Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I just came back from my local motorcycle dealer and sat on a couple bikes. I'm looking to buy my first bike and I had full intentions of buying a Ninja 250 but when I sat on it, it felt really cramped. My knees were digging into the gas tank and overall it was just really small and uncomfortable. I'm about 6'1 - 6'3 depending on which convenience store I'm leaving and I weigh about 170.

Now, before I even sat on the 250, the salesman recommended the new 2013 Honda CBR500. This bike was sooo comfortable. My knees fit perfectly on the gas tank and felt like I had plenty of room. He said it was a pretty good first bike and had a nice power band. I told him I wanted to compare how it feels to be on a 250 and it was just really bad.

So, my question(s) is: Is it wise to spend all that money on a brand new bike when I probably will drop it? He quoted me $6200 for the bike; the KBBV is $5115, is that a standard price for a dealership? Is the CBR500 a good first bike?

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
6 grand for a first bike is nothing short of fucking ridiculous.

I am all legs, and I fit on my 250 fine. I dunno how you were sitting.

Reactions: mfromphilly1

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey, I just came back from my local motorcycle dealer and sat on a couple bikes. I'm looking to buy my first bike and I had full intentions of buying a Ninja 250 but when I sat on it, it felt really cramped. My knees were digging into the gas tank and overall it was just really small and uncomfortable. I'm about 6'1 - 6'3 depending on which convenience store I'm leaving and I weigh about 170.

Now, before I even sat on the 250, the salesman recommended the new 2013 Honda CBR500. This bike was sooo comfortable. My knees fit perfectly on the gas tank and felt like I had plenty of room. He said it was a pretty good first bike and had a nice power band. I told him I wanted to compare how it feels to be on a 250 and it was just really bad.

So, my question(s) is: Is it wise to spend all that money on a brand new bike when I probably will drop it? He quoted me $6200 for the bike; the KBBV is $5115, is that a standard price for a dealership? Is the CBR500 a good first bike?
While I don't own the newer ninja I have sat on one with out any problems. I also own a 05 and have done 4+ hours rides on it without any real discomfort. I am 6'1" and 210lb.

Just my 2 cents but you should never spend that kind of money on your first bike. For so many reasons:

1) you will drop it
2) YOU WILL DROP IT!!!
3) you might hate biking
4) might find out that some other type of bike is more your thing
5) you might just end up hating the bike (you don't know what you like at this stage)
6) YOU WILL DROP IT
7) if you change bikes in the next few years (and you will), you will lose money on it, an old 250 can be sold for about the same if not the same as what you payed.
8) your first bike is not your last
9) you do not want to worry about damaging it because you have no idea what you are doing.

Get something cheep ride the crap out of it, and figure out then what you want. Your first bike is not your last.

·
b4k4 b4k4
65 Posts

That seems like a high price - I mean if you're willing to pay it, feel free, but really, you'd probably be better off getting a used 250 or 500 for 1/2 that price and riding the hell out of it for a few seasons (its your first bike, not your last).

On a related note - I'm 6'2" and run about 190lbs (+/- 5lbs depending on the time of the year; long limbs in general) and never had issues on a Ninja 250 (my ex-wife use to have one and I rode around on it quite a bit, sometimes with her on the back! That bike was a ton of fun...) so I'm not quite sure how it is you don't fit - but hey to each their own.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. It's very possible that I was somehow sitting on it wrong being as how I have no idea what I'm doing.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
While I don't own the newer ninja I have sat on one with out any problems. I also own a 05 and have done 4+ hours rides on it without any real discomfort. I am 6'1" and 210lb.

Just my 2 cents but you should never spend that kind of money on your first bike. For so many reasons:

1) you will drop it
2) YOU WILL DROP IT!!!
3) you might hate biking
4) might find out that some other type of bike is more your thing
5) you might just end up hating the bike (you don't know what you like at this stage)
6) YOU WILL DROP IT
7) if you change bikes in the next few years (and you will), you will lose money on it, an old 250 can be sold for about the same if not the same as what you payed.
8) your first bike is not your last
9) you do not want to worry about damaging it because you have no idea what you are doing.

Get something cheep ride the crap out of it, and figure out then what you want. Your first bike is not your last.
Why does everyone say you will drop your first bike? I mean I've done 1000 miles on my 500 and haven't dropped it yet. I mean there's still time for me to drop it I guess..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Skid Mark
1,294 Posts
Why does everyone say you will drop your first bike? I mean I've done 1000 miles on my 500 and haven't dropped it yet. I mean there's still time for me to drop it I guess..

it's a rite of passage... sort of. for the record, i've had 3 bikes so far and i never "dropped" any of them. my wife dropped the first one for me. i wrecked the second and the third fell over while it was parked one day. no big deal unless you're a perfectionist...

s3aturnr

·
Registered
8,142 Posts

Buy used for your first bike. A 250 or 500 are both good starter bikes... However, a new bike isn't a good starter bike, unless money is no object to you.

I started off on a Ninja 250. I'm 6'0" and weighed 200lbs when I owned it. I also have really long arms and legs; I have a 33" inseam. It fit me just fine. Sure, a bit small, but I got used to it really quickly... Like within minutes.

BTW, how tall are you? I've never heard an adult give their height as a range before...

I had to laugh at the bolded part. :eek:nfloor

Because there's a really, really high probability that you will. Not everyone does, but most do. I never wrecked or dropped my first bike ever in the almost 15,000 miles I owned it. My second bike I've wrecked once and dropped four or five times now, I've lost count.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Regardless of the financial implications...

The CBR500 is actually designed to be a beginners bike. It was designed to meet the requirements of the A2 license, 48hp limit, and you must hold the A2 license for two years before getting the Open Class License.

Used bike? Actually, used or new, it costs the same to fix it up. Brand new replacement plastics do not depreciate, and they will cost the same for a Ninja 500 or a CBR500. Only difference is that you can buy a used bike that is already beaten up, beat up a bit more on it, and not lose a lot of money on it. On a new bike you'll be looking at at least 15% depreciation just to ride it out of the lot, plus whatever it costs to fix it up...

I guess for some people buying a junker and selling it even more beaten up works, but I'm not that kind of person, I'll fix whatever damage is done to my bikes. I rather start with a brand new bike or a used bike in very good condition that needs no fixing...

BUT, a new bike means you don't have to "gamble" on the unknowns of an used bike. Unless you have someone you trust that really knows how to check a used bike before you buy it... Go new. A new rider needs to learn how to ride, not to spend most of the time wrenching on a bike fixing the problems the PO walked away from. I was a noob once too, and the first "big" bike that I bought, used of course, was a POS. Didn't knew better at the time, the weird handling, didn't knew what to look for, etc. I ended up paying big money to fix it up, and I enjoyed it a lot, but I would had been WAY better off having a mechanic check the bike before I bought it.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts

I've done more than 1000 miles in a single weekend, you still have a very long way to go...

·
Registered
33 Posts

I have not dropped either one of my bikes. But I did drop my wifes bike in the first week of her getting it, and she has dropped it twice, once in the first month and then again 2 years later (she was moving it around an odd cerb). Most people drop their bikes, and while you might not YET, it will most likely happen. Most of the time its just trying to move it around (fit it in the garage, around a car, backing it up).

·
Registered
3,498 Posts

I never dropped my first bike either, was a 500 I traded in for a nearly new Ninja 650R. First day I brought the 650 home, I dropped it in my parking space...

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Regardless of the financial implications...

The CBR500 is actually designed to be a beginners bike. It was designed to meet the requirements of the A2 license, 48hp limit, and you must hold the A2 license for two years before getting the Open Class License.

Used bike? Actually, used or new, it costs the same to fix it up. Brand new replacement plastics do not depreciate, and they will cost the same for a Ninja 500 or a CBR500. Only difference is that you can buy a used bike that is already beaten up, beat up a bit more on it, and not lose a lot of money on it. On a new bike you'll be looking at at least 15% depreciation just to ride it out of the lot, plus whatever it costs to fix it up...

I guess for some people buying a junker and selling it even more beaten up works, but I'm not that kind of person, I'll fix whatever damage is done to my bikes. I rather start with a brand new bike or a used bike in very good condition that needs no fixing...

BUT, a new bike means you don't have to "gamble" on the unknowns of an used bike. Unless you have someone you trust that really knows how to check a used bike before you buy it... Go new. A new rider needs to learn how to ride, not to spend most of the time wrenching on a bike fixing the problems the PO walked away from. I was a noob once too, and the first "big" bike that I bought, used of course, was a POS. Didn't knew better at the time, the weird handling, didn't knew what to look for, etc. I ended up paying big money to fix it up, and I enjoyed it a lot, but I would had been WAY better off having a mechanic check the bike before I bought it.
I 100% agree with this. I have seen too many people "think" they got a great deal, until they start fixing it. I like knowing I how my bike is treated.

If you like the CBR500R, by all means, buy it. You won't regret it. But WHEN you drop it, man up, and face it that you messed up, move on, fix it, enjoy it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I 100% agree with this. I have seen too many people "think" they got a great deal, until they start fixing it. I like knowing I how my bike is treated.

If you like the CBR500R, by all means, buy it. You won't regret it. But WHEN you drop it, man up, and face it that you messed up, move on, fix it, enjoy it.
I actually agree with this. I mean theyre reasons to buy both but I just prefer new too. But as far as price, is the difference between the Kelly Blue Book value and the dealership price normal?

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
KBB CBR500 - Retail 4685 + 455 for ABS = 5140
NADA CBR500 - Retail 6499 (ABS) 5999 (Non-ABS)

I'm guessing they use NADA. :shrug Good luck talking them down any or a lower price at a different stealership.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
First I would go with a used 500. If your comfortable on the 500 and not the 250 then there is no reason not to get the 500. If you take your time you can find plenty of clean 500's that are a year or 2 old with low miles that will be much less. I dont know of anyone that does a bunch of drag racing on 500's or beats the hell out of them on the street so you shouldnt have any mechanical problems as long as it does not have a bunch of miles on it.

If you decide to go new then shop around. Look at dealerships that are close then even look online at ones that are out of state. Find a great price then call your local shops and see if they will match the price. It might take a couple but someone will want your money. Just make it clear that you dont mind crossing the state line to pick up a bike if it is going to save you a bunch of money. When I purchased my 08 ZX14 new this is what I did. It saved me about 3k and they delivered it to my door but I had to contact several dealerships. The ones close to me did not want my money.... the one 4 hours away did.... and they delivered the bike to me in a covered trailer. It was great.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
:bowdown

Have you had to park on a 10% downhill dirt grade yet? Ride down a v-shaped alley with a drainage channel in the middle so you have to ride on a camber while pushing off the opposite side with your foot repeatedly? Curbs? Stairs? Shoelaces? Had a backfire spit the throttle body off and turn a twin into a single abruptly? Clutch cable snap while you're maneuvering at low speed? Stick pop up and jam the chain and sprocket while you're trying to back up? Have to pop a wheelie RIGHT NOW to get the front wheel over whatever the hell just fell off the car in front of you? Tried to ride off with your disk lock in place?

Have you ever had the reticulated python you were riding home with on your lap stick its head through the pillow case and had to grab it behind the head and ride one-handed?

Some of these events are common, some - less so. The point is that experience is what you get right after you needed it. Just like anything else, the more experience you have, the better you can recognize and classify problems as or before they occur. Beginners by definition don't have a lot of experience, and things take them by surprise that wouldn't surprise someone with more experience. Reactions to things that take you by surprise often result in dropped bikes.

KeS

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
it's a rite of passage... sort of. for the record, i've had 3 bikes so far and i never "dropped" any of them. my wife dropped the first one for me. i wrecked the second and the third fell over while it was parked one day. no big deal unless you're a perfectionist...

s3aturnr
Took me 15years of bike ownership to finally over the entire course of ownership have a bike that did not fall over , get knocked over or crashed .

·
Registered
917 Posts
I dropped my first bike on the second day I had it. It was used with damage from the previous owner so I didn't care. I'm sure I would have been upset if it was a brand new, shiny and cost $5000.

I also had a minor lowside (stupid newb mistake) and had the upper cowling crunched into a guard rail at 5mph (steep downhill reverse grade extremely sharp hairpin, like a u-turn almost). First two were within my first 1000, third was somewhere before 2000 I think. While you may be a better initial rider than I was (or am now), sometimes you face unexpected challenges like that hairpin.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts