Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've really been looking into the Ninja 250's lately. I've read that after around 30,000 miles, the engines need to be changed out. I was wondering what specifically goes wrong. If it was the connecting rod, or a piston, or a crankshaft or something, wouldn't it be easier and cheaper just to order those specific parts, and change them yourself so you don't have to buy the whole engine? I'm looking to get an older one so that if I dump it I won't feel too bad for messing the stuff up that much, and if the miles are high on it, I won't have to worry about finding a whole new engine to transfer. Thanks alot.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Who told you that? A properly mantained 250 ninja engine will last around 80,000 miles.

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
I've heard around 50 - 60k miles.

From what I've heard, they need rings and bearings, but that's primarily it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Who told you that? A properly mantained 250 ninja engine will last around 80,000 miles.
I read it somewhere, but I forgot where.

Thanks for clarifying that issue up. hehe.
Rings and bearing wouldn't be too much in cost or time, I was just afraid of getting an older one with some high miles, then have to put money into the motor right away.

Thanks again, greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
498 Posts
A maintained 250R engine will reasonably last 50K+ miles. I've seen examples that have lasted 80-90K miles but that is with very regular care and not a lot of thrashing. 60K miles is achievable if you ride it like the sportbike it is and take care of it.

What goes on the 250R engine is either the top end or the main or rod bearings. Once the bearings go, it is cheaper to buy a used 250R engine to replace it unless you like tearing down engines.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What goes on the 250R engine is either the top end or the main or rod bearings. Once the bearings go, it is cheaper to buy a used 250R engine to replace it unless you like tearing down engines.
:popcorn Tearing down engines is fun entertainment haha. I don't mind ripping into em. :cheers

·
Registered
600 Posts
I've heard of more people running out of adjustment travel on the valve adjustment screws than anything else. Although after that happens, it's a bit of a crapshoot as to how long it will last. Lots of folks ride them just fine after the adjustment travel runs out and do just fine for several thousand miles.

I've always heard 30k for an abused motor, 50k on average, and 60k+ for an exceptionally well-maintained and serviced example.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts