Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i got a stupid friggin screw jammed nicely in my new rear tire. i tried slipping it out to see if it punctured and it started hissing at me so i pushed it back in before it lost any air. is there a patch sorta thing u can buy from a dealer to patch that sort of thing... cause hell... im not sure what kinda products are out there.

thanx

·
i ride sideways
1,525 Posts
not really the best thing to do, but i just plugged my old tire that picked up a nail and it was fine; although it was in the tread and not on the surface of the tire. all the tire shops i went to said it was too much of a liability and they wouldnt patch my tire for me.

·
retired from here
4,122 Posts
some people will disagree but it is not always a good idea to patch a radial tire. in fact it is not allowed at all in england and europe. that aside there are patch/plugs that have been used in the past without problems. it looks like a patch with a built on plug that gets pulled through the hole. if you go that route you will need to lower the max speed that you ride.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know it sucks...but...once you put a hole in a tire, it compromises it's structure. You could try and put a plug in it, but you will really be taking your chances. You may have no problems, but you could also have a catastrophic failure. Personally, not something I would take a chance on. Motorcycle tires rely on all parts of their design working together in order to obtain the desired performance and safety. If a belt is compromised (you might not be able to see it), the tire will be weaker and will deform un-uniformly (if that's even a word...) under load causing unpredictable effects.

Be smart and safe, pony up for a new one...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts