Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a motorcycle with no title. Before the flaming it was only $1,000 and runs so if I can't title it I will make it into a stunt bike.

I'm located in Florida and I've heard of getting a Bond which I guess means you pay a "quoted" price depending on the motorcycle and the company sends a certified letter telling the title holder that you plan to title it in your name and if he doesn't get back to you in 30 something days its yours. Then you get the down payment on the bond back and you can go about titling it.

Has anyone ever heard of this and know if it works in Florida?

Or if there are any other ways of getting it on the road legally?

Thanks,

David

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
It is different in every state, but generally it is a pain in the ass and takes a considerable amount of time. But it can be done, and it sounds like you have the right general idea. Go to the florida dmv and get all the info you need.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yah bike is a 2000 GSXR 600 with like 6700mi it runs but could use a lil TLC. I just hope I'll be able to get it titled or I guess it'll be a fun stunter lol.

·
Registered
556 Posts
It is a lot more convenient to have the title holder apply for a duplicate title and then sign it over to you, if possible.

Source: Florida - Replacing a Lost Title - How To Get a Duplicate FL Title - DMV.ORG
Your title is an important document, but it can be easy to misplace. Fortunately, it's fairly simple to replace it.

Lost, stolen, or damaged titles may be replaced by completing the duplicate title form. Take the form to your county tax collector's office. If there was a lien on the vehicle, you'll need to provide proof that the lien has been paid.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Don't quote me on this, I'm not a lawyer and I don't work for the DMV. Last night i slept in my house, not a holiday inn express.

My experience in this matter comes from a friend who was trying to register a boat without a title. duplicate title was out because original owner could not be found and boat had changed hands like 8 times. He inquired into a title company and they old him this is how they would get him his title-

In certain states you can title vehicles based on a bill of sale only (not sure if this applies to motorcycles). They find out which state this will be easiest in based on the type of vehicle, blah, blah, blah. You write the company a bill of sale in Florida for said item who in turns titles it in the other state that allows titles with BOS only. The title company in turn sells you back your vehicle in Florida with a clean, out of state title. You then register at the DMV like any other vehicle. They told him the process would take about 6 weeks.

Bad news is this whole procedure costs a ton of money and you are responsible for sales tax with every purchase/sale. When my buddy looked into it its was close to $1300 to do this with the boat he wanted to buy.

He ended up not buying the boat.

Wish I could give you more specific info but thats all I know. I'm not sure how bonded titles work in Florida at all (I always was under the impression they where some kind of temporary title).

Again don't quote me on any of this.

BTW what bike did you get???

Edit: had to be a GSXR :(:twofinger

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bike is a 2000 GSXR 600.

I did find a company who does what you are talking about and I wouldn't mind doing that if it was guaranteed that I could get it titled.

The normal way: seller + buyer at DMV won't work unfortunetly. The person I bought from was never able to get the title from the person he bought it from so hence no title. I did get a bill of sale from the person I bought it from if that helps though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also something that I thought was weird when I was checking the VIN. It shows that everything checks out as far as clean title, odometer verif., etc., but when you look at the full history all it shows is one event in 2000 when it was delivered to the dealer.

Doesn't that seem strange. No theft history, salvage history or any other "red flags" but it only has that one history event. No registration at dealer or titling or nothing.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I've got some experience with no title and titles where the owner is long gone.

1. If there is no title then you will need to do a bonded title. They usually charge something like 10% of the book value for the bond, with no allowance for condition. So if it's got a $4k value shiny or busted, then you have to pay $400 for the bond. They will send out a letter and if it comes back unopened or with the titled owner saying he is no longer owner you can get your title.

2. If there is a title but the owner is long gone, you can bond or just try to track the guy down. I've had better luck tracking old owners down. One old bike I bought was last titled almost 30 years prior to me getting it. The address was no longer a house, but a high rise office building. It cost me $150 and a month where the bonded route could have taken longer and definitely would have cost me more. The owner met me at a bank where he signed his decades old title and off i went.

So... those are the two paths I know of.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you know if the bonded title route works in Florida and do you know of any companies that you can recommend?
-David

·
Registered
468 Posts
For bonded title check with small independent insurance companies in your area. They'll insure anything, and this is effectively what a title bond is. They (for the fee you pay them) will cover the costs if the original owner shows up. They will be familiar with the process and give you the paperwork you need to take to the DMV. I did it here in Mississippi and it cost me $50.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I did all the leg work myself.

I looked through the Florida DMV forms but couldn't find anything specific to a bonded title.

I would take the VIN to the DMV and have them check it out. They can tell you what to do from there. They will check if it was stolen, you may need them to inspect it to make sure the numbers are right. Then they could at least get a look at the previous titles and identify who needs to be contacted.

They will help you out, you just need to go there and talk to them.

·
Lowlife
7,019 Posts
It cost me $70 to get a bonded title...it was a set price per 1k of bike's worth.
Just call your local dmv/licensing dept. because not all states will have the same policies. I almost think it was too easy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I went to the DMV and they said that it is currently titled but not reported stolen thank god lol. I guess I'll try to track the title holder down through the person I bought it from and I have a friend who works for the DMV who might be able to get me their info. If any of you can get me a hookup to find the title holder though let me know.

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yah but I don't even know the guys name lol. I guess I'm gonna have to bribe some friends lol. I'll keep you all updated.
-David

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A friend hooked me up with the owner's info so I'll give him a call and see about getting the title transfered.
-David

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was able to track the guy down and will be meeting with him Friday. Here's what happened when I called him.

I got who I assumed what his mom and she said that he didn't live here anymore so she took a message and that was that.

Maybe 20min later I get a call from the same area code and it is the guy and we start talking and he starts asking questions about the bike and then he goes I haven't seen that bike...(I'm like here it is, since it was stolen) then he goes since I sold it 8 years ago!! So that I know of it has changed "owners" about 3 times and since it was never technically titled I guess the 6500mi is legit since it was never really on the street.

I never expected that ending. I will be meeting with him Friday and will get the title taken care of. Thanks for the support.
-David

·
Registered
178 Posts
you bought a stolen bike. your best bet is clean it of your fingerprints and ditch it across the street from the police station. Your next best bet is to try and get a title and recieve a police record for recieving stolen property.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've checked it isn't stolen. I'm selling the bike anyways the Vette just took a crap and I'll prob. need the extra money to get it back on the street. It wasn't meant to be.
-David

1 - 20 of 25 Posts