Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys?? I went out to ride today and my bike would not start. I thought ok this is ok b/c i have an alarm on my bike and i havent rode in about a week so i figured that it just drained my battery. So i jumped it off and went on my way. I rode for over an hour and came back. As soon as i turned it off i tried to start it back and it would not even register, my lights would not even come on???? :eek: I figured riding this much would have charged my battery back up???

What do you guys think? Any advice? New battery? Recharge battery?? Thanks for the help.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
It's "sort of" like an alternator for a bike, it's simpler though. I'm not sure where they are located on the R6's, but on my old CBR F3 it was located on the right side underneath the lower fairing. I'll try to hunt down a diagram for you. Also, it's not a stupid question, the same thing happened to my F3, they are notorious for frying R/R's, so I had to ask, I didn't know what the hell it was either! :lol

·
IM A BAD ASS WITH A STICK
374 Posts
same thing happend to my R6 its in the shop right now the stator/alternator whatever the hell its called was bad...have the battery tested to see if thats the problem...if not check the stator/alternator an after market one for me is gonna cost like 140 the factory one was a bit higher but they said the other one is just as good if not better

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
I did a google search and saw a site that sold them for the R6 for like $85. Not sure about the reliability of the site though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys............. i am going to try and get it looked at this weekend.......... sucks having to work 9-5 everyday. HAHA

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How hard is it to install the rectifier?? I am almost positive that this is the problem, b/c i jumped my bike off with jumper cables, and i have now found out that this is not a good idea, b/c it probably fried my rectifier. I know i am looking at about $100-$150 just to buy the part, but i am not wanting to have to pay to get it installed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
r/r

Its easy to replace its just a plug type device, find it unplug the bad plug in the new and your set. I had to do two when I had a VFR, only reason was I got the first off ebay and it turned out that it was redisigned from the factory so the ebay one burned out being the original stock then I got one from honda and it was all good. I found my r/r in a parking lot after it fried on the freeway at the time I had no idea what it was I found it by tracing an electrical burn smell. Have your battery checked first though, seriously no use spending more money then you need to when you can get the battery checked for free.

I forgot to add check behind the fairings on the rear subframe it probably will be located around there somewhere.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well.... i finally got my battery checked and they told me that it was dead. So now i know that i have to get a new battery, but is there anyway to still check the rectifier, b/c i dont want to kill the new battery also.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
It's probably not your battery. When the regulator goes, there's no charge going to your battery. Also, the stator is no longer running your bike. This means your bike is running completely off the battery. Not suprising that the battery is dead. It may only need a charge.

Pull off your regulator. It should be on the front of the battery box, under the tank, right behind the rear suspension resevoir. Pull the plug connector off and take a look to see if it's fried. Most commonly, the regulator on R6's go, and fry the plug with it. What you'll need to do is replace that regulator, and if the plug is friend, cut it off and rewire it with spade connectors that you can get at Radio Shack/Home Depot/Hardware Store.

Another thing you should try is measuring the voltage coming off the regulator. Charge your current battery. Now, with the bike off, using a multimeter/dc voltage meter, you should see roughly 12.5 - 12.7 volts off a freshly charged battery. If it's down around 11, your battery was probably cycled to deep and killed off with the regulator. Now, start the bike and hold it around 5k. Measuring the voltage again you should see it jump to around 13.8 - 14.0 volts...give or take. If it doesn't do that, you've eliminated the battery...at least, you know you have deeper problems than that. If it gets to that voltage over 5k, then you know your charging system is fine.

I would then try to get a friend to temporarily "lend" you their regulator to check. I ended up replacing my regulator and rewiring that burnt up plug only to find out that didn't fix the problem. The only next possibility was my stator. I replaced that and with the new regulator the bike was finally charging again. When I pulled the regulator, the plug was burned pretty good. When I pulled the stator out, I had 5 REALLY fried coils. I'm figuring the regulator went and took the stator with it. Either way, you don't know till you dig into it.

Doing these repairs are REALLY easy. I didn't really need that many tools. It took about 30 mins to do the regulator and about 30 mins to rewire it and about 1 hour to replace the stator.

If you have more questions, let me know.

Tools Needed:
Regulator:
-10mm Socket Wrench for top bolt on Regulator
-10mm Open Ended Wrench for bottom bolt (very hard to get to)
For Rewiring of connector
-Spade Connectors
-Wire Cutter
-Wire Stripper
-Crimping tool
Stator:
-5mm Hex (allen) Bit/Wrench - I use the ratcheting Screwdriver with the Little Bits for this.
-Phillips Screwdriver
-Stator Cover Gasket
-Scraping tool to remove old gasket
-Blue or Grey Sensor Safe Silcone Sealant/Adheasive

How To for replacing Stator.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks alot man, and i did charge my battery and it is completely dead. It will not even hold a charge so i am going to have to replace it, but i am going to check the regulator tomorrow and hopefully i will be able to find the problem........... but thanks again for all the info.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
No problem, happy to help. Make sure you check the post I stickied above in here about R6 batteries. I didn't see what year your R6 is, but if it's a 99-02 the factory replacement batteries are damned expensive (over $150). However, there is a aftermarket replacement available that has a better core and is $45. I got mine at batteries plus. All the info is in that thread.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well guys........ all i needed was a new battery ......... i had my complete electrical system checked and all that was wrong was my dead battery...... thank goodness. The guy at the shop said that my alarm system was a huge drag on my battery and that was what happened. So i think i am just going to disable the alarm system for now, but again thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
That's cool, you got by pretty easy. I'm glad you didn't have to go through what I just did. Happy riding!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts