Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went for a ride tonight and a couple of times when downshifting to a stop I couldn't get as far as neutral or first. We stopped off and checked why this was doing it and no one could figure it out. If I turned off the bike, waited for a second then turned it back on it downshifted to neutral and first, but at a few stops I had trouble with this. I have a 250 ninja, just did an oil/filter change on it this weekend and it has 883 miles. Can anyone tell me why this is happening? :confused:
 

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
Joined
·
5,894 Posts
It may be perfectly normal. Just let the clutch a little bit while pushing down the lever, or move the bike a feet forward and try again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually tried that.. they said to roll forward a little to see if it would 'unstick' and it didn't. Why is that normal? Its never done that to me before.. Kinda sucks when you have to roll off in second and a car is behind you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,722 Posts
You might want to check to make sure your clutch is adjusted properly. Next time it starts happening, count your downshifts to make sure what gear you are in. Sometimes the nuetral indicator light may be bad and you might actually have gotten to first and been un able to downshift anymore.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
MsDixie... Speaking from my own personal experiences, you should check out your clutch adjustment. I've run into similar troubles with my GSXR and my Harley and only had to make quick adjustments to the clutch cable in both cases. Hope this helps out.
 

·
old member
Joined
·
13,079 Posts
xoMSdixieGirLxo said:
I went for a ride tonight and a couple of times when downshifting to a stop I couldn't get as far as neutral or first. We stopped off and checked why this was doing it and no one could figure it out. If I turned off the bike, waited for a second then turned it back on it downshifted to neutral and first, but at a few stops I had trouble with this. I have a 250 ninja, just did an oil/filter change on it this weekend and it has 883 miles. Can anyone tell me why this is happening? :confused:
Did this start only immediately after the oil change? If so, what type/weight or oil did you put in? What does your manual say to use? The transmission and clutch are in the same oil as the engine. Some clutches are really sensitive to type of oil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,927 Posts
RayOSV said:
Did this start only immediately after the oil change? If so, what type/weight or oil did you put in? What does your manual say to use? The transmission and clutch are in the same oil as the engine. Some clutches are really sensitive to type of oil.

Yeah if you put in "Energy Conserving" motor oil, it will make your clutch slip and not engage properly.
Also, the linkage from the shifter to the gearbox can come loose and it will cause shifting problems. You need to make sure it is adjusted properly and the tightening nuts are tight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kazlab67 said:
Yeah if you put in "Energy Conserving" motor oil, it will make your clutch slip and not engage properly.
Also, the linkage from the shifter to the gearbox can come loose and it will cause shifting problems. You need to make sure it is adjusted properly and the tightening nuts are tight.
Yes, it didn't start happening until the oil change, and I used what the manual recommended. (Went to the Kawasaki shop and asked them what I needed) When I get a chance this week I will check all the connections. Thanks for your responses guys.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top