Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it a good idea to get a Ninja 500R for my first bike over a used 02' YZF600 (not the R6)?

:)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Mos def! The yzf600R is a lotta bike, this previously used to be yamaha's leader in the 600 class, so its no walk in the park to learn on

·
Registered
268 Posts
i agree too. If your first car was a ferrari, you'd be dead, most likely. Start small, work your way up, you get much more satisfaction that way anyway, trust me.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Age and maturity plays a big part. If you're 16 I would recommend the Ninja 500, if you're 30 and past the "show off" stage I would recommend the YZF600.

·
Registered
584 Posts
500R is THE shit :headbang get it. You can still have plenty of fun on it.

I was just riding in a pack with 2 Honda 954RRs, an R1 and an R6. Even though I couldn't pull as hard as they could, but we all had fun :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your input guys! I put the money down on the 05 Ninja and will pay cash for the thing new. $4399, not bad if you ask me :) I'm sure i'll have a great time. Anyone in MA who would be interested in group rides?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually guys, it was $4399 but with freight/prep it came out to $4615. He didn't have it in stock, so I went with the blue 05 ninja for $4883 out the door from a diff. dealer in my town (with everything it'll be $5100 to get it on the road) so you guys didn't get ripped off! :)

·
Registered
549 Posts
rfkicker2000 said:
Actually guys, it was $4399 but with freight/prep it came out to $4615. He didn't have it in stock, so I went with the blue 05 ninja for $4883 out the door from a diff. dealer in my town (with everything it'll be $5100 to get it on the road) so you guys didn't get ripped off! :)
Beginning with the 2004 model year Kawaski dropped the MSRP... I think it was $4999 and now it's $4599, or something like that. Don't remember the exact numbers offhand. With a little work, you can find a dealer that will go even lower... that's probably the case with the first dealer. The OTD price from the second dealer is probably based on the $4599 MSRP.

Edit: Nope, I fugged up again. Kwakker's site sez 2004 MSRP is $4899, but I do believe that's slightly less that previous years. Either way, you got a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Funny you should say that. I talked the dealer down on the MSRP last night from $4899 to $4599, but then the stupid dealer fees come into play and brings the bike to $4883 out the door. Don't forget the tax/title/reg/ins and gear making it a solid $5400 to own. I'd best not drop it being my first bike! :)

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
dealer fee's are a joke........they are there just to get extra $,

·
Registered
134 Posts
congratz on the new bike. About the dropping thing its most likely will happen because 99% of riders if not at own fault but at the fault of others have been down ( including myself on my 04 500R with 2500km on the odo ).

And don't think just because its a 500 you can't get into some serious speeds. Mine has been up to 138mph and still had room on the rpm gauge for more.

Hopefully you can enjoy the bike and keep the shiny side up longer then I did... Lucky for my it was a small fall at low speeds with no injury to myself just the bike. But just another reason for me to get it repainted.

Getting my parts back tomorrow YAY!!

HAVE FUN!!

·
Registered
288 Posts
d0hnj0e said:
And don't think just because its a 500 you can't get into some serious speeds. Mine has been up to 138mph and still had room on the rpm gauge for more.

Hmmmm is that 138 km or mph? From what I've read the 500 will get to 118 mph. I'm nowhere near that as I just got the bike.....I was bout to shit in my pants at 65....and I'm still in my break in period.

·
Registered
584 Posts
drmnlateef said:
Hmmmm is that 138 km or mph? From what I've read the 500 will get to 118 mph. I'm nowhere near that as I just got the bike.....I was bout to shit in my pants at 65....and I'm still in my break in period.
lol, the first time you actually realize how much wind is out there is always a bit scary.

Since I started riding a bike, I now drive my car with widows DOWN, since there's NOT ENOUGH WIND

1 - 20 of 26 Posts