Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today at work I was taking out the trash and I heard a sportbike looked like a honda cbr, well anyways the guy opened up the throttle and the bike just roared and just sped off, but after a few seconds I heard a loud pop. Whats that pop from, was it something bad. Kinda sounded like he did something bad to the engine?

·
Registered
951 Posts
He probably banged the rev limiter when he shifted, and unburnt gas lit off in the exhaust. Not a big deal.

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
Most hondas I've heard (VF700F, CBR600F Hurricane, ST1100) tend to backfire more than the other bikes (Suzuki Burgman, Suzi Katana 600, Kawi EX250 and 500, ZX600) I've heard. Maybe it has to do with the way their carburetion is set up or something. Both my Interceptor and my roommate's ST tend to backfire (not much, just very minor rumbling pop noises that aren't TOO noticable) on engine braking.

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
I had a Two Bros Full Exhaust on my F2, and it would Pop everytime I engine braked.. Sounded sweet.

·
Registered
951 Posts
pmoney said:
aka it back fired
Incorrect, it was afterfire. Backfires are badddddd, when combustion occurs in the intake manifold or prior, aka the engine fires 'back', opposite of the way it should be. Afterfire is when the unburnt fuel ignites in the exhaust, making a pop and often (on catless vehicles) a burst of flame out the tailpipe(s). Afterfire is harmless, though may or may not be evidence of incorrect tuning.

Please keep in mind the distinction between these two terms.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My hurricane loves to snap crackle and pop when engine braking.

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
sictight311 said:
My hurricane loves to snap crackle and pop when engine braking.
Hmm, I like the sound of that. Maybe they could base some kind of breakfast cereal on it.... :)

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
IMPerfection said:
Incorrect, it was afterfire. Backfires are badddddd, when combustion occurs in the intake manifold or prior, aka the engine fires 'back', opposite of the way it should be. Afterfire is when the unburnt fuel ignites in the exhaust, making a pop and often (on catless vehicles) a burst of flame out the tailpipe(s). Afterfire is harmless, though may or may not be evidence of incorrect tuning.

Thanks for the distinction. I didn't know there was one. Learn something new every day.

IMPerfection said:
So does my SRT-4. Great sound, isn't it .
Yes. Yes, it is :beer

·
IM A BAD ASS WITH A STICK
374 Posts
IMPerfection said:

when i worked at a landscape company i use to make the lawn mower back fire. sounded like a gun shot it was the coolest ever!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts