Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This bike I have been considering for a while: Ninja 650r

It's 650cc which should be big enough for freeway riding. I asked a guy on a Ninja 650r and he said he likes his bike and he can manuever well at slow speeds. And I want a bike that can maneuver at slow speeds to lane split or trying to make u-turns. Also it has the more upright position.

The rental guy said compared to the BMW R12000 I rented twice, he says it's similar stance but alot lighter and easier to handle. I hate trying to u-turn on a touring bike or just doing local street. And it's alot harder to lane split and I need a bike that can be driven with precision at low speeds when it comes to traffic.

But ya, comments?

·
Registered
98 Posts
+1 above. See, the 250 is supremely underrated for highways. It honestly and really can perform at speed. It may not be able to kick someone's arse at a 60 mph pull, but honestly, anyone on the highway can do fine with one. Not having a ton of torque at highway speeds doesn't make it less reputable. Plus, I don't know about you, but I love listening to that parallel twin scream anyway. Since it, for the record, would be your first owned motorcycle, I wouldn't keep it out of sight.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Don't waste your time with the ninja 650r, have your Dad to buy you a real ninja to carry you around on his shoulders.

a 650r can easily hit 100+mph, even with one of your little birdies sitting in the tank bag.

·
Registered
178 Posts
SMH at wanting to lane split but struggling with U-turns. Classic.

Either the best kind of troll or the worst kind of person. I haven't figured out which yet.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
A Ninja 250 can do highway speeds, handles well at low speeds, and can lane split. It can do u-turns too!
This. I had my old 250 up to 110 indicated, probably around 100 actual. It won't do 160ish like a 600SS will, but it will hold its own on the highways, even on CA freeways.

And honestly, you shouldn't even think about lane splitting for a year.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I think you'd be most unhappy with the low horsepower of the 650R. If you decide to buy it anyway, you might look into adding nitrous.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I dunno, after his first couple times bouncing off cars and the pavement maybe he'll lose his fascination with 2 wheels and leave us all alone.
You could suggest he forego any gear and put the money toward horsepower.....

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
This bike I have been considering for a while: Ninja 650r

It's 650cc which should be big enough for freeway riding. I asked a guy on a Ninja 650r and he said he likes his bike and he can manuever well at slow speeds. And I want a bike that can maneuver at slow speeds to lane split or trying to make u-turns. Also it has the more upright position.

The rental guy said compared to the BMW R12000 I rented twice, he says it's similar stance but alot lighter and easier to handle. I hate trying to u-turn on a touring bike or just doing local street. And it's alot harder to lane split and I need a bike that can be driven with precision at low speeds when it comes to traffic.

But ya, comments?
Any bike will maneuver at slow speeds. Some are easier than others... But it's the nut holding the seat to the handlebars that is the limiting factor there.

A 650 is plenty big enough for the highway. As was already pointed out, a 250 is big enough for the highway. There's not a single highway in the country that a Ninja 250 can't get you a speeding ticket on.

A 650cc twin is about the largest bike most of us here recommend to new riders, and usually we recommend a 650 to someone with dirt bike experience. A 250 or a 500 would be a far better choice for you. This is your first bike, not your last (unless you get in over your head, wreck, and die... Hey, great reason not to jump into something too big right away). But there are also far worse choices than a 650.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
And honestly, you shouldn't even think about lane splitting for a year.
I'm not necessarily going to agree with this. I was splitting lanes after about 3 months and 1k miles. However, I started slowly on the streets at red lights only and it took the better part of a year before I was splitting comfortably on the freeway. I'm far more confident on the freeway now, but I have 30k worth of commuting miles which are just about all traffic and freeway. Not for the faint of heart.

To that degree JetFalcon, and we already know you're a moron, but stay the fuck out of the way of the experienced splitters and keep an eye on your mirrors. There have been a lot of noob splitters (riders?) lately and I'm glad to see them riding within their pace, but if you're only going 15 mph in first gear, gtfo of the way please.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not necessarily going to agree with this. I was splitting lanes after about 3 months and 1k miles. However, I started slowly on the streets at red lights only and it took the better part of a year before I was splitting comfortably on the freeway. I'm far more confident on the freeway now, but I have 30k worth of commuting miles which are just about all traffic and freeway. Not for the faint of heart.

To that degree JetFalcon, and we already know you're a moron, but stay the fuck out of the way of the experienced splitters and keep an eye on your mirrors. There have been a lot of noob splitters (riders?) lately and I'm glad to see them riding within their pace, but if you're only going 15 mph in first gear, gtfo of the way please.
Okay, we all understand this is the only place you feel accepted.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
So are we the closest thing you have to friends then?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Okay, we all understand this is the only place you feel accepted.
Sure is. I need acceptance and I'm afraid if I don't have it I'll have to make up crazy stories to prove that I belong here.

Listen kid, take the advice, or stfu. I don't really care if you want to get splattered under a big rig because you're splitting lanes too fast, but learn a little respect for the people that more experience than you are and get out of the way when you have people splitting faster then you are.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Jet, there are many motorcyclists who have road rage. Do not think being a motorcyclist, you will be exempt. You're gonna look really stupid splitting lamely around cagers, and then for them to see another motorcyclist break your mirrors for being annoying. It has happened and I doubt human nature will change anytime soon.

play at your own risk. you keep talking a certain way online but its clear to people who are not pre-teens that you're just a low self esteem story teller and you're playing with fire. Keep living in pretend land and when you fall back down to reality, your drop might just be from so far high, you'll never recover.

btw, a broken mirror should be the least of your concerns. your mommie and daddie wont save you from everything. quit being a dick to people who are trying to help your stupid ass because really mean people are plentiful and will NEVER hestitate to hurt you in as many ways as possible.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts