Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking at getting a 96 yamaha seca 2. i noticed that the fairing doesn't cover as much of the bike as some of the better looking ones do. i'm just getting into bikes so sorry if im asking a retarded question.

how do i get this bike:

to look more like this bike:

here's the sale ad for the bike i'm looking at:
http://www.stlsr.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55635

thanks in advance for your help.

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
Good luck. Maybe somebody's modded FZR fairings to fit the SECA II or something, but other than that, you may be out of luck.

Tell us what you find so future generations may benefit from your knowledge!

·
Registered
488 Posts
he's a newbie, no f2 for you.. :neener .. I'm not so sure you can unless you wanna spend money on custom fairings, but as a newbie i wouldnt reccomend it just in case..

·
Registered
498 Posts
The Seca II is air-cooled. It will not like being shod under fairings. Besides, there are no mounts for them and it was never intended to be a faired bike. Don't be concerned with aesthetics for a first bike. If you drop it, you'll be glad you didn't have fairings!

Get the Seca II, ride it for a year or two then get the plastic covered machine.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Meh2u said:
Why the hell would you do that? Go buy an F2 if you want an F2.
For the same reason you wanted to do this to your bike "[91 F2 (MXD Cage -1 +12)]".......why the hell did you want to do this...becuase you wanted to...now give the man some good info and stop being :gay

·
Registered
528 Posts
You don't want fairings since your new to bikes and plastic don't take too well to being dropped on a bike. I'm guessing you have no idea how much fairings cost. Just pulled these prices off of my local dealerships website for my bike as an example:
Right Upper Cowl - $445.56
Left Upper Cowl - $445.56
Front Center Cowl - $129.73
Right Lower Cowl - $602.45
Left Lower Cowl - $602.45
Left Lid Set $114.44
Right Lid Set $114.44
Grand Total of $2454.63 + you still have other rubber parts and bolts to add. You should focus more on taking MSF and buying good gear then worrying about what the bike will look like. Respect the bike or it will do some NASTY things to you. Good luck

·
Banned
730 Posts
See if you can find some Seca forums or groups because I thought there was a fairing kit available for them just like the SV's of today. And fuck what everyone else says about your choice of bike and what you do or don't want to do to it. Unless they're paying for everything, that is.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I think they made a "sugar scoop" lower fairing for it (kind of like the lower on a Ninja 500R but not as tall). But he's asking about full fairings and they reason you can't fit them is the bike will overheat. The Katana and SV can get away with full fairings (especially the Katana) is because they use oil to help cool the engine with the help of the small oil cooler/radiator. The Seca II is purely air-cooled. Seal that engine up under a fairing and it should be fine moving (provided the fairings have good air draw across them). In stop-and-go traffic however, the heat bubble that will build up under the fairing may well bring the air temperature around the engine up to near that of the engine itself and effectively not allow the engine to cool itself. Subsequently, it will overheat and shut down. Without the fairing even stopped, the ability of the open air to carry away the heat rather than trapping it against the engine (like a fairing would) can keep the engine cool and operating fine for a long time (just like any air-cooled V-twin cruiser).

For these reasons and due to the simple nature of the Seca II, Yamaha had no need to put fairing on it. It's a street bike, not a sportbike. And one of the prettier naked bikes of its day and a nice ride overall. If he wants to try and put fairings on it, fine. Nothing will fit but if he persists, just want him to be aware of the risks involved.

·
Banned
730 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Brett BUY the bike, take off all the fairings and make ur bike loook like a standard. Then ride that bitch till u have skillZZZZZZ. lol. For real, if ur supa new u may drop it, u may low slide at ur first right turn simular to me and then u'd be pissed months later for having cracked or broken you side fairings.

is that seca dual exhaust ???

·
Registered
994 Posts
Drop the F2, scraping the fairings all to hell, then take them off. Now the two bikes look more alike ;).
Seriously don't put a fairing on the Seca. Ride the bike; don't look at it. After a year trade it in on an YZF, or F4i or something similar.

·
Registered
558 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
all great info. i appreciate it a lot. seeing as how i'm brand new i'm going to ride the bike (undoubtdly drop it a few times accidentally) and then worry about aesthetics. no point putting on shit i'm just gonna break. thanks again.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Here are a few, just to see how they look. Really not sure what is still available for it. There is a pretty knowledgable SecaII Yahoo group, also. If you pick up that bike, check it out. The Seca seems to be a good bike to learn on. Moderate power, fairly light weight, and very comfortable. My advice would be to check out the third pic, and follow his lead. :neener

Attachments

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
I like the look of the second pic. That chin faring makes the bike look a little like an old VFR Interceptor - one of the best looking bikes ever.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks bad habit. those are all great additions. i will undoubtedly go for something similar when i'm sure i won't be dropping it. is there a way to lower the bike? i know a good suspension setup on a car helps the looks a lot and also makes it a lot more fun to drive.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts