Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...which one is better to use? The computer I have (bought in feb 04) came with Norton on it. The free trial expired so i'm debating on what to get. I know i have some sort of hack in my system (nothing serious). I just spent the last hour at Compusa with other people arguing which one was better. Will probably get the same thing here but would like to hear peoples thoughts.

Which one would you pick and why?

·
i ride sideways
1,525 Posts
well ive got mcafee on my comp right now, couldnt tell you why, think it came with the computer. it does a pretty good job of gettin rid of infected crap, dont know what else there is, so im gonna end this sucky review of mcafee viruscan....... now.

·
20,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol...well thanks for the informative review. :twofinger

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
Fuck Norton and Mcaffee.

Get the free stuff from Grisoft. It's called AVG. It gets updated and everything just like Norton and McAffee. Only this one is free.

I've been using it for a few months now, and have had a much better experience with it than I did with Norton (had the last 2 years) and McAffee (had the 2 years before that.)

Here is a link to where you can check it out:
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

They give the program away free to single home users, because they make all of their money by selling their software and other programs to business customers.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Grisoft for free, and Nortons hasnt given me a problem the past few years. I dont like McAffee much at all, but also, at work we sell Panda Titanium 7.0 which isnt very popular to home users because they are a high end business type of virus protection, and from what i've seen and read, supposed to be very very good. Not to mention half the price of Nortons/McAffee.

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
Dump all of it and get the best. NOD32. Proven in many independent tests to be far better than norton mcaffee or agv. Its alszo by far faster than the rest. www.eset.com
Taken off the nod site.....

NOD32 received its 27th Virus Bulletin 100% Award!
06/01/2004
For more than six years, NOD32 remains the only antivirus system in the world that has not missed any 'In the Wild' virus in the prestigious tests performed by the international magazine - Virus Bulletin.

·
Banned
730 Posts
I'd go w/ Norton only because McAffe has never made motorcycles. :)

·
20,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I installed Norton Firewall last night and man...did it slow my computer down..ALOT. I had to uninstall it this morning because it felt like I was on dial-up.

·
SBN's Slowest Member
1,312 Posts
notons systemworks and firewall works great toghther.

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
Norton is better...Mcafee is like a virus. Whatever you do, do not install that crazy Mcafee Security Center...it will take over you PC.

·
20,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jluu6r said:
notons systemworks and firewall works great toghther.
I installed the firewall last night and removed it this morning because the internet and everything is running super slow.

·
Banned
245 Posts
im using zonealarm for a firewall. my engineer buddy, no not castertroy, recommended it.

I dont run antivirus anymore because they lag my system down too much. I'll try the AVG stuff grimp talked about. I hate norton. Its a pain in the ass to uninstall and leaves crap in the registry.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Free virus protection and firewall

I build computers for people here in my small town and I have to agree with gimp, screw Norton and Mcafee. I have had a virus only twice in 4 years and my software was able to get it out. I use Avast virus protection and sygate for a firewall. A firewall is only as good as you. When something tries to get in or out you have to allow it and if you don't know what your allowing your screwing yourself. Neither of these two programs seem to slow my three computers down and they are compatible with all windows os. Avast is free for a year if you register it and it updates itself for you. Both programs are very small compared to Mcafee or Norton. Uninstall your Norton or Mcafee and then go these links and download them. Then open up avast and do a complete system scan. I have a friend that had Norton with a quarintined virus that it couldn't delete, he installed avast and it deleted the virus and found two more and got rid of those as well.

http://www.avast.com/eng/download/programs/avast_4_home_downloa.html

http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm

1 - 16 of 16 Posts