Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just pulled up the schedule for GP to plan our summer vacations and see that Laguna Seca is no longer on the circuit?? What the hell?:fail

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
This was announced months ago. Pretty sure it has nothing to do with any local pressures though. MotoGP is expanding into south america and added 2 tracks there for next year. They needed to drop one of the 3 US dates from the calendar and Laguna Seca is the only one that wasn't already under contract. It's not some big conspiracy, it's just how business worked out.

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
1,491 Posts
Old news, still shitty though.

I heard the area around Laguna Seca (Monterey etc) was inflating prices to the point that the venue was dropped, who knows.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Stnkbug- you are mostly right, however, even when I lived there 00-01 there were people trying to limit the number of events Laguna could host, because of the noise. Which I never understood, cuz the track is about 7 miles from the nearest road. Probably just a bunch of crybabies bitching about crowds of 'those people' (us motorcyclists) showing up there.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Stnkbug- you are mostly right, however, even when I lived there 00-01 there were people trying to limit the number of events Laguna could host, because of the noise. Which I never understood, cuz the track is about 7 miles from the nearest road. Probably just a bunch of crybabies bitching about crowds of 'those people' (us motorcyclists) showing up there.
You say you lived there, but I don't see how you could have, and posted what you have. The track is not 7 miles from the nearest road. It's less than a mile from Highway 68.

it also has homes developed around it.

Try Google earth, or maps.google.com to get a feel for it's location.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Mazd...icket+Office,+Monterey,+California+93940&z=15

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
You say you lived there, but I don't see how you could have, and posted what you have. The track is not 7 miles from the nearest road. It's less than a mile from Highway 68.

it also has homes developed around it.

Try Google earth, or maps.google.com to get a feel for it's location.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Mazd...icket+Office,+Monterey,+California+93940&z=15
All I remember going there is driving forever on windy two lane to get to the entrance of the actual track. In 05, I went to the moto gp race, we parked on the side of the highway and hitchiked in because of the traffic.

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
Yep, the locals have complained for years, but nothing changed between last year and this year. There have been no new lawsuits that I know of, and no new restrictions on noise or anything else. This was a business decision based on the economics of expanding a racing series onto another continent. With a brand new track in Texas, and a contract on Indy for the next couple years Dorna has the US reasonably well covered, but until this year they had nothing at all in south america. They had to give up something in order to have room in the schedule and the budget to add those races, and Laguna was the simplest choice.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
It changes the whole atmosphere of the area. I don't blame them. There's plenty of places an hour from there they could build a new track dirt cheap.

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
So do I, and so do most of the riders. Unfortunately Dorna signed a multi year contract though. :(
I believe DORNA extended with Indy after it became apparent that Laguna was in trouble. See, there is some kind of local government involvement with the track that limits their amount of sponsor involvements which, in turn limits their income for an event like GP. They can no longer afford the sanctioning fee.

Attendance has fallen off also, hurting the bottom line. Some of the drop in attendance is due to how badly people feel they are getting raped by area hotels and restaurants.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Times change. That area has been trying to be fancy and elitist for years. A track in the middle of all that, and worse, the people and fans it attracts, is a big problem for some.

If it were an airport, it would get pushed out also. In Orange County, they passed strict laws for residents...dont remember the details though.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Sucks that the US is losing 1 of the 3 GP races. Oh well at least we still have Indy and Cota

·
Registered
20 Posts
Laguna will hold WSBK instead , which is a fantastic series.
Laguna is also a county park, not a private enterprise. It is more restrictive of what event holders can and cant do which can effect their profits.
That said, I believe Indy threw 10 M at Dorna to keep them on the calendar, Laguna can not do that being they are a public county park.
It sucks but WSBK will be awesome there!
DT

·
CIAO SuperSic....
767 Posts
Laguna just doesn't have the funding that Indy/Texas has. Period. They get funded by the state while Laguna is considered a "park". Last I read somewhere Laguna is trying to do one there every other year which I hope works out. Indy is just such a god aweful track for bikes.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
They build houses around the race track, Then the people who knowingly bought the houses next to the race track complain about the noise
We lost a gun club recently. Started 55 years ago.

People started building houses and restaurants on neighboring properties and complaining about the nasty guns...came to a head when a handgun round left the facilities back in 2010, and bounced off a pregnant woman at a restaurant causing a bruise.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts