Sport Bikes banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying this helmet. I've found it for $100 (goes for $400 retail), but the thing that concerns me is it dosen't appear to be snell approved. What do you think? How could a $400 helmet not be snell approved?

·
El A MC Rider
336 Posts
Jackal79 said:
I'm considering buying this helmet. I've found it for $100 (goes for $400 retail), but the thing that concerns me is it dosen't appear to be snell approved. What do you think? How could a $400 helmet not be snell approved?
Doesn't matter how much the helmet costs, it can still be expensive and not meet the stringent requirements required for SNELL approval. Department of Transportation (DOT) is enough to get by...just look at the half helmets some cruiser riders wear....some of those are DOT approved but don't offer much protection in a crash.

From the SNELL website: http://snell-helmet.motorhelmets.com/

SNELL APPROVED

As head injuries account for the majority of serious motorcycle injuries, you know head protection is critically important. Yet, as you try to select from among the many brands of motorcycle helmets available, you may find the claims confusing. It's easy enough to choose between colors and styles, but the real purpose of a helmet is to protect your head in an accident. The best helmet may not guarantee survival in all accident situations, but on the basis of ongoing research done by the Snell Memorial foundation since 1957, a Snell certified helmet is indisputably better in severe impact conditions than one not meeting this standard. In fact, Snell requirements are among the most stringent in the world - much more stringent than the legal D.O.T. standards.

Buy Snell Approved Helmets!

To receive Snell certification, helmets are tested in four performance areas; Energy Management, Environmental Resistance, Retention System, and Quality Control. In Other words, Snell tests the helmet's ability to shrug off all of the things likely to happen to it prior to and during an actual crash. Snell constantly selects examples - at random in the marketplace - of certified helmets to test for compliance with the Standard. On the other hand, helmets meeting only the minimum D.O.T. requirements can be self-certified by the manufacturer, with possibly no outside testing, which can lead to wide discrepancies in performances.

Think about it, if you're going to wear a helmet at all doesn't it make sense to wear one that meets the best standards available - SNELL.

It comes down to the question we as motorcycle riders have to ask ourselves--how much do you like your head? Maybe you want to spend a couple extra duckets and get a DOT & SNELL approved helmet.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I would contact Nolan and see if the helmet meets the European standard (ECE-2205). It should, as it's the law across the pond. Their standard is comparable to Snell. There's a review of the helmet on WebBikeWorld. They say it fits long oval heads.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts