Sport Bikes banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Swollen Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Kawasaki.com lists info for the 2008, but no 2009. Why was I not notified?

What can they possibly think will replace it? The 650r? Ew.

We had the death of the Thundercat, the Katanas have gone missing (regrettably even the 750), and the f4i is toast.

Anyone care?

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
Personally I would have liked to see them keep the ZZR600 for 2009 with upgrades like fuel injection and possibly some better ergonomics, and a fuel gage would have been nice too.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I'm with Jay, I would have preferred they kept it. I wish they would have dropped in the 636 motor in the ZZR chassis, tweaked the suspension a bit, added digital indicators and kept it in the lineup.

I suppose Kawi sees the 650r as a starter mid-class bike, and they have the upper end covered with the ZX6r. I'd be surprised if the EX500 hangs around much longer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I guess i should have said something sooner.. I went to the kawa dealer meeting in Sept., in Grapevine, TX, and found out then there was to be no ZZR for the future. I asked several of the Reps at the dealer meeting and they said the main reason for not continuing the zzr was because of an emmissions problem

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
I guess i should have said something sooner.. I went to the kawa dealer meeting in Sept., in Grapevine, TX, and found out then there was to be no ZZR for the future. I asked several of the Reps at the dealer meeting and they said the main reason for not continuing the zzr was because of an emissions problem
Rayzzr and I have known this since mid September when I confirmed it with the Kawasaki reps at the Kawasaki demo display when we were at Moto GP in Indianapolis. Emissions, that's kind of weak don't you think? I just emailed KHI, I will get to the bottom of why production will end after the 2008 year model of the ZZR600 "J" model.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Seeing that we are one of the more active groups on SBN, I doubt their reasons were because they were not selling them. After owning an E model ZX600, I gravitated towards the ZX600J, which is quite a different bike than the old E model I rode. It is perhaps the most comfortable 600 available in recent times, and it still has decent performance, although FI bikes have taken over the market.

The 636 bikes had quite a following - maybe Kawi will bring it back. It will be interesting to see what they replace it with, if anything.

For the record, I have ridden a 650r, and while it is no slouch it really didn't do anything for me. The power delivery was smooth and the ergos were comfortable, but there is not much power on top. It comes on fairly strong from the start, but pans out quickly.

·
I need a 710 cap.
777 Posts
Personally I would have liked to see them keep the ZZR600 for 2009 with upgrades like fuel injection and possibly some better ergonomics, and a fuel gage would have been nice too.
speaking of fuel guage i have a book at home fr the 06 model that says it has a fuel guage :eek:nfloor i need to take a picture of it and post it on here and then go back and ask the dealer where my fuel guage is at.

·
BOOYAM
545 Posts
From a marketing perspective, it doest really make sense to keep the ZZR around much longer. They have a 250, 500, 650 as entry level bikes, and then the zx-6r and zx-10 as their sportbikes.

If they were to upgrade the ZZR to have FI, 636 motor etc...it would be 90% a ZX6R, so there wouldnt be much of a point of having two competing bikes.

What they COULD (or SHOULD) do is maybe have some kind of budget version of the ZX6R.....cheaper suspension, lower compression engine and/or retuned to have more midrange power. less flashy paint colors....price it $1000-1500 less than the ZX6R, call it the ZX6-S or something. That would make more sense for them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
From a marketing perspective, it doest really make sense to keep the ZZR around much longer. They have a 250, 500, 650 as entry level bikes, and then the zx-6r and zx-10 as their sportbikes.

If they were to upgrade the ZZR to have FI, 636 motor etc...it would be 90% a ZX6R, so there wouldnt be much of a point of having two competing bikes.
True, except the ergo is a lot better on the ZZR; IMO. It would be nice to have a fuel gauge, but I'm already accustomed to the trip meter method so no big deal.

·
DIG OUT YOUR SOUL
926 Posts
Face it, the J series' time has come and gone. She stuck around alot longer than any other bike of it's era.

I think it is hilarious that people are clammoring for a fuel guage! Maybe get a Goldwing with a stereo, heater. gas guage and storage compartments!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Rayzzr and I have known this since mid September when I confirmed it with the Kawasaki reps at the Kawasaki demo display when we were at Moto GP in Indianapolis. Emissions, that's kind of weak don't you think? I just emailed KHI, I will get to the bottom of why production will end after the 2008 year model of the ZZR600 "J" model.
Emmissions=VERY WEAK.....I almost called him an outright liar but i was more trying enjoy my time looking at the new models rather then get into a pissing match with sum jap with big yap that probably never rode a ss bike.

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
Emissions=VERY WEAK.....I almost called him an outright liar but i was more trying enjoy my time looking at the new models rather then get into a pissing match with sum jap with big yap that probably never rode a ss bike.
I just received this email from KHI. You see it wasn't a emissions problem as you stated. It's due to stricter EPA regulations that must be in place by 2010.

Here's the email he sent me.

Thank you for contacting Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. regarding the
ZZR600. The bike, as you are aware, saw production end after the 2008
model year. The reason it will not be offered for the 2009 model year and
beyond is due to the increasingly stringent emissions standards that the
EPA has put into effect and that will be fully implemented by 2010. Other
models throughout our product line have also been affected similarly by
these new standards. Kawasaki will continue to work to offer the U.S.
motorcycle consumers a wide variety of motorcycle choices while meeting the
changing and stricter emissions standards in the future.

Regards,

Russ Brenan
Public Relations Supervisor
Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A.
9950 Jeronimo Road
Irvine, CA 92618-2084
949/770-0400 x 2726
949/460-5794 Fax
[email protected]

·
Swollen Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
ZZRrocket, any word on a 100-hp replacement for the ZZR coming down the pike?

The inline twins (650r, ER-6n) fail to do it for me, particularly after riding a REX for years now. Must have horsepower!

Looks like they whacked the Z1000 as well.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Shame that the ZZR will be gone, but it had a good, long run. It looks like the days of the supersport in the guise of a sport tourer are at an end. It seems like everything is becoming more and more specialized (which isn't bad I guess).

By the way, why did Kawasaki decide to bring back that particular model of ZX6 and not do the same for later years? Was it because the invested so much in developing it that they wanted to get a return on it? Or just that it was such a good bike that it had to keep going on? Just curious.

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
ZZRrocket, any word on a 100-hp replacement for the ZZR coming down the pike?

The inline twins (650r, ER-6n) fail to do it for me, particularly after riding a REX for years now. Must have horsepower!

Looks like they whacked the Z1000 as well.

I asked that question and here's the answer I got. I guess we will all just have to wait and see.

You are very welcome for the response, I am glad we were able to provide
you with some information. Because of company policy, I cannot elaborate
or provide any information on future production models of any kind. I am
sorry I am unable to pass along any additional information at this time.

Sincerely,

Russ Brenan
Public Relations Supervisor
Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A.
9950 Jeronimo Road
Irvine, CA 92618-2084
949/770-0400 x 2726
949/460-5794 Fax
[email protected]

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
They need a mini-Concours in their lineup to satisfy the ST crowd. I would in no circumstances recommend touring on a 650r or Versys :rolleyes

1 - 16 of 16 Posts