Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I volunteered to chagne the front tire on a friend's NH 250. After I shot my big mouth off I realizng it has a drum brake, and tubed tires (I think?). I've done a million tubeless tires on bikes with radial brakes, but I've never tackled a job like this. Anyone have any tips on removing the wheel on a NH 250, or on a drum-brake bike in general? A set of torque specs would be helpful too.

Thanks in advance,

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
I volunteered to chagne the front tire on a friend's NH 250. After I shot my big mouth off I realizng it has a drum brake, and tubed tires (I think?). I've done a million tubeless tires on bikes with radial brakes, but I've never tackled a job like this. Anyone have any tips on removing the wheel on a NH 250, or on a drum-brake bike in general? A set of torque specs would be helpful too.

Thanks in advance,
The cable disconnects from the drum actuation lever in a fairly obvious manner with just standard wrenches, and you can ignore the brake from that point.

KeS

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cable disconnects from the drum actuation lever in a fairly obvious manner with just standard wrenches, and you can ignore the brake from that point.

KeS
Thanks. Does the drum come apart when the wheel comes off, or does it stay as one piece?

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
The brake shoe carrier comes out with everything, brake pads, springs, lever, etc. You'll have to remove it to change the tire.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Is it a PITA, or does it all go together pretty easily?

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Very easy, the carrier and pads just slide out of the drum. When you reassemble it make sure that the fork goes into the slot in the brake shoe carrier, and that's about it.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome. I'm actually a little excited about learning a new trick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts