST KILL ME NOW!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Sucks for both of them. Bear was just minding it's on business strolling around the area like it usually does. Rider is just minding his own business also just cruising the roads as usual and then that happens.

I feel bad for animals because they don't know any better.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Kinda like stupid people.... they don't even know they're stupid. Ha ha!

·
Registered
646 Posts
are you kidding me? that is absolutely crazy man!! but seriously though, i live in nyc...dont get too much deer or wild life out here. more like japbike said, i actually have the rats, and they go smoosh without much fight...i used to ride in jersey tho, but even then that was sane.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
that would suck for both the rider and the bear, just glad we don't have anything like that around here.

·
Registered
290 Posts
TheWraith said:
I'm invisioning a cute, cuddly, zoo-like bear that rolls around and plays for the crowd.
Wearing a pink tu-tu and balancing a ball on his nose while he crosses the street?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Clipped a deer once in my cage. Sunrise, whole packing of 'em crossing the road, lucky I only caught a glancing blow off of one. Sounded like a bomb. SOB had a seizure for like 5 minutes, then got up and ran away. Never fixed the mirror and bodywork, that car was a piece.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts