Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok heres my story.

I was riding on thursday when the bike starting bogging. it was like someone cut the spark from the engine. but after a few secounds it would come back and the bike would take off. then i notcied in my mirrors a blue haze behind my bike. then the oil light came on ( i was in the process of pulling over when the oil light came on) i shut off the bike and parked. the oil pan drain plug came out so oil was just pouring out the hole. after getting that fixed i put oil in it and drove the bike home. the bogging problem stated getting worse and worse.
Today i got home from a weekend trip and clean all the oil off the bike.gave it a once over everything looked fine. started it up and it ran perfect. so i went out for a drive but after about 10 minutes when the bike really started to warm up the problem came back.
My first thought was one spark plug wire had too much play in it but it should be fine a a week ago i pulleg the plug and cleaned and regaped them clean the k&n filter and changed the oil and filter.
What should i look for on my bike?

·
Registered
731 Posts
I had a similar problem once. Try this things.

Try to rub the spark plug on a stone (not to strong thou :D). Try to rub off some layers of oil and what ever there mite be on.

Then look for the timing box, its the small box which times the plugs sparks. If you follow the cables from the spark plug you should find it. If you did loose that much oil, it could be that its all over the timing box and a slight rest electricity flowes through the cables. Just try to clean them a bit.

Also have a look at the filter right after the fuel tank, could be that a leave or similar is in there and sometimes cuts the flow.

Also try to refill the complete tank and get some new oil, have it run for 1/2 an hour in your garage and have a look at the oil again.

As for now I can't think of anything else. If you could describe that "bogging" a bit more maybe I can think of something more.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bike has fresh oil in it and fresh tank of gas the day the problem started.
Ill have to check the fuel filter. i may have moved it around when i had the tank off to check the plugs which could have lossened up some dirt inside.

·
Registered
175 Posts
badbowtie said:
The bike has fresh oil in it and fresh tank of gas the day the problem started.
Ill have to check the fuel filter. i may have moved it around when i had the tank off to check the plugs which could have lossened up some dirt inside.

Thats possible, when I put a new valve cover gasket on I let the fuel tank sit at an angle (long story as why) on the floor half full for a week. Put it back together and went for a ride, later the bike started bogging down. When I got home I checked the filter and it was full of rust that flaked away from the parts of the tank that was dry while sitting.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cant even find my fuel filter the only filter i found was screens on the pick ups.
Well my father and i took the tank of and adjusted the rear suspension. i put in new spark plugs. raise the idle speed and check all the hoses etc.

unfortunately when my father had the tank side ways to take the pick ups out from the tank when he put the tank down it wasnt stable and fell to the floor and put scratches all over the top of the tank. Some 22 birthday present dad! oh well he'll fix it. i want to paint the bike this winter anyways so this is one more reason.

now the motor seems to run fine at least in nuetral. but it has a failry loud ticking noise coming from the top front of the motor. hopefully i didnt damage anything too badly up there.

·
Registered
251 Posts
badbowtie said:
I cant even find my fuel filter the only filter i found was screens on the pick ups.
Well my father and i took the tank of and adjusted the rear suspension. i put in new spark plugs. raise the idle speed and check all the hoses etc.

unfortunately when my father had the tank side ways to take the pick ups out from the tank when he put the tank down it wasnt stable and fell to the floor and put scratches all over the top of the tank. Some 22 birthday present dad! oh well he'll fix it. i want to paint the bike this winter anyways so this is one more reason.

now the motor seems to run fine at least in nuetral. but it has a failry loud ticking noise coming from the top front of the motor. hopefully i didnt damage anything too badly up there.
Ticking is likely the cam chain and it will likely clear up on it's own when the tensioner ratchets out another tooth.

I can't help but think the bogging and oil loss are unrelated since one would not cause the other and vice versa. Check to be sure the gas cap vents properly. If it's not allowing air in to the tank when fuel is flowing out, it will create a low pressure in the tank and cause fuel starvation. When the problem happens again. Shut the engine off and open the gas cap. If there is a "wooshing" sound of air rushing into the tank, you have a blocked vent in the cap. You can take the cap apart and fix it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
stoinkythepig said:
Check to be sure the gas cap vents properly. If it's not allowing air in to the tank when fuel is flowing out, it will create a low pressure in the tank and cause fuel starvation. When the problem happens again. Shut the engine off and open the gas cap. If there is a "wooshing" sound of air rushing into the tank, you have a blocked vent in the cap. You can take the cap apart and fix it.
I should have thought of that. It just happened to me a couple a weeks ago. Except it was bad enough that it died and would not restart. I thought something else was wrong. Than a few minutes later it started right up. I think it was the vent because now I remember a slight sucking sound around the cap.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well not sure exactly what the problem was but im thinking it was a kinked fuel line that was blocking fuel flow. what ever changed the spark plugs adjust the rear suspension a bit and put it all back together and it runs perfectly now!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey badbowtie... glad to hear the problem's gone away. If you need any future diagnostic help with your 500, let me know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts