Sport Bikes banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, I need some help again. I "think" I need to check the valves for adjustment. I am pretty good at mechanics, but never torn down a bike yet. My Kat has 17,000 miles on it and has developed a tick/knock on one side of the block. Has been getting worse over the last 2,000 miles. Other than a rougher take off, after 4,500 rpm it runs like new. I have the plastics off tonight and would like to find a Haynes repair manual for it. Everything I find under any brand skips the 97 model. Ain't that some stih. If anyone can locate one on the net or anywhere else, the help would be greatly appreciated. Untill then I have to ride 4 wheels to work everyday, and that sucks!

Thanks

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
That's odd that you can't find a cheap manual, I would think they'd all be the same because I was under the impression that the Kat hasn't been updated much over the years. There is a factory manual listed for the '97 here:

http://www.repairmanual.com/motorcycles/1997/62/5/6065

Says through '97. You could get that one to be safe, but personally I'd take a chance on the -'96 Hayes and save a few bucks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, thanks for both the links you two have provided. Much help. Since the manual you listed is for 1988-1997 models, the haynes manual for 1988-1996 should cover me. Thanks again. Nice to be part of SBN cause of help like this.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,896 Posts
97 Kat is the same as the 1988, there were very little differences, but even a 1998+ manual will give you most of the specs for the engine and frame correclty, as for the most part, they are the same bike.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good deal, I am picking one up this evening, and hopefully can tear into it Saturday. Greatly appreciate the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts