Sport Bikes banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't really understand why people sell no title vehicles. It lowers the value of what you are selling considerably.

Could you not just visit the DMV, get a certified copy of the title, and sell it for actual value?

My understanding is that this is possible, but I could (and probably am) wrong.

·
Registered
342 Posts
In Illinois it cost eighty bucks I think to get a new title and about six weeks. However if you own the vehicle outright you can go in sign the proper paperwork and transfer everything over without the physical title but it will still cost eighty bucks. I have had to do it before on both the purchasing end as well as selling.

·
I can pass this guy...
8,167 Posts
The current owner may not be the name on the title too. I have a '93 DR350 with no title. It would not be worth the hassle and cost to get a title for it. The title is two owners ago.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
I don't really understand why people sell no title vehicles. It lowers the value of what you are selling considerably.

Could you not just visit the DMV, get a certified copy of the title, and sell it for actual value?

That's one of the reasons not to buy an untitled bike. If the putative owner is so disorganized and haphazard that s/he hasn't taken the trouble to clean up the title, there's likely to be something significantly wrong with either the title or the seller.

KeS

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I talked to the DMV here in FL about it. They made it sound impossible. As in "not possible" as opposed to "really hard and time-consuming."

·
Registered
93 Posts
Most of the time when someone sells a bike without a title around here it is because the bike has a lien on it from the lender. They just don't tell the buyer until they go and register it when they find out they will have to pay a few more grand to "own" their bike.

I would never buy a bike from someone if they didn't have a title with it. Too many variables on what you would need to do to get the title in your name.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,896 Posts
No title = stolen bike or a lien on the title.

If someone truly owns a bike, but is so freaking lazy that he rather lose a couple thousand dollars instead of going to the DMV to obtain a duplicate...

·
Registered
228 Posts
No title could also mean it was an auctioned bike, or an abandoned bike, or the owner died and a relative sold it not knowing where the title is. There are plenty of situations where a bike could legitimately be sold without a title.

You can apply for a bonded title in most states. That's what I did with the bike I have currently.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts

In Texas, you can go into one of the particular Title offices, pay $5, and they will print a replacement right there. You just have to have proof that you are who you say you are, and your name is on record as the title holder. If you are in the Dallas area, that office is in Carrollton.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all for the replies. I didn't think about the name not on title variable. I went to see a bike and previous owner never handed over title. The bike had a temporary 30 day registration and it went out 2 weeks ago. The seller seemed way too anxious to sell after only having had the bike for a month.

I agree B3av3r, too many variables.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts