Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
i ride sideways
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taken from nhra.com:

Top Fuel driver Darrell Russell was fatally injured June 27 as a result of a crash during race eliminations at an NHRA National Event at Gateway International Raceway.

Russell, 35, of Hockley, Texas, was competing in the second round of eliminations when his dragster went out of control and crashed just past the finish line. Russell was extracted from his dragster by NHRA emergency services officials and transported by air to the St. Louis Medical Center where he was later pronounced dead.

Russell, driver of the dragster owned by NHRA legend Joe Amato, was the event's top qualifier and was coming off a victory recently in Columbus, Ohio. During his four year career he had earned six victories in 17 final rounds. He posted a career-best fourth place points finish in 2003 and was currently fourth in the Top Fuel points standings.

NHRA deeply regrets that this tragic accident occurred and sends its thoughts and sentiments out to the Russell family and the Amato Racing team.

http://www.nhra.com/2004/news/june/062701.html#services

R.I.P.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
I bet they will start imposing restrictions on Top Fuel. They need to...to go the speeds they are going it will only be a matter of time. Unfortantely it will be some tragic accident like this that they'll do something. I know there is alot of restrictions on them now but they need to cut back more

·
i ride sideways
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^ that type explosion, although serious usually isnt deadly if the driver can get out of the cockpit in time. ive seen blowers pop off numerous times and the driver came out ok. badass pic though.

i saw a video of the wreck last night on wind tunnel... looked like Russell's car lost stability after the rear wing came off just after the traps, flipped on its side and snapped in half. all the bodywork was shattered and the car slid to a stop in a noxious collaboration of flames and nitromethane gasses. wasnt the most spectacular crash ive seen in top fuel, but we now know the consequences of the accident.

R.I.P. Darryll

·
Registered
519 Posts
yea russel died right at the finish line when his right rear tire exploded...it didnt eveen seem like that bad of a wreck, but i guess it was, and yes it was a top fuel car

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Same thing with Earnhardt....wreck didn't look that bad but was....

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
they were at least doing something they were really passionate about. I can only hope when my time comes, it is doing something I can't imagine living without.

I used to watch drags, I always thought they were interesting and little bit more than dangerous. But, I thought those guys had balls of steel.

RIP :(

·
Banned
245 Posts
i saw the race live when earnhardt hit the wall. It looked like a typical wreck. And i think everyone assumed he was all right.

And what are the final conclusions to his death? Was it his seat belt failing?

·
Registered
78 Posts
very sad stuff... my brother was telling me that paramedics cant pronounce a guy dead so they have to work on them all the way to the hospital... is that true?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts