Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Define upgrade?
The Nissans weigh less and are cheaper. They both work about the same, on paper.
My only personal direct comparison was on a Suzuki Katana 750 (can O'tuna for it's less then stellar handling). They went from the Toke to the Niss and I have owned both.
Don't remember there being much of a difference.
If you want to upgrade your braking, get Braided Lines. While on paper, the brake lines don't matter, out in the real world, the control and feedback of Stainless Steel brake lines give the rider confidence. That confidence allows the rider to get deeper into corners. It also allows a rider to keep their brakes right on the edge of 'out of control'. There is a thin place in space and time where things are optimum. Confidence allows you to look for it, then hold it when found.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi 3old2Race, From past experience, the Nissan 4 pots on my 2002 ZX9R, stopped really well with good feedback. My 2008 ZZR600 with Galfer rotors and brake pads and Russell lines doesn't even come close to having the bite of my stock ZX9R's brake system. Expanding on this from what others have said, there may be something to swapping out the 6 pots for the 4 pots. Taking off weight is also a bonus.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
Nissin. Not Nissan. Nissin. It's engraved on the caliper. If you can't read you probably shouldn't be re-engineering braking systems. Just a thought.

Six-piston calipers were designed primarily to allow for incremental pad replacement for wear and type on the leading vs trailing pads. If you're not doing endurance racing they offer limited benefit.

KeS

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nissin. Not Nissan. Nissin. It's engraved on the caliper. If you can't read you probably shouldn't be re-engineering braking systems. Just a thought.

Six-piston calipers were designed primarily to allow for incremental pad replacement for wear and type on the leading vs trailing pads. If you're not doing endurance racing they offer limited benefit.

KeS
:eek:nfloor Your a riot dude. They offer better stopping power.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
:eek:nfloor Your a riot dude. They offer better stopping power.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_pad

Although almost all road-going vehicles have only two brake pads per caliper, racing calipers utilize up to six pads, with varying frictional properties in a staggered pattern for optimum performance.
The Brake Man - Brake Truth #1

Adding more pistons to a brake caliper means using smaller pistons, elongating the caliper, and adding holes in key stress locations of the caliper.

Using smaller pistons means the overall combined piston surface area actually decreases; resulting in less, not more, clamping force.
BigBrakesCalipers

Another design usually incorporated with multiple piston calipers is differential piston size. The goal here is to further even out the pressure on the pad. This is done because the leading edge of the pad tends to "bite in" harder than the rear causing differential wear, thus a smaller piston is utilized in the front.
But ok, if you insist, here's your Nissan six-piston caliper. Mounting it should be no problem for a genius like yourself:

KeS

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
My Bad. I thought we were talking NISSIN (although, down here in the South, they are called Neice-SANS) 4 piston vs Tokie (I'm not even going to try and spell that. Like who really cares?) 6 pots.
I did a re-build on mine a couple of months ago. NISSIN 4 pots. Found a spider in the clutch side big piston. So you know that one wasn't working. The bike still stopped. Eventually.:spit
Those NISSIN 4 pots are tough and they work. I have enough stopping power to feel comfortable trying out "Organic" pads, Kevlar/Carbon fiber. They seem to work just fine Got less then 500 miles on them, so the rotors are probably not 'coated' yet. With the weather getting cold, I doubt that I will get over 1,000 on them before spring. I would guess from the feel that they are about FF. If they were sintered metal. What I took off were GG, so I'll just put them back if the new ones act funny on me. I don't get wild enough anymore to need HH.:tremble
Not sure if the rating system even applies to 'organic' brakes. :treehug

1 - 9 of 9 Posts