Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always had a thing for Italian bikes (who doesn't) and hope to have one in my garage some day once my riding levels are deserved of one. Well I wish you guys could have been with me on my ride on Weds. I pulled up next to a guy in a gorgeous new Ducati 749. Well I say gorgeous until I got up close. The whole left side of the bike was beat to hell. Paint missing, clutch half broken, pegs messed up, etc. I pulled up next to him and flipped up my visor to chat him up but the light turned green and I guess he was trying to show off...got on it and shifted quickly into neutral instead of 2nd and it revved to the moon....found 2nd and got on it and looked really out of control....comes up to the next light and slams on the front brake and slides right over the painted line and almost drops it again. This time I got next to him and asked about the bike. "Yea man I just bought it last friday" So I ask how long he has been riding. "This is my first bike but I rode a friends a couple times". I asked about the body work and he explained that he "had a little trouble" with the clutch releasing too quickly and had dropped the poor thing on BOTH sides in the 6 days he owned it. This was IMHO the ultimate example of buying the bike you think you will look cool on and looking like a fool because you have no clue what you are doing. I really wish I could have taken pics of video of this guy. I will give him credit in the gear department though. Full Leathers (Ducati of course), Sidi boots, Suomy designer helmet, gloves. I kept my distance as we continued up the street for obvious reasons...my wife is better on her 250 and she is still in parking lots.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sounds like the Ducati 749 I went to look at not too long ago. I think it had under 2000 kms before the rider slid it underneath a car in front of him. New rider, wasn't paying attention, car braked in front of him and didn't know how to brake hard from lack of experience.

Let my friend who rode a gixxer6 take the Ducati 748 for a spin when I had it. I remember we were sitting at the lights and went to take off. Being so used to his gixxer6, he let it go and of course wasn't expecting the torque from a v-twin and it came up on him, he nearly shit his pants!

The dry clutch, v-twin and torque on a Ducati is very different from a regular inline 600. It can be very finicky to a new rider, I think it would be one of the hardest bikes to start on for someone who has never riden.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I feel sorry for the bike, oh well it's his money, at least he had gear on though.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SportyChick said:
I think it would be one of the hardest bikes to start on for someone who has never riden.
Man this guy was living proof of that theory. Brought tears to my eyes seeing that bike in that condition...

·
Super Moderator
18,633 Posts
I wish you had gotten pics...I've resorted to carrying around a disposable camera for just this reason...

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I can't say much, I accidently knocked my bike into neutral instead of second when I was hammering it onto the freeway the other day. Damn false neutrals, sometimes I forget to boot it harder into second. Revved to the moon, but didn't miss a beat really - I used to do the same thing on the dirtbike once in a while. I think I'm going tro switch to GP shifting as soon as I get money to burn (not any time soon).

·
Registered
681 Posts
wescoas1 said:
I can't say much, I accidently knocked my bike into neutral instead of second when I was hammering it onto the freeway the other day. Damn false neutrals, sometimes I forget to boot it harder into second. Revved to the moon, but didn't miss a beat really - I used to do the same thing on the dirtbike once in a while. I think I'm going tro switch to GP shifting as soon as I get money to burn (not any time soon).
Just adjust the shift lever down ONE spline....it will make all the difference.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
I will never own a "1 down 5 up" style bike again. If I do buy one that shifts that way, it will be changed in the first 20 miles. I love GP shifting, it's so much more comfortable, and I never miss a shift. My Duc was already GP style when I bought it, because the owner thinks the same way I do.

On topic, this is just a case of too much money, not enough brains. This kid is a moron, if I ever see someone like him on the street I will laugh directly in their face and make fun of them until the light turns green, even then, I'll follow them laughing so loud that they can still hear me! He should be ashamed of himself for raping that beautiful Italian bird, I'll kill that bastard (sorry, I've got a thing for Italian bikes, and hate seeing them abused like that)

·
Registered
110 Posts
firefighter81 said:
On topic, this is just a case of too much money, not enough brains. This kid is a moron, if I ever see someone like him on the street I will laugh directly in their face and make fun of them until the light turns green, even then, I'll follow them laughing so loud that they can still hear me! He should be ashamed of himself for raping that beautiful Italian bird, I'll kill that bastard (sorry, I've got a thing for Italian bikes, and hate seeing them abused like that)
Well you better laugh pretty damn loud to get over the noise of the dry clutch, the v-twin and his helmet! :lol

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
The new 749's clutch noise is MUCH quieter than that of the old 748's and my 996. I like the noise personally, it's unique, but I'm getting sick of people asking me if there is something wrong with the bike because they heard it making a "funny noise"

·
Registered
110 Posts
I used to get that all the time as well.
I love the sound of the dry clutch on the Ducati. I did a little home made mod on my clutch cover to open it up so it was even louder.
I've yet to hear a 749, not many people ride Ducati's around here.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Yeah, my bike has a stock clutch cover now, but I'm looking into getting a carbon vented cover soon.

·
Registered
109 Posts
wescoas1 said:

It depends on the bike, but my R6 cost me $25 and 10 mins of my time to convert to GP Shift. That is by far the best mod I ever did.

·
Resident Gun Nut
1,092 Posts
so call me a dumb ass, but what is GP shifting? isn't that 1 up 5 down? sorry, but i'm still learning.

·
Registered
26 Posts
with the dry clutch, you mean when you shift, not sure what noise you're talking about
ill be looking at a used one tomorrow
any other suggestions particular to ducs

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
usmktmkr said:
with the dry clutch, you mean when you shift, not sure what noise you're talking about
ill be looking at a used one tomorrow
any other suggestions particular to ducs
FYI, IMO if you don't know anything about ducs, you shouldn't buy one....

ask him when the last time his valves were adjusted and how much? and call your local duc dealer and ask him......to see if the seller is telling you straight.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts