Sport Bikes banner

no oil in motor!!

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  jim schmidt 
#1 ·
Well im very upset, :( strangest thing happened this morning i dont know if it was because i started using a diff. kind of oil but while i was warming it up to ride i noticed this burning smell coming from handle bar area and couldnt trace it, smell like oil so 1st thing i did was check the dip stick after i shut it off for a couple minutes though. and the first two atempts i got no reading!! on the third i got a little on the very tip. :a2 im scared i damaged the engine and will be takin it to the dealer soon as i can cuz (not open on mon.) so tomm. will call to set up an appt. i was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Ive got 4527 miles on it and changed the oil and filter at 4k but switched to Motul 5100 from the Yamalube i dont think its normal, it couldnt have burned it off in 500 miles?! also does it do any damage to engine/clutch to use auto oil10w30 just to get it to Yam. tomm? would appreciate some feedback since this is my first bike and im doing everything by the book with it, and since i cant call them till tommorow.

#2 ·
Sounds like a leak. Good thing you're under the year factory warranty. I bought the extended warranty just incase something like that happens to me.

#3 · (Edited)
yeah also i chked all around where i parked the bike in my garage and its dry, save for some water on the floor from riding in the rain., Im stumped? i usually check the oil every month, but i think it strange for it to be gone if 500miles

#5 ·
Yes it does sound like a leak, and the timing is about right for the oil change, if you were getting a burning oil smell you should look down around the engine , filter, and drain plug, and try to see where it is coming from. If you actually got a dipstick reading, albeit a short one, I'm betting you should be okay.

As for oil, normal oil is fine. Just dont use the thinner "Energy conserving" stuff that screws with you clutch. There is really no sense in paying for "motorcycle oil".

#6 ·
Don't get worked up yet. You may have underfilled it on the change. Fill it to the proper level and keep an eye on it. You'd have a pretty obvious leak to lose more than a quart in 500 miles so you'd probably see it. Check the oil filter and drain plug tightness anyway.

It won't matter that you changed oil brands and it won't matter that you add some car oil.

#7 ·
thanks guys for the replies, just upsettin to me, and bought three quarts of Motul to fill it to manu specs and to see it just burn away, no leaks anywhere again, drain, filter, pan, valve cover, all seals are dry and no signs of previous leakage.

#8 ·
When you changed the oil and filter, did you check the oil before or after you had the engine started.
I mean did you check it after the filter got filled up ?

regards

Thomas

#9 ·
jesfz6r said:
Well im very upset, :( strangest thing happened this morning i dont know if it was because i started using a diff. kind of oil but while i was warming it up to ride i noticed this burning smell coming from handle bar area and couldnt trace it, smell like oil so 1st thing i did was check the dip stick after i shut it off for a couple minutes though. and the first two atempts i got no reading!! on the third i got a little on the very tip. :a2 im scared i damaged the engine and will be takin it to the dealer soon as i can cuz (not open on mon.) so tomm. will call to set up an appt. i was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Ive got 4527 miles on it and changed the oil and filter at 4k but switched to Motul 5100 from the Yamalube i dont think its normal, it couldnt have burned it off in 500 miles?! also does it do any damage to engine/clutch to use auto oil10w30 just to get it to Yam. tomm? would appreciate some feedback since this is my first bike and im doing everything by the book with it, and since i cant call them till tommorow.
When you checked the oil, was the bike on the side stand or center stand?

Skippy

#10 ·
I too noticed a burning smell especially on hot days. I think it's just the exhaust pipes tho so I don't worry about it too much.

#11 ·
I have been told in the past to make sure the oil filter is filled before putting it on the bike as there was the possibility that if it was not filled it could somehow have a giant air bubble and not let the oil flow correctly. To me it alwasys sounded like a wives tale, but who knows?

#13 ·
Cavi said:
I have been told in the past to make sure the oil filter is filled before putting it on the bike as there was the possibility that if it was not filled it could somehow have a giant air bubble and not let the oil flow correctly. To me it alwasys sounded like a wives tale, but who knows?
I don't know about an air bubble necessarily, but if you start an engine after an oil change with no oil in the filter it'll be running momentarily with no oil pressure, i.e. no lubrication. It won't kill your motor, but it's certainly not a good thing. And since it's easily preventable, why not?
Not to mention, as someone else pointed out, it will give you a false reading on the dipstick.

+2cents

#14 ·
update on this issue guys, i got back from the dealership, eager to find out what was going on. Strange though that i asked and the counter person just said that it was a defective filter, and they had it replaced along with fresh motul oil like id been using before (free oil change), ive got no noticeable engine damage and i found it kinda weird so i asked more questions and the guy just said he didnt know, and the tech had left for the day. I will be keeping an eye on my level more frequently now, and i still have my problem documented for warr. purposes, cuz if this happens again i'm definitly having a talk with Yami bout a better resolution than a free oil change thats for sure.

#15 ·
There's a 300 ml difference between an oil change plus new filter (2.8l) and oil change and no new filter (2.5l) FWIW I'd always change the filter with the oil. That 300 mls difference would be enough not to show anything on the dipstick if you'd refilled as per the oil change only specs.

Sorry if I'm stating the bleeding obvious, but it wasn't obvious from your post that you were aware of the differences in amount of oil required.

cheers ....kimbo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.