Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading up on post here and these seem to be very popular starter bikes. What size should I get is the question. Im 5'11" 230, if that matters. Im no lightweight as they say. Thanks for any help.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
With your size go with the 500, it will be plenty of power to move you around. The Ninja 500 is just as tame as the 250 and just as easy to handle too. Glad to hear you are starting small! Enjoy riding!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Definitely the 500.

·
Banned
912 Posts
Go with the ZX-10 LOL just kidding. Take a riding course and then see if you can ride a friends 600 thats what I started on. Had no problems!

·
Registered
569 Posts
marsolais said:
Go with the ZX-10 LOL just kidding. Take a riding course and then see if you can ride a friends 600 thats what I started on. Had no problems!
Starting on a 600 is a bad idea... a very bad idea.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Mykl said:
Starting on a 600 is a bad idea... a very bad idea.
+1 to that.

Seriously, how dare you try to talk him into something he knows he's not ready for. Please keep with your original plan, do not listen to this guy. He thinks he's "doing fine", but he'd be doing alot better if he had started on a Ninja 500 or something similar.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice everyone. I thought with my big boned self the 500 might be a better bike for me. LOL! I didnt want to get in over my head though if the 500 was too big. Ill look to get a 500 then in the future. Thanks for the help again.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm in the same situation (relatively speaking) as you....beginning rider looking at the 250 and 500...I recently saw the Suzuki GS500F, nice lookin bike dude, you should check that out as well.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Take the MSF course if you haven't, great course that will help you a lot. If you are comphy with the 250's they use to teach the course and you feel as thought you got the hang of it pretty well then move on up to the 500.
Good luck :D,
Courtney

·
Registered
394 Posts
This is easy. I agree that you should go for the Ninja 500. Both are great starters, but for your size the extra 250cc's would be better for you. Many people who start on a Ninja 500 never sell it. Great bike with plenty of power.

Good luck!

Tom

·
Registered
584 Posts
I just bought a Ninja 500R (I'm 6'1 200lb). Yesterday a co-worker of mine came over and was giving me the beginning lessons (starting, moving, turning, braking, upshiftin, downshifting).... and if felt awesome. Even though I hit a couple of serious bumps, throttle never got out of control, and it provided enough pulling power in the lower RPMs to get you moving.

I'm very glad I didn't go with 250 and this thing looks like it will last me at least a year or more

1 - 11 of 11 Posts