Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately, I have been trying to decide what to do with my motorcycle situation for next year. Currently, I am riding a '98 zx9r and i have put on 12,000+ miles on it since the beginning of last season. I want to try something different. The 3 bikes that have come to mind are the 636, 2000+ gsxr 750, and the rc-51. I've been going back and forth on what to buy.

I like the 636 because of the light-weight design and i am a big fan of how the 600 class bikes i have ridden handle. I have also read that by going down one tooth on the front sprocket, it would be faster than the zx9r in most categories. I don't like the digital dashboard, however, but I'm sure once I'm out riding, that won't and shouldn't be a concern.

The 2000+ gsxr 750's appeal to me because they are said to be the best overall sportbikes by many magazines. I am looking for 2000+ model because this is when they were re-designed (correct me if I'm wrong). I doubt I could afford the 2004 model though. I don't like the fact that everyone and their mothers have one.

I really want an rc-51. This has been a possibility for quite sometime now. But recently I went to the Loudon Classic and watched the Thunder bikes race. The sound was unbelievable. Since then I have been almost set on getting one. IMO, all they need to be perfect is a cleaned-up tail section and a nice full exhaust system... and flushmount blinkers. I don't like what I found about replacement parts. I got bored the other day and decided to look up prices for new fairings. They were twice as much compared to my 9r. Not that I plan on crashing, but I'd like to know beforehand how much things would cost to fix things before i bought something... plus its got that digital dashboard.

There is also a possibility that i would keep the 9r and have 2 bikes in my stable. If I went this route, the 9r would be used for longer trips, 2-up riding and to learn the track... can't wad up my new bike just yet. If i go this route, I would have to finance the new bike which is something i really don't want to do.

I just wish dealerships would let a potential buyer test ride the bikes. All I have to go on are what I read in the magazines and over the internet. I think my decision would be a whole lot easier if I could ride these bikes.

If anyone can think of any more pro's and con's feel free to post up.

·
Registered
842 Posts
rc51 is nice. i rode a friends 636 around for a hile and that bike screams. they are totally different though and i cant really compare them but i think the fairings are pretty pricey on both :) pipes are a fortune for rc's too. i dont know about blinkers and crap i think that stuff cost the same no matter. and the dig dash, took a little getting used to but its really nice.

·
Sandbox hater!!
629 Posts
That is wide variety of bikes huh. Completely different. But since you are currently on a 900 I would recommend the RC51 ( I am kinda bias cause I have a V twin also) or the 750 and both of those would be comparable in speed to yours. I love the RC sound though.

·
Registered
304 Posts
You really couldn't have picked a few bikes that are so different. The 636 and the GSXR aren't that different, but those bikes next to an RC51? An ocean of differences. As far as deciding between the two inlines, that would be a piece of cake. The 750 has more power, but it's not necessary, IMO. The GSXR also looks like 70% (at least in my experience) of the sportbikes out there. All the GSXR models look alike, and the GSXR is everywhere. The 636 seems to be more rare, and it speaks to me more, personally. Of course, you know which speaks to me the most. I own an RC51. The RC is NOT for everyone. It's heavy and steers that way in many situations. If you're a small guy, and used to tiny bikes, you might not like it. I'm of the opinion that if you go look at an RC and you're still considering the other two options...go with one of the other options. If you don't fall in love with it at first sight, you'd probably be better off with another bike, and in this case, I'd recommend the 636.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
RC51 all the way......

·
Registered
765 Posts
Whichever appeals the most to YOU.

If you are expecting to crash it and need new parts - Kwaks and Zuks offer the cheapest parts (price and build), while Honda and Yamies cost a bit more (Honda being the most expensive of all). Stuntaz seem to favor Zuks as well, so there are tons of parts on eGay. ;)

*no flaming necessary, as I dont actually believe ANY of the BIG 4 are a POS*

·
Registered
457 Posts
Personally i would go with the GSX-R 1000.. though thats now one of your choices.. I am not really into twins mainly because i never rode one before. Throw an 180 tire on the back of that Gixxer 1k and it will handle just as good as that 636.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
freeride said:
You really couldn't have picked a few bikes that are so different. The 636 and the GSXR aren't that different, but those bikes next to an RC51? An ocean of differences. As far as deciding between the two inlines, that would be a piece of cake. The 750 has more power, but it's not necessary, IMO. The GSXR also looks like 70% (at least in my experience) of the sportbikes out there. All the GSXR models look alike, and the GSXR is everywhere. The 636 seems to be more rare, and it speaks to me more, personally. Of course, you know which speaks to me the most. I own an RC51. The RC is NOT for everyone. It's heavy and steers that way in many situations. If you're a small guy, and used to tiny bikes, you might not like it. I'm of the opinion that if you go look at an RC and you're still considering the other two options...go with one of the other options. If you don't fall in love with it at first sight, you'd probably be better off with another bike, and in this case, I'd recommend the 636.
The rc51 is my first choice. I guess I am trying to talk myself out of getting one instead of trying to talk myself into getting one. The reasoning is because they are so hard to find and rather expensive. I might be wasting my time trying to find a prime example to spend my money on.

I don't think the heavy steering would be a problem, but then again I really need to ride one. I consider myself to have good upper body strength so that shouldn't be a problem, plus i'm 5'11'' 215lbs.

If anyone knows where I can ride an rc51 in Mass, let me know.

p.s.
Is the rc51 fuel injected or carbed?

·
Registered
304 Posts
bpmull said:
p.s.
Is the rc51 fuel injected or carbed?
Fuel Injected. And, take this with a grain of salt, but if you don't even know enough about the RC to know that...how do you know you want one?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
freeride said:
Fuel Injected. And, take this with a grain of salt, but if you don't even know enough about the RC to know that...how do you know you want one?
That was the only thing I was unsure of. It had just slipped my mind to even bother trying to find out. Seconds after I posted that I noticed one for sale with a power commander and that gave it away.

I want one because I want to try something different. Seeing that a V-twin is so much different than an I-4, I wanted to see what they were about. I try not to whine my 9r out when I ride so I figure if I'm always fairly low in the RPM range, why not get a bike that is more comfortable down-low? The sound is also very attractive to me. I've ridden my dad's harley so I am somewhat familiar with a v-twin powerband as well.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts