Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
i have installed this woodcraft handle bars today and they look amazing and dont have any clearense isssues, but I didnt have the time to try them out, the question is i have one thing that i am a bit worried about, do you think that by time the clip ons will loosen and make the handle bar slide down from the triple clamp by time, just asking for the reason that they are holding on lock nuts, thx ;)

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
If they're installed correctly and torqued down properly, you should be good to go. If you're worried, put some locktite on the bolts, and then check the tightness periodically.

It's not a bad idea to check anything that you've installed shortly after installation, just to make sure it hasn't loosened. Nearly any bolt that I take off, I put locktite on when I reinstall it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i usually use locktite on any bolts i use like you do but in this case i havent becouse somepeople say that if you need to remove this clip ons for some reason you havent got anyroom with the fairing on to make some strength and loosen the bolts with the loctite on

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
i usually use locktite on any bolts i use like you do but in this case i havent becouse somepeople say that if you need to remove this clip ons for some reason you havent got anyroom with the fairing on to make some strength and loosen the bolts with the loctite on
If you have this problem, you're just not using the right tools.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If they're installed correctly and torqued down properly, you should be good to go. If you're worried, put some locktite on the bolts, and then check the tightness periodically.

It's not a bad idea to check anything that you've installed shortly after installation, just to make sure it hasn't loosened. Nearly any bolt that I take off, I put locktite on when I reinstall it.
If you do decide to use loctite, do not use it with nylon locknuts. The loctite will make the nylon brittle. A properly torqued locknut will not loosen unless installed on an axis of rotation (in which case a castelated nut and pin should be used).

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
If you do decide to use loctite, do not use it with nylon locknuts. The loctite will make the nylon brittle. A properly torqued locknut will not loosen unless installed on an axis of rotation (in which case a castelated nut and pin should be used).
I don't know why anyone would use loctite with a nylon lock nut to begin with, as the nylon lock nut does the same job as the loctite. However, I don't see any real harm in the nylon being made brittle by the loctite, I mean the loctite will just take over the job of the lock nut at that point. But, yeah, still a good idea not to...

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don't know why anyone would use loctite with a nylon lock nut to begin with, as the nylon lock nut does the same job as the loctite. However, I don't see any real harm in the nylon being made brittle by the loctite, I mean the loctite will just take over the job of the lock nut at that point. But, yeah, still a good idea not to...
Not really as half the threaded area of locknuts are covered with the nylon patch. Basically the nylon breaks down and the nut then spins off. Loctite actually forms a bond between the two surfaces while a nylon locking patch holds due to friction.

Some people just don't know and think more is better; just keeping up the FYI.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have literally flipped a Kawasaki Ninja 250 over (wheelie looped) with Woodcraft clip-ons. They did the job, they bent but I made it home (YES I drove away although the forks were severely bent). I also had woodcraft rearsets on too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts