Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I simply removed everything because i had my frame painted and now that i have it all back together the POS doesnt have spark across any of the plugs. I made sure i ground down the paint for proper grounding. YES i ground the shit out of the paint, so i know thats not an issue. Everything else works 100% perfect, lights, gauges, signals, ETC. Just no spark. I read somewhere about bikes having that bank angle sensor, but do 99-00 f4's even have that>? The starter turns it over with no problem and i checked all the fuses at least 3 times, all are fine. Does this bike have a kickstand switch? Cant say i ever bothered to check for one.

Bike ran 100% perfect prior to me pulling it apart and reassembling it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where is the bank sensor on the 99-00 F4?

I found the problem, the harness for the spark plugs wasnt plugged in 100%. Shit fired right up. NOW i have a new problem... I drive the bike for maybe 1 mile and when i got home it was idling and then it died.... Then heres where it went downhill.
Battery is kinda low and i was going to give it a jump. After drinking a wee bit because my sister was having a party i did some retarded ass shit. Which is somewhat understandable due to the cicumstances and me not being 100% carefull and double checking stupid easy things... Well i have the battery in there reversed. The terminals are correct to the battery for the record. But the plastic cover from the undertail that protects the battery is now reversed when you look at the + - in correspondance to the battery's terminals. Basically i was drinkin a bit, saw the cover's + & - and hooked up the jump cables that way. Once i touched the ground to the positive, it sparked a wee bit and popped the fuse. I pulled it off ASAP. it had maybe 1 second of contact if that. I replaced the fuse and still no sparkage to plugs when trying to start it. Could i have fried some relay or the computer whe i hooked up the jumper cables incorrectly for that split second? Since the fuse fried right away, shouldnt that have protected the rest of the circuits? Yah, i cant beleive i did what i did too feel like a real fuckin moron... AND NEEDLESS TO SAY.... I dont have any spark again to the plugs.

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
I dont know if you couldve burned out the ECU or anything else.. since all current needs to flow through the fuse, and that fuse wouldve blown as soon as you made the connection.. its possible the battery is now screwed up, but I've never come across this before.. I have never seen anything get screwed up before a fuse could pop (assuming it is the correct fuse), but anything is possible.. I suggest taking it to a stealership, and having them test the ECU and battery, before deciding what to do next.
sucks about the goof up man, but we've all done stupid shit like that before.

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
Sure it could, it only takes milliseconds to burn out IC's such. Less time than it takes to blow a fuse. Battery sounds good since he says it's not getting spark, I'm assuming the engine is still cranking over but no fire. My first place to look would be the ECU, its probably the most vulnerable component to reverse voltage.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Ls1 Fd3s said:
Does this bike have a kickstand switch? Cant say i ever bothered to check for one.
The 00 does but itll still start in neutral

EDIT: the other thing, you can blow an IC with 1microamp of too much current for 1 millisec, I concure with check the ECU

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
One good thing,, i guess... It had a 15amp fuse in the main fuse location instead of the 30amp... It will fry quicker than a 30A, but obviously damage was done somewhere

Im looking into buying a new ECU for farily cheap because i wanna ride! Also, i thought. Could it have fried the ignition switch maybe? Just a thought. The battery is fine, it cranks the bike over no problem.. Just no spark to any of the cylinders... Everything else functions perfectly though. Just no sparkage and i think i dont hear the fuel pump cycle anymore too... Im leaning towards ECU. What manauls do they sell that can show me how to diagnose the ECU and misc? Where can i buy the manual? thanks for the help so far!

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
Probably didn't hurt the ignition switch. Do any of the dash lights come on or do the blinkers work?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
everything else works 100% fine. Shows my odometer, blinkers work, brake lights work, hi/low beam works, all the dash lights work properly too.
Just no spark.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts