Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
In, 2003 fifty two percent of fatally injured motorcycle riders where unhelmeted.

:mad:

40% of fatally injured riders tesed positive for alcohol

·
Registered
454 Posts
ReBorn said:
In, 2003 fifty two percent of fatally injured motorcycle riders where unhelmeted.

personally, I think those 2 stats are great news. Motorcycling doesn't look quite so dangerous as long as you wear a helmet and don't drink.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The largest 10-yr age group of rider fatalities is the 20-29 year olds.
I wonder if they ride cruisers or sportbikes........ :confused

·
Registered
648 Posts
ReBorn said:

sounds like it was nearly 50/50 for fatal crashes with or without a helmet. not much of a difference. i wonder what the mandatory helmet law people think about this. i'll still wear mine though.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Its does seem like if you wear a helmet, and don't drink and ride, and have a valid license your chances of survival are significantly increase. Thats good news. Now I just have 5.5 more years til I can edge up to the 30yo group my odds start looking pretty good. I'd also like to know the average years of riding experience associated with each death, and the type of bike riden.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Joe Average said:
sounds like it was nearly 50/50 for fatal crashes with or without a helmet. not much of a difference. i wonder what the mandatory helmet law people think about this. i'll still wear mine though.
no...that is not what it says, read it again and think about it. It DOES NOT say that you have a 50/50 chance of living if you crash with or without a helmet. It says if you die you have a 50/50 chance of wearing a helmet. !=

Edit: Basically it has nothing at all to do with how much helmets protect, as it doesnt account for how many people crash in each category and how many people live/die from each respectively. All it really shows is nothing usefully, just that if you end up dead somehow you have about a 50/50 chance of having a helmet on, doesnt matter if you lowsided at 10 mph and died because you werent wearing a helmet or died going 180 down the highway with a helmet.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
true dat.........

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ahhhh...statistics.

9 out of 10 experts agree that statistics are virtually useless.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Only people who die go into the
SO All those people who lives were saved by a helmet dont go into that category. So even though that statistic appears to say "oh there's a 50/50 chance I'll die if I'm not wearing a helmet" it really says if 100 helmeted riders have fatal crashes
NHTSA research shows that, in potentially fatal crashes, helmets have an overall effectiveness of 37 percent in preventing fatalities.
73 of them die ( think its less then that). But if 100 unhelmeted riders have fatal crashes 100 of them die.

Dont drink

The largest group of fatalities are 20-29... but 40+ accounts for 46% of fatal crashes. so that means that for 16-19 and 30-39 has only 7% of fatal crashes. (Ha ha! looks like I'll be good for another year until I turn 20)

The percentage of fatally injured riders of motorcycles with engine displacements of 1,001 to 1,500 cc has risen from about 28 percent in 1993 to about 38 percent in 2002.
Does that mean 1/3 of those riders die or 1/3 of those that die are those riders? Anyway... these are mostly cruiser displacements. There arent very many sportbikes over 1000cc. (Busa, ZX-12, blackbird, just one per manufacturer)

Anyway... thats my take!

·
Registered
522 Posts
interesting read...20-29 huh?...hopefully I won't be part of that stat (knock on wood)

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
That was actually pretty positive reinforcement.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts