Sport Bikes banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I'll have another IPA!
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent about 90 minutes checking and synchronizing the throttle bodies today, and thought I would offer my opinion on the task.

1- Contrary to the service manual, you do NOT need to remove the air box! The vacuum tubing is accessible after you remove the tank.

2- The 4mm tubes from each body are terminated with barbed plugs. So, after removing these, you will need (4) 4mm tubing couplings to connect to your vacuum gauge tubing. In other words, you won’t be placing the female end of your vacuum gauge tube on to an existing male fitting. Just be prepared…this slowed me down!

3- Unless you want to have a big mess on your hands, do this task with about a gallon of gas in the tank. You will have to disconnect and reconnect 3 hoses twice, and it is just easier to handle without the weight.

4-All of my effort to setup for this job resulted in moving ONE screw ¼ of a turn to get all 4 bodies within specs!!! Oh well, at least I know it is correct. I can remember having to adjust the carbs on my old Kawasaki Z-1’s about every 60 days to keep them close.

That’s it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
so did you use a vacuum gauge set to set it..my fz6 has started to run a little rough at idle .i think i need to do this too..i need to purchase a carb/fi balancer though..have u ever used those homemade ones with tubing and liquid?..whats the best to get..vacuum gauges..or those mercury tubes..so after you remove the tank u have access to the vacuum hoses?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Yeah, if anyone has any recommendation on a set of non-mercury gauges, do tell. I don't want to pay $150 for a carbmate, but I don't really want to deal with the mercury either. Am I out of luck?

Anthony

·
I'll have another IPA!
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fraggle1 said:
Yeah, if anyone has any recommendation on a set of non-mercury gauges, do tell. I don't want to pay $150 for a carbmate, but I don't really want to deal with the mercury either. Am I out of luck?

Anthony
I use analog vacuum gauges that I have had for 20+ years. They are quite accurate, but the company that made them is out of business. There appears to be a few companies that sell vacuum gauge sets, like MotionPro and Brymar . If you really wanted to, you could make your own gauge setup for less than $50. Just buy (4) 2% 0-30" panel mount vacuum gauges from a good industrial supply house, bore matching holes in a piece of 1/4" plywood, and you are set.

BTW, I have used mercury tubes in the past, and they are very clear and easy to use. It's really a personal preference.

John

·
Registered
63 Posts
I know the service manual indicates that you should remove the tank, but I was wondering whether you think it would be possible to synch the throttle bodies by just tilting the tank back and propping it up. Would there be enough room to get to the adjustment screws if the tank was just tilted?

·
Professional Cat Herder
712 Posts
FZ6Rider said:
I know the service manual indicates that you should remove the tank, but I was wondering whether you think it would be possible to synch the throttle bodies by just tilting the tank back and propping it up. Would there be enough room to get to the adjustment screws if the tank was just tilted?
Yes you can do it just propping the tank up. I bought the Motion Pro Economy Carb Tool for $40 and it took all of 30 minutes to do. Most of the time was spent taking off the panels and such. Not hard at all. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts