Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks I am fairly new to the board and have not posted before. My question is I am looking to buy my first street bike, I looked at a 93 750 nighthawk tonight. The bike has 15000 on it, a couple dents in the tank, the right side exhaust and mirror are scratched a bit. Other things I noticed was it needs a new rear tire looks like some one had a great time with some burnouts, and I could move the chain an inch and a half( not sure how much play is too much). When they started it it hesitated real bad, I know being carbed they have to warm up, but this seemed maybe a bit excessive, again my only real experience was on a 74 honda endura so I dont know much about this. How long should it take before something like this should warm up and smooth out? Any thoughts on this bike would be welcome, should I go for it or pass?

·
Registered
525 Posts
It should warm up within 2 or 3 minutes usually. If it's been sitting awhile, I'd bet the carbs are gummed up. Plan on having them removed, cleaned and synched. With 15,000 miles it could be that the rear tire has just been worn out in the middle by being ridden on straight roads mostly.
An inch and a half play in the chain is a little loose, but not too bad. I'd be more concerned with the condition of the chain. Was it clean and lubed, or rusty?
There are those here who will say that a 750 is too big for your first street bike. But I think that if you have a good bit of dirtbike experience, the nighthawk will be ok. I've ridden one and it's older, air cooled technology so it doesn't have a lot of power. It should be a decent beginners bike.
With the carb problem, worn rear tire, dents and scratches, I would hope that you are getting the bike pretty cheap. It is 12 years old after all. That's not to put it down, that makes it a good first bike...one that you won't have to cry if/when you drop it. Just making the point that you ought to be able to buy it cheap.
Good luck and let us know if you get it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I forgot to mention he is asking 2000 for the bike!!

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
That particular 750 makes less hp than my sv650, so I don't think that would be an issue.

The engines on those bikes are the same engines (for the most part) that Honda has been using since 1969 on their CB750. They are absolutely bulletproof. The bike itself is a descent bike, but I think I'd offer about $14 - 1500 for it....not $2k.

·
Registered
839 Posts
My first bike was a 82 Nighthawk 750. I had ridden sportbikes and cruisers and stuff but this was my first bike of my own. I liked it, and used it to put get some kms under my belt before I got my sportbike. Then I sold it for what I paid for it. Mine was in mint shape, very clean low kms and i paid and then sold for $1500.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
ive got and 82 650 night hawk for sale if anyones interested it runs great even keeps up with my friends r6 but it needs some tlc from age im only asking 500 so i can buy plastics for my cbr oh and its only got 18000 miles on it and never droped

1 - 6 of 6 Posts