Sport Bikes banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm moving back down to the area for a while.anybody here in the area? and are there any good freshwater fishing spots around? any lakes around i can use a 60hp gas motor in?

·
John 18:33-37
4,016 Posts
You can zip around in Tampa Bay with that rig, no problem. And there is plenty of great fishing on the flats - Trout, Snook, Redfish, Tarpon (yes, Tarpon - I put a guest on my boat on a fish nearly 6ft long in 3ft of water), shark, etc.

If you decide to get into the Bay, let me know. I'll see if I can get you a chart of the Bay as well as documentation that specifies the areas of the Bay that you're not allowed to enter due to security and safety zones.

IMHO, the freshwater fish just don't tug on the line as well as the saltwater fish around here.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you think that'd be OK in the Bay? it's only a 15'.

i'm sure the fish are a little b***** and everything in the salts,but i doubt my rods will hold up to that. the biggest rod i have,is a Pflueger 6'6'' medium. cause up here in PA,basicly all we have is trout,and small bass. so i usually use a 5'6'' Ultra-light Pflueger. when i got the boat,we started hooking 40-50'' tiger musky,and some decent stripers and cats,so i got the b***** rod. i'm thinking down there,i'm gonna need more like a 7' heavy with 30+lb line....

·
John 18:33-37
4,016 Posts
With the exception of the b***** fish (Kingfish, reef donkeys, etc.), I use 6ft to 6-6 medium action spinning rods with Shimano Stradic 400FG and similar Shimano Sahara reels spooled with 20lb PowerPro with a 3-4ft 20lb fluorocarbon leader.

When I throw topwaters for the trout, snook, and reds, I use a Shimano Calcutta reel on a 6ft medium action rod with a slower tip.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
With the exception of the b***** fish (Kingfish, reef donkeys, etc.), I use 6ft to 6-6 medium action spinning rods with Shimano Stradic 400FG and similar Shimano Sahara reels spooled with 20lb PowerPro with a 3-4ft 20lb fluorocarbon leader.

When I throw topwaters for the trout, snook, and reds, I use a Shimano Calcutta reel on a 6ft medium action rod with a slower tip.
The old fisherman of the sea...:lao

1 - 7 of 7 Posts