1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No MotoGP For Barber
Posted By Paul Carruthers
AMA Only 7/15/2004

The following release is from Barber Motorspors Park...

Zoom Motorsports, the exclusive event promoter for the Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham, Alabama, announced today that Birmingham will not be the site of the United States Grand Prix in 2005. Gene Hallman, President and CEO of Zoom, notified Moto GP rights holder Dorna this week that the Barber Motorsports Park should no longer be considered for a 2005 date. “Dorna has been very patient with us. We have worked together for months trying to finalize a 2005 Moto GP for the Barber Motorsports Park,” said Hallman. “We will continue to work on a possible future Moto GP for the Barber Motorsports Park.”

Many considered the Barber Motorsports Park the premier site to host a Grand Prix in the United States. Moto GP attracts millions of spectators to its events annually and reaches hundreds of millions of viewers in more than 200 countries through television broadcasts.>{? Zoom Motorsports researched other Moto GP events and found that most promoters received public sector funding. Due to the sanctioning fee and race expenses, Zoom Motorsports felt strongly that it needed a certain level of guaranteed public sector funding prior to assuming the financial risk of hosting a Moto GP. “While we had some success in our public sector fund raising efforts, we fell short of our overall goals,” said Hallman. “Public sector funding is projected to represent less than one-third of the overall race revenues. We were requesting the funds come from the economic development and tourism budgets,” added Hallman.

In the interim, Zoom Motorsports will continue to host events that have been held at the Barber Motorsports Park and have proven successful such as the American Motorcycle Association Chevrolet Superbike Championship and the Grand American Rolex Sports Car Series for 2005. Zoom is actively pursuing other events for the Barber Motorsports Park. The Convention and Visitors Bureau of Birmingham expects the 2004 economic impact of the Barber Motorsports Park to exceed $100 million.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
Dammm Dammm Dammm........... :(

·
Registered
522 Posts
Sweet, hopefully it'll be Laguna :D

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
DARN! and Barber is close to me... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad:

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
nooooooooooo :cry noooooooooo

·
Registered
300 Posts
I live in Birmingham and have not heard about yet. If I heard anymore info I will let everybody know. I work with some guys that ride with and they keep up with all that stuff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Guys i was at the track day at Barber June 19th, and i got to talking with one of there engineers at Barber, and he told me that Dorna wanted 5million up front for the motogp race. as well as the television rights. That means the ticket prices to see the race would have costed around 100$ to !50$ . I dont know about you guys but i would have paid 200$ to see the race. anyway just thought i would tell you what i know.

Beck

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
I'm leaving early tommorow morning with some other guys to go to MotoGP in Germany. It's gonna be awesome! I'll post a couple pics I got from Mugello this year.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Just two random pics from Mugello this year

First one, the crap we had to deal with the whole day on Sunday, Saturday wasn't near as crowded, it was standing room only all day Sunday.

This next pic is from the last lap if I remember correctly, after it had started and stopped raining.

If anyone wants to see more I've got about 500 pics and some videos, fairly close shots of most of the riders, and some good "atmosphere" pics.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
I love Barber! It's a shame for us East-Coast riders that MotoGP won't be making an appearance there.
As long as the show comes to the U.S. we should all be happy!
It's been a long, long time since we've had this many U.S. riders competing in the Big Show!
What a season so far!

BTW, would love to see some pics of Kurtis Roberts on or around Daddy's Proton.
Don't get to see that too often, when he's not in the gravel or on fire! :devil

·
Registered
260 Posts
hahaha +1, maybe...texas motor speedway? ;)

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm glad it's not going there.Superbikes only use 2-3 gears and a motogp bike would be stupid there.The place is to tight for the motogp bikes.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Beck said:
Guys i was at the track day at Barber June 19th, and i got to talking with one of there engineers at Barber, and he told me that Dorna wanted 5million up front for the motogp race. as well as the television rights. That means the ticket prices to see the race would have costed around 100$ to !50$ . I dont know about you guys but i would have paid 200$ to see the race. anyway just thought i would tell you what i know.

Beck
Too bad more people here don't feel the same way. MotoGP does not have nearly the following in the US that is has in Europe. Folks here wouldn't know a decent racing event if it came up and bit them on the ass. If it is not a giant continuous left hand turn, we ain't inter'sted y'all.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
friend of mine made another point, BArber was pretty crowded when the AMA's were there, but it doubt it was 50,000 peeps. i'd imagine moto GP would bring in 2-3x that, i don't think barber could handle that many folks.......laguna it is!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Beck said:

Beck
That sounds about right... The city of Birmingham could have helped with this expense because of all the revenue generated by having this event come to town, but Birmingham is in a feud with Barber about another property that he owns in downtown Birmingham so they won't do anything to promote events at Barber. Its all the city's fault if you ask me... bunch of lousy city officials. :mad:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts