Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
it'll still cost too much to be viable for anyone with a brain.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,883 Posts
The CB300R has no relationship at all to the CBR250:

Honda CB 300R.jpg

It's an air cooled thumper derived of the CB250X, 26hp instead of 24. People should think before starting rumors like that.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
But it's a Honda. The brain washed masses will swear it runs on wishes and only unicorn tears come out the exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Even if they bored it out to 400cc, it would probably STILL be less powerful than the old kawi 250 ;) . Honda is special that way.

On that note, there used to be a street legal version of the XR400. They oughta just plop that motor into the thing. Only about 30hp, but enough torque to feel faster than it is.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I mean I guess it'd be ok if you lived in the city and used it to commute. I just don't get it. Nnless its really light which makes it quicker than the CBR250R or whatever honda's 250 is. Still no way it will compete with a Ninja 300....

·
Registered
743 Posts
Single-cylinder motors are for dirtbikes. That's where they should stay.
A lot of people would say a 600-700cc single is the best all around motor. Lets you have a very light bike (if they don't cheap out) and although they don't make the same kind of hp as multi-cylinder bike, they make a lot of torque across the board. They also usually get great gas mileage.
EX: KTM690, 60+hp, ~300lbs, 50-60mpg (though not as smooth as some of the others)

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,883 Posts
Even if they bored it out to 400cc, it would probably STILL be less powerful than the old kawi 250 ;) . Honda is special that way.

On that note, there used to be a street legal version of the XR400. They oughta just plop that motor into the thing. Only about 30hp, but enough torque to feel faster than it is.
Look for Honda NX4 Falcon. It has the engine from a 400cc quad, 30 something hp, slow as molasses, still being manufactured in Brazil and you can get a brand new one in Mexico.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,883 Posts
A lot of people would say a 600-700cc single is the best all around motor. Lets you have a very light bike (if they don't cheap out) and although they don't make the same kind of hp as multi-cylinder bike, they make a lot of torque across the board. They also usually get great gas mileage.
EX: KTM690, 60+hp, ~300lbs, 50-60mpg (though not as smooth as some of the others)
What about NO?

Even high strung thumpers, like the KTM 690 will not be able to touch a low stressed V-Twin like the Suzuki 650 mill on the SVF650 / DL650. The twin will make more power, will be smoother and the bike won't be all that much heavier.

I'd never own a thumper as my only bike, and that is coming from a guy that owns two thumpers.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I honestly cannot imagine Honda putting out a CBR300 with the CB300 thumper mill....

that's just fucking lazy.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have no shame in riding a CBR250R, as a guy who rides to get some sun and fresh air and to take it easy on the wallet it fits me to a tee. I can afford to buy insurance for this thing and the whopping 82 bucks a month payment. Its brilliant for the big city and dont knock it till you check out the handling. 20 pds lighter and a shorter wheelbase than the Ninja 300, it handles like a knife thru butter especially since I put Rosso II tires on it.
I am having more fun on this than my old ZX9 and ZXR1200 which were fat pigs.
I'm not sure I will ever buy a inline4 again, on paper this thumper has no torque but when you are on it it does.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,883 Posts
I honestly cannot imagine Honda putting out a CBR300 with the CB300 thumper mill....

that's just fucking lazy.
No, it makes sense from a business POV. Believe it or not, the CBR250 target market is not just the USA, ASEAN countries make up for most of the sales. Boring/stroking that engine to 300cc is feasible, would require minimal changes to the production line, and would keep the CBR300 competitive in the US market.

Now it will probably take Honda 2 years to decide whether they will make it or not, another 2 years to actually get to do it, and after a couple years it will get cancelled because the price will be too close to the CBR500.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I have no shame in riding a CBR250R, as a guy who rides to get some sun and fresh air and to take it easy on the wallet it fits me to a tee. I can afford to buy insurance for this thing and the whopping 82 bucks a month payment. Its brilliant for the big city and dont knock it till you check out the handling. 20 pds lighter and a shorter wheelbase than the Ninja 300, it handles like a knife thru butter especially since I put Rosso II tires on it.
I am having more fun on this than my old ZX9 and ZXR1200 which were fat pigs.
I'm not sure I will ever buy a inline4 again, on paper this thumper has no torque but when you are on it it does.
Yikes. I live in Louisiana, one of the most expensive to insure states (due to so many uninsured motorists) and have full coverage + medical and uninsured motorist for 30 a month.

What about NO?

Even high strung thumpers, like the KTM 690 will not be able to touch a low stressed V-Twin like the Suzuki 650 mill on the SVF650 / DL650. The twin will make more power, will be smoother and the bike won't be all that much heavier.

I'd never own a thumper as my only bike, and that is coming from a guy that owns two thumpers.
No on what? are you saying the thumpers don't get better mileage or don't weigh less?

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,883 Posts
No on what? are you saying the thumpers don't get better mileage or don't weigh less?
On this:

A lot of people would say a 600-700cc single is the best all around motor.
They make for awesome commuter bikes, dirt bikes, trail bikes, dirt bikes, but all around bikes... Not.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Yikes. I live in Louisiana, one of the most expensive to insure states (due to so many uninsured motorists) and have full coverage + medical and uninsured motorist for 30 a month.
I take that to mean the payment on the bike. Maybe we're both wrong. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts