Sport Bikes banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imagine fixing to walk out the door to go to the bank and get out some cash to go get a bike, when someone else responds to my "WTB" ad on craig's list and tells me he has a 2005 Ninja 250 with 823 miles on it as well as a "$300 Helmet" and "$200" jacket for maybe $2500... He is checking to see how much he has left to pay on his loan before he'll know whether he can take $2500 for it... He also said that he has kept the motor below 5k rpms and followed the suggested break-in procedures exactly... The bike is in perfect condition and has never been dropped, scratched or anything... What do y'all think?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Why is he selling it? Seems strange that it only has 823 miles and he suddenly has cash flow problems? Why didn't he have cash flow problems 823 miles earlier? It looks like a good deal on the surface. Maybe get the VIN to run a check plus ask to meet him at the dealership to have the bike inspected. Does he have clear title? Just some things to think about.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok... aparrently the jacket is a FirstGear and the helmet is HJC... I dont think I really want to trust a used helmet tho, especially since its one of the cheaper brands...

He said he's selling the bike because he was in an accident in his car and had to buy a new car and now he can't afford the payments on the bike and the car... I dont know what to think, seems kind of shady...

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
sounds like a good deal ,see if you can meet him at HIS bank and do the exchange there.

i bet his payoff is higher then he thinks though.........

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it seems that he can't find out what his payoff is until he gets off work, which will be after the banks close, and I am leaving town for the semester tonight... Do y'all think I should go ahead and go to the bank and try to get the loan, or I guess it wouldn't do me a whole lot of good since the guy will still have to go to his bank and pay off the loan before he can get the title, right, or is that only if he leased it? I'm just trying to figure out how I can get this all taken care of before I leave town until thanksgiving...

He just sent me a picture of what the bike looks like. The picture is from the kawasaki web-site, but he said thats exactly like what the bike looks like...

Attachments

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
I would be very leary. That sounds like a transaction to be completed IN PERSON at HIS bank only...

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would go with "no". The dude might be the most upstanding guy but you don't know that and unless you have 2500.00 to blow walk away.
Tell him thanks.
There will be other bikes I promise.

Vic

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'd buy the bike, but be very cautious.

Ask if you can take it for a test ride, if not, have him ride the bike around. Check for damage and check the VIN to see if it was stolen.

HJC is a good helmet. I got one myself. It's just as safe, or safer, than the more expensive ones. Just a little heavier and fit and finish is lower.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts