Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm comin home from Afghanistan soon and have been scopin bikes on craigslist for a while from around my area. I've been in talks with a guy about a Kawasaki Zx-6R and he keeps using the term "Normal" for his titles. Is this the same as clean? Here's what he says about the title and the bike I'm lookin at. It sounds pretty legit to me but I know you guys on SBN know a LOT more than me. Check it out:

"My titles are mostly all one owner titles. As they were repossessed from too high of a sale price from and original dealer sale that the banks repo...All titles are one owner original miles and in good condition. I do this as a one person dealer now and re prep them to fully serviced condition"

Is this a common practice? Is "normal" same as a clean title? Will I have any problem registering/insuring a bike like this?

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Uhh, maybe. I would talk with the dmv to see if the title is truthfully clear and has no lien on it. Rarely or never trust everything a former owner says.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I would contact the DMV and/or your county tax collector's office and ask them directly if a vehicle that has been repossesed can have a clear title. I know the MWR internet and haji net sucks over there, so I'll do you a favor and do a little searching for you.

Ah, here we go...Hillsborough County Tax Collector: (813) 635 - 5200 officemainpage

Personnally I'd stay away from any bike with any drama behind it. There are far too many bikes out there at cheap prices to take a risk on something with less than a perfectly clean history. Take some leave when you get home and travel up north (got family anywhere besides Tampa?) and find a bike that's been put away for the winter and presumably forgotten about it. There are plenty of sellers up north looking for Christmas cash.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
As far as I know, a vehicle that has a title with it can't have a lien on it. The lender holds onto a lien until the vehicle is paid off. The only situations I can think of in which a vehicle with a clean title could have a lien on it would be if a) the seller physically stole the title from the lender or b) the title is fake. Both of these possibilities seem pretty remote to me.

I didn't see where the seller listed the title as 'normal' in the add you quoted.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
His sentences are phrased really weird. I'd worry about a scam. Are these bikes you can actually see, or is he offering to ship them to you?

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
A vehicle with a title CAN have a lien. Liens do not always show up in print on the title, like if a mechanic took one out against a car because of failure to pay for repairs or something to that effect.

it's why you should always go to the DMV with the person you buy a vehicle from, if at all possible. Or at least call up with the VIN and make sure it's clear.

Anyways, in this case, unless you have the title in your hand and can take the bike with you, don't buy it. Don't even THINK about buying anything sight-unseen, if that is what you are doing.

Reactions: max384

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's the link for the bike: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R Bright red. New tires

I'm in Afghanistan right now but I'm at Ft Riley (Manhattan) Kansas back in the states, and I'll be back late December/Early January. I emailed him and told him I was interested and to keep me in mind, and he said I could make a small deposit and he would hold the bike for me. I know the name of his business, phone number, etc.

And btw thanks Skirvdawg

·
Registered
562 Posts
A vehicle with a title CAN have a lien. Liens do not always show up in print on the title, like if a mechanic took one out against a car because of failure to pay for repairs or something to that effect.
it's why you should always go to the DMV with the person you buy a vehicle from, if at all possible. Or at least call up with the VIN and make sure it's clear.

Anyways, in this case, unless you have the title in your hand and can take the bike with you, don't buy it. Don't even THINK about buying anything sight-unseen, if that is what you are doing.
If youre driving a Vehicle with a Lein on it, then You won't (shouldn't) have posession of the title... I would imagine anyone who put a Lien on your vehicle would then posess the title, atleast I would imagine thats how it would work in the legal world...

·
Registered
100 Posts
The only way I could see a title having a lien on it and the owner still having the title is if there is a mechanics lien on the title. My dad has done this twice to people that have left vehicles at his house when he was doing sidework for them and they never paid.

Its easy enough to figure out, if you call the DMV they can tell you in about two seconds.

The seller sounds like my buddy who owns the shop I bought my bike at. He buys and sells bikes that have been repossessed, dropped with a salvage title, or anything else and then resells them for side profit. Also the guy may just be trying to distinguish between a clear title and a salvage title and isn't typing very clearly.

At any rate, don't give anyone a DIME without seeing the bike and looking over everything, including background info on the title. Paperwork can be confusing, so when you get back stateside do some research and be thorough.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Here's the link for the bike: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R Bright red. New tires

I'm in Afghanistan right now but I'm at Ft Riley (Manhattan) Kansas back in the states, and I'll be back late December/Early January. I emailed him and told him I was interested and to keep me in mind, and he said I could make a small deposit and he would hold the bike for me. I know the name of his business, phone number, etc.

And btw thanks Skirvdawg
Don't give him a deposit. That's just asking for trouble. I wouldn't email anyone about a bike until you're home and can actually look at it in person.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Don't give him a deposit. That's just asking for trouble. I wouldn't email anyone about a bike until you're home and can actually look at it in person.
yeah no shit. there are a million bikes out there you can buy, don't waste your money on the first scam you see.

but he might also mean it's not a salvage title or something like that.

·
pppfffffff
609 Posts
If youre driving a Vehicle with a Lein on it, then You won't (shouldn't) have posession of the title... I would imagine anyone who put a Lien on your vehicle would then posess the title, atleast I would imagine thats how it would work in the legal world...
When you have a lein on your vehicle in Michigan the buyer has the actual title. The credit union or bank just puts a very small stamp on it and then they photo copy it. You keep the actual title.

·
Registered
562 Posts
When you have a lein on your vehicle in Michigan the buyer has the actual title. The credit union or bank just puts a very small stamp on it and then they photo copy it. You keep the actual title.
Thats weird... You'd think the "Owner" would always keep the title...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yes, the more of a story there is behind the title, the worse. These guys always make it sound like a really easy trip to the DMV and bam, it's transferred. That's not usually the case though. I only buy a bike if they sign the actual pink slip over that's IN THE SELLERS name. No complications.

·
Registered
562 Posts
well I think you can't sell something that has a lien on it. that's the point.
Exactly... and if someone who doesn't own the bike has the title, even with a stamp on it it seems like there would be an opportunity for dupeing the title and selling it, even though theres a lein... if theres a lein then that person doesn't have a title to even try to sell the bike... Just seems safer for the bank of whoever technicly owns the bike to hold onto the title...

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The only way I could see a title having a lien on it and the owner still having the title is if there is a mechanics lien on the title. My dad has done this twice to people that have left vehicles at his house when he was doing sidework for them and they never paid.

Its easy enough to figure out, if you call the DMV they can tell you in about two seconds.

The seller sounds like my buddy who owns the shop I bought my bike at. He buys and sells bikes that have been repossessed, dropped with a salvage title, or anything else and then resells them for side profit. Also the guy may just be trying to distinguish between a clear title and a salvage title and isn't typing very clearly.

At any rate, don't give anyone a DIME without seeing the bike and looking over everything, including background info on the title. Paperwork can be confusing, so when you get back stateside do some research and be thorough.
In Misouri, the buyer keeps the title. It has section for lienholder with an address. They started doing that about five years ago.

·
Registered
695 Posts
His sentences are phrased really weird. I'd worry about a scam. Are these bikes you can actually see, or is he offering to ship them to you?
I agree, sounds fishy. I would personal stay away from any kind of dealer, which it seems this guy is just that. There are plenty of actual bike owners that are selling their well cared for property. This guy is selling bank repossessions.

Ask the guy if his name is on the normal one owner title. I bet it's not. I don't even mess with crap like that.

·
Registered
695 Posts
When I refinanced my truck, Ford finance sent me the clear title. My credit union never asked for it.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
In Misouri, the buyer keeps the title. It has section for lienholder with an address. They started doing that about five years ago.
ohio started keeping the title. I was told by my bank I have to pay the state of ohio a fee to get it when I paid off my loan. otherwise they just keep it on record.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts