Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my previous bike history:
GSXR 600
R6 S
Stryker (1300cc Cruiser)
GSXR 750

Now that my 750 is totaled and as much as I want to stick with the supersport family, insurance will be hard to afford. (2 points will drop probably next year)
I understand Sport Touring bikes are cheap on insurance, but I'm worried I'll end up being disappointed with the bike after being used to the power and handling of the supersport class.

I don't know much about the sport touring bikes but I must get a badass bike or my inner badass will not be satisfied unless I become a hunter and start going on ghost hunts with Sam and Dean (Supernatural is the shiiit).

SO, my only 2 line ups so far:
Ducati Monster 1100 evo
Ducati Monster 795

Called insurance, The 2 will be $100 difference on premium. Considering that I have to go with a brand new bike, Saving $1000 on MSRP and $100 premium... Will be worth it if the 795 can live up to its name "Monster".
Will the Monsters perform to my needs? And any other bike suggestions??

And YES, I've thought about saving up for a used bike. I have no savings and would probably take an entire year to save up for something decent................... BAH it's the smart thing to do......... But I'd DIE not riding for that long!!!!!!!! What else am I gonna make use of my great credit score for? lol

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Naked bikes are pretty cheap to insure as well, my Tuono is $320/year for full coverage, my FZ1 was similar.

I've never ridden the Monsters so I can't comment on them, but the 1100 MSRPs for about $12000, so is that about your limit? $12000 can get you a lot of nice fun bikes, including the new Hypermotard which is supposed to be fantastic. With Triumph that can get you a Speed or Street Triple, I had the Street and absolutely loved it.

With Kawasaki you can get a Ninja 1000 or Z1000. You can also look for a slightly used Honda VFR1200, they still have a bunch that never sold and have been marked down a few G's. I rode it and liked everything except the riding position which was too sportbikeish for me.

All of these bikes should be cheaper to insure and will do everything a supersport can on the street, and will be more comfortable. I'm assuming you're not looking for a track bike which is the only place you'll really miss a supersport.

Reactions: akiraruns

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I like the Monster 1100 idea, i wouldn't go to the 795, that'd be a bit much of a power dropoff for you I'd think.

Run an insurance quote on an 848 Streetfighter too.
Otherwise, good Japanese options are the Z1000 and CB1000R (I really like the CB1000R)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Naked bikes are pretty cheap to insure as well, my Tuono is $320/year for full coverage, my FZ1 was similar.

I've never ridden the Monsters so I can't comment on them, but the 1100 MSRPs for about $12000, so is that about your limit? $12000 can get you a lot of nice fun bikes, including the new Hypermotard which is supposed to be fantastic. With Triumph that can get you a Speed or Street Triple, I had the Street and absolutely loved it.

With Kawasaki you can get a Ninja 1000 or Z1000. You can also look for a slightly used Honda VFR1200, they still have a bunch that never sold and have been marked down a few G's. I rode it and liked everything except the riding position which was too sportbikeish for me.

All of these bikes should be cheaper to insure and will do everything a supersport can on the street, and will be more comfortable. I'm assuming you're not looking for a track bike which is the only place you'll really miss a supersport.
Yeah about $1200 is my limit. Thanks for the selection!... is it bad that I'm not fond of any of those bikes just on looks?.... lol Street/Speed Triple used to look way way better on older models....

And YES, I love the track! I've only gone twice so far but I want to get into racing. I will need a track bike to get serious into that anyway so I'm not looking for this bike to be perfect for the track but certainly able to handle it. In the canyons, I kept up with my superbike buddies even on my big ass cruiser and smoked most when I got on the 750 so I think I can hang if the next bike is a bit slower.......

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the Monster 1100 idea, i wouldn't go to the 795, that'd be a bit much of a power dropoff for you I'd think.

Run an insurance quote on an 848 Streetfighter too.
Otherwise, good Japanese options are the Z1000 and CB1000R (I really like the CB1000R)
Good to know 795 will be too weak... A shop owner just told me that ALL Ducati's are considered sport touring and cheap on insurance, even the 1198 Panigale.. WHAAAT lol
If that's the case, might be worth it to save up for a while for a fat down payment on the Superbike 848 EVO.... Man if I had that bike, I'd be taking more pictures of it than riding it.

·
Registered
848 Posts
so why do you have to buy new? just curious... if anything, i'd get slightly used so if ya don't like it, you can always trade it.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Sounds like he wants new so he can finance it easier. I don't like financing bikes anymore, but if you have to finance, new is the way to go, interest rates on used cars/bikes suck, new ones end up being a lot less.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
)
Depends on the OP, if he was bashing the 750 into the rev limiter all the time the 795 might be too much of the step back. If it was a place he only visited occasionally then he'll probably find the smaller machine especially around town and on twisty roads a lot better and more useable.

Now if you are the kind of person that's easily amused by wheelies and stoppies, I wouldn't recommend this as you end up bashing it and breaking really expensive driveline parts. If you're not a Moto Guzzi Griso might be worth looking at.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Personally if you must own a Ducati I would skip the Monster line altogether. The modern Monsters really aren't that good looking with the half trellis frame, and compared to any other liter sized engine will feel under powered, low revving, and "agricultural" being air cooled. Also I really didn't think the 1100 Monster was a well put together motorcycle, I thought the 796 had a much better integrated package.

Sounds like you want something more along the lines of the 848 streetfighter, although the 1098 based street fighters are absurdly cheap on the used market.

Personally I'd head straight towards a CB1000R but you seem to have something against Japanese bikes.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
The modern Monsters really aren't that good looking with the half trellis frame, and compared to any other liter sized engine will feel under powered, low revving, and "agricultural" being air cooled. Also I really didn't think the 1100 Monster was a well put together motorcycle, I thought the 796 had a much better integrated package.

Personally I'd head straight towards a CB1000R but you seem to have something against Japanese bikes.
You've ridden the current monster? or making spec sheet judgements?

CB1000R blandness be thy name.

·
Registered
188 Posts
You've ridden the current monster? or making spec sheet judgements?

CB1000R blandness be thy name.
I rode them all. Ducati dealerships are awesome with test rides and I take advantage of them all the time. I encourage you all to do the same.

There is no comparison between the 848 Streetfighter and the Monster line. Once you are used to a fast revving, high revving liquid cooled sport derived engine, I'd say there are relatively few who would actually prefer going back a century to air cooled technology. There are a small but rabid fan base of those motors, but definitely try before you buy. The 848 Streetfighter felt like a much much much better motorcycle to me. Again, I also much prefered the Monster 796 to the 1100 b***** brother, because it just felt like a better motorcycle.

·
Registered
188 Posts
In that price range I would be looking at the Tuono or speed triple.
Fun fact, the Tuono is actually cheaper then the 848SF. Only reason it might be a non-starter is insurance but if you can swing it I'd definitely lean that direction as well.

Again, I'd also recommend at least trying a CB1000R. They tick all the boxes, hooligan machine, refined, low insurance, looks great with the single sided swing arm, and really cheaply available as left overs. Reports of them being snooze-fests have been greatly exaggerated.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Fun fact, the Tuono is actually cheaper then the 848SF. Only reason it might be a non-starter is insurance but if you can swing it I'd definitely lean that direction as well.

Again, I'd also recommend at least trying a CB1000R. They tick all the boxes, hooligan machine, refined, low insurance, looks great with the single sided swing arm, and really cheaply available as left overs. Reports of them being snooze-fests have been greatly exaggerated.
+1 they just dropped the price on the Tuono, I've put 226 miles on one and it was a great bike, definitely at the top of my list.

I have not ridden the CB1000R so I can't say but I would definitely give it a shot, along with the Z1000. I like the Z1000, it was at the top of my list until I rode the Speed and the Tuono.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Depends on the OP, if he was bashing the 750 into the rev limiter all the time the 795 might be too much of the step back. If it was a place he only visited occasionally then he'll probably find the smaller machine especially around town and on twisty roads a lot better and more useable.

Now if you are the kind of person that's easily amused by wheelies and stoppies, I wouldn't recommend this as you end up bashing it and breaking really expensive driveline parts. If you're not a Moto Guzzi Griso might be worth looking at.
It's true I was still new to the 750 and definitely not there yet as far as being able to grow into the bike's limits, not even close. Wish I had more time with the baby like I was able to grow into the 600. I am very amused by wheelies and stoppies but I don't do them all the time, just like being able to do them when it's time to show off. lol

Personally if you must own a Ducati I would skip the Monster line altogether. The modern Monsters really aren't that good looking with the half trellis frame, and compared to any other liter sized engine will feel under powered, low revving, and "agricultural" being air cooled. Also I really didn't think the 1100 Monster was a well put together motorcycle, I thought the 796 had a much better integrated package.

Sounds like you want something more along the lines of the 848 streetfighter, although the 1098 based street fighters are absurdly cheap on the used market.

I do need to see if I can go test ride some of these bikes, at least sit on them. I don't have anything against Jap bikes per say, but just the styles don't catch my eyes.

You know what? I think I'm going to look into financing a used bike. Interest rate will be high as sh*t but if monthly payments are low, I can pay extra and end up paying less in interest.
I can do general maintenance and most little things if any fix is needed on my own but does anyone know for a fact that Duc parts will cost way more or is it just the general speculation people have? My buddies tell me this but I know they've never owned a Duc and have never actually looked into buying any parts.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
It's true I was still new to the 750 and definitely not there yet as far as being able to grow into the bike's limits, not even close. Wish I had more time with the baby like I was able to grow into the 600. I am very amused by wheelies and stoppies but I don't do them all the time, just like being able to do them when it's time to show off. lol

I do need to see if I can go test ride some of these bikes, at least sit on them. I don't have anything against Jap bikes per say, but just the styles don't catch my eyes.

You know what? I think I'm going to look into financing a used bike. Interest rate will be high as sh*t but if monthly payments are low, I can pay extra and end up paying less in interest.
I can do general maintenance and most little things if any fix is needed on my own but does anyone know for a fact that Duc parts will cost way more or is it just the general speculation people have? My buddies tell me this but I know they've never owned a Duc and have never actually looked into buying any parts.
You would be suprised how many parts can be found cheaper by using the aprilia , KTM ,BMW cross referanced parts . Euro bikes do some of the sharing that jap bikes do .

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This. If you really can't stand the headlights swap for the old ones. These bikes are too fun. Cheap insurance and higher power to weight ratio than the speed triple

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Is it simple to swap the headlights on the street/speed triple? It looks like it would be... I'm afraid the street triple will not even let me keep up with my R6 boys(since they all get R6 lol).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts