Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Yesterday i was cruisin with my dad for a couple hours, and turning onto a small residential street i hit some crazy gravel/sand and laid down the ninja 500. I busted my front left blinker assembly and bent my shifter pedal pretty bad, but aside from that its lookin pretty good. It still runs like a champ too.

I ordered the new parts from kawasaki, and i was thinking of doing them myself. The blinker install looks pretty easy, but i can't even figure out how i would get the shifter pedal off...How would i go about doing it? Also, is there anything else i should look our after laying it down?

Thanks,
Tre

·
Registered
75 Posts
Try bending the shifter pedal back with a cresant wrench or something first. I bent brake pedal once and i was able to bend it back without taking it off... IF you have to take it off get a repair manual or look at www.buykawasaki.com... look under vehicle information then parts diagram. Also I'd look on ebay for a turn signal... Kawasaki dealer prices are pretty crazy.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'd suggest buying the repair manual...you will not only use it for what you are trying to fix now but down the road it will come in handy. Best $25 spent on my bike yet!

·
Registered
981 Posts
replacing the blinker assembly depends on how it broke. the previous owner to my bike dropped it and cracked the mounting hole on the upperfairing so it no longer stays in by itself, i have to tape it in. the signal/stalk itself hardly ever breaks cuz its mostly rubber. the signal just 'pops' into the upper fairing. (look at the good side for a comparison).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The shifter is FREAKING hard to bend....tried bending it with a wrench and i tried hammering it too, but its really jacked. instead of being shaped liek an L its more like a C. Can anyone with a manual briefly tell me how to get the shifter pedal off? Doesnt like look conventional nuts and bolts...Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ok, but if you plan to work on your own bike, you should really spend $25 on a Haynes or Clymer manual. Remove the allen-head bolt which attaches the shifter to the frame next to the footpeg. Then, underneath the engine, you'll fine a bolt that clamps the shifter to the engine/transmission. Remove that bolt. Finally, there will be an e-clip that attaches the shifter to the engine/transmission. Slide that out with a flat-head screwdriver.

Reverse the above to install the new shifter pedal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts