Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Article

Motorcyclist killed; driver later charged

A motorcyclist trying to avoid a collision was killed early Wednesday when he was struck by a car.

Kyle Zey, 20, of Cedar Falls saw an oncoming car cross the median and drive toward him about 1:10 a.m., police said. Police said he laid his motorcycle down on the road in anticipation of a crash, but was struck by the car, driven by Jeremy Sawyer, 25, of Cedar Falls.

The car missed the motorcycle but struck Zey, who died instantly, police said. The car was driven away.

Police found Sawyer at his home several hours later and charged him with vehicular homicide and leaving the scene of an accident that resulted in death. Police said Sawyer had been drinking before the accident.

Sawyer was being held in the Black Hawk County Jail Wednesday on $250,000 bond.

·
Registered
110 Posts
That makes me sick to my stomach and very PISSED off.

How could anyone drive away from just hitting another human being??
Doesn't matter that it's a motorcyclist, it could have been a child on a bicycle that this drunk might have hit. Either way, he took a life and then drove on his merry way home and probably passed out in a drunken stupor.

·
Registered
558 Posts
at least they charged the driver, unfortunately in alot of these accidents with no witnesses its assumed that the motorcyclist is automatically at fault.

·
Registered
994 Posts
jpg35 said:
Article
Police said he laid his motorcycle down on the road in anticipation of a crash, but was struck by the car, driven by Jeremy Sawyer, 25, of Cedar Falls.
QUOTE]
Never lay your bike down; you have the most control with the rubber sided down. Never give up. I know of at least one accident where the bike hit a truck and the rider leaped over the truck and came out with no serious injurious.

RIP

·
Registered
522 Posts
Ghost Rider said:
jpg35 said:
Article
Police said he laid his motorcycle down on the road in anticipation of a crash, but was struck by the car, driven by Jeremy Sawyer, 25, of Cedar Falls.
QUOTE]
Never lay your bike down; you have the most control with the rubber sided down. Never give up. I know of at least one accident where the bike hit a truck and the rider leaped over the truck and came out with no serious injurious.

RIP
Agreed, I'm sure if he had control of the bike there could have been something else he could have done to avoid that car. Beginner maybe? Anyways, RIP. Atleast they got the driver...

·
Registered
348 Posts
Mucho Gonzales said:
what kind of person kills someone and just drives away?
A drunk one who realizes they're going to jail.

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
they should realize they are screwed anyway, and would get into more trouble for leaving the accident.

but it's the mindset that really gets to me. leaving someone dead in the road that you killed, how can someone do that and not feel obligated to try and help? that is what scares me about riding a motorcycle the most.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I hope they throw the book at his punk a$$!! He deserves it. :asshole

·
Registered
61 Posts
Myself I try to avoid riding at night if possible, too many drunks, crazies and animals on the road, not to mention it's already hard for cars to see us.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is Iowa where that happened so I am not hoping for much. A couple of motorcycles got his a year or so ago and the driver got off with hardly anything. granted the driver n that case wasn't drunk, but still. Doesn't make them any less dead.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts