Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
No clutch tension after clutch line install! HELP!

Just got done replacing the clutch line on the '08 GSXR1000 with a stainless steel one and now the clutch is not working. We can put it in gear, but letting the clutch out doesn't do anything.

Is there anything my boyfriend missed with the install? I don't really know anything about working on bikes... But thought this was straightforward install. We keep taking out the line, bleeding the line making sure no bubbles, over and over again, even tried with the old line back on with no luck.

What are we missing!!!

·
Cheap Bastid
6,366 Posts
Chances are you may need to bleed either the master cylinder or the slave cylinder or both.

(And just to clarify for others since I was a little confused on your terminology & had to look it up, I think you meant to say you replaced the the clutch line. Hydraulic clutches have lines. Cable clutches have cables.)

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
The smallest air bubble will do it. Bleed the line at the banjo bolts too

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
He said that has all been done, took apart slave cyl and checked pistons.

Yes, clutch line sorry lol I really don't know much, did my best. Thanks a ton for the correction, edited thread.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Just got done replacing the clutch line on the '08 GSXR1000 with a stainless steel one and now the clutch is not working. We can put it in gear, but letting the clutch out doesn't do anything.

What are we missing!!!

You can put it in gear with the engine running ? Then release the clutch and it doesn't go forwards ? Your missing something big if thats the issue ,yer clutch is locked in the disengaged position ,did you bend or jam the clutch rod somehow when ferking around with the slave ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can put it in gear with the engine running ? Then release the clutch and it doesn't go forwards ? Your missing something big if thats the issue ,yer clutch is locked in the disengaged position ,did you bend or jam the clutch rod somehow when ferking around with the slave ?
Correct.
He has no idea what went wrong. He doesn't think he broke anything, was a simple thing to put in.

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
is there a blockage in the line that is preventing the fluid from returning to the master? get it all back together so the clutch is stuck disengaged, then crack the bleeder (at the slave). if there is pressure, fluid squirts out and the clutch engages, then it is a blockage in the line or master. no fluid then it's the clutch or slave

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sounds like he bled the system with the slave cylinder off the motor and/or the piston was extended.
Then, when bolted back onto the motor, it is applying constant pressure to the push rod keeping the clutch DISengaged at all times?
To properly bleed a hydraulic clutch you/he need to put a "C" clamp on the slave cylinder keeping the piston fully retracted.
They can be a b-atch to bleed, especially if you don't know the procedure.
I may be off base here but this is where folks usually go astray on hydro clutch bleeding.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I have good news and bad news. The good news is that the bike is perfectly fine and running great. The bad news is we are retards because it simply wouldn't disengage because it was suspended on the stands lol...

So we washed it and now happy besides feeling stupid :slaugh

1 - 14 of 14 Posts