Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own an 04 Kawi EX-500 Ninja....and I just noticed the other day, that the dealership gave me non-matching tires. Theyre both Bridgestone Excedras, but the front is a GS49 and the rear is a GS50. The tread patterns are different, but I'm not sure about the compound. Is this going to make the bike handle poorly, or react strangely? I've put over 2000 miles on it and leaned in on it now and again...but it doesnt feel as stable as I'd expect, so I don't do it often.

As a sidenote...these tires are HORRIFIC, both of them. About 2300 miles on them and the nubbies haven't even worn off yet. I swear, I think they're plastic not rubber. :lame

·
Registered
239 Posts
I think Avon makes tires that have a model # that is different for front & rears. This may be the same case.

Don't think there is anything to worry about. Just watch your inflation pressures & make sure your not over inflated. That can amplify the hard compound feeling (plastic vs rubber).

Peace

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man. Yeah, the bike sticker recommends something like 36 psi up front and 34 rear...somewhere around there. House of Power put like 45 psi in both tires...so I had to deflate them.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I can see why they felt like a rock. Should make a big difference now you got em down to the right pressures.

Peace

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, they feel a lot better...but still not grippy enough. Not quite confidence inspiring. I'm used to riding on expensive, sticky rubber in every car I've owned....and I know what happens when you ride on worn down tires, or crap rubber. I don't want the same on 2 wheels...because skidding in 4 wheels is no big deal. 2 wheels? That's another story.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts