1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mg

Police set up traps for speeding sport bikes
Wednesday, June 29, 2005

LEBANON - The rider twisted the throttle on his Honda racing motorcycle and whizzed up Route 72 at 82 mph toward Jonestown last week.

As he sped past the state police barracks, the rider popped a wheelie. He rode on one wheel for the distance of about two football fields while passing a car.

Troopers were waiting to catch him and the growing number of sport bike riders who have been speeding and taunting police by doing stunts near the barracks.

Cpl. Patrick Mannion charged Jacob D. Sattazahn, 18, of Pine Grove, with speeding and reckless driving.

He said riders such as Sattazahn pull wheelies in front of the barracks for the thrill.

Mannion said police are receiving an increasing number of complaints about the dangerous driving habits of "crotch rocket" riders.

"What we've seen is that it's a trend. It's happening all over the place, not just in front of our barracks," Mannion said this week. "And, being summertime, we expect to have a lot more complaints."

That's why state police are planning a summer loaded with speed traps aimed at sport bike riders. It's one of the few ways to catch the racing bikes, which can reach speeds of 200 mph in a matter of seconds.

"Sports bikes are known for fleeing police," Mannion said. "A trooper just had two motorcycles race past him at 147 mph on I-78, and he couldn't catch them. We set up a detail four exits up, but they must have gotten off somewhere in between."

Speeding is partly blamed for the death of a 50-year-old Pine Grove man who crashed his sport bike in South Annville Twp. on June 14. Police say Warren P. Landes had a blood-alcohol level above legal limits at the time of the accident.

Landes was driving at least 100 mph as he passed traffic in a no-passing zone between Louser Road and Meadow Lane, and he lost control of the motorcycle, Mannion said. Landes slid about 500 feet before he was struck by a car. The motorcycle slid about 800 feet before hitting a guardrail, the trooper added.

Sattazahn, meanwhile, could be fined $400 and have his driver's license suspended for six months. Mannion said Sattazahn, who could not be reached for comment yesterday, has pleaded guilty to the citations.

"He apologized," Mannion said. "He told me he did it in the safest place he knew. It's nice and smooth out there."

·
Registered
138 Posts
Whats the problem? I highyl doubt they're going to go after sport bikes doing 8-10 mph over. If your stupid enough to roll a wheelie past SP troop then you need to be pulled over.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Mattz said:
Whats the problem? I highyl doubt they're going to go after sport bikes doing 8-10 mph over. If your stupid enough to roll a wheelie past SP troop then you need to be pulled over.
+1

This whole paranoid attitude thing a lot of sport bikers (and especially squids) have is rediculous. Ride responsibly and the cops will leave you alone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If they're going to stereotype like this, they need to step up the DUI patrols outside of all the (harley) biker bars around here...

I'm not in the defense of people stunting on the street, but these kind of articles only intensify the disdain others have for people riding sportbikes.

·
Registered
243 Posts
LDPosse said:
If they're going to stereotype like this, they need to step up the DUI patrols outside of all the (harley) biker bars around here...
That's one thing most ofthe people I know who ride are really good about. When we go to bike night, it's always the Harley guys who are in drinking. The sportbike guys stay out usually.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
LDPosse said:
I'm not in the defense of people stunting on the street, but these kind of articles only intensify the disdain others have for people riding sportbikes.
maybe the "hatred" is warranted?

·
Registered
912 Posts
RACER X said:
maybe the "hatred" is warranted?
I'd say it probably is... Even someone riding 'safe' on a sport bike is going to be more aggressive on the road than 95% of the drivers on the road. This frightens people, and the 'hatred' is a natural reaction...

I get a thrill every time someone asks me, "Why do you all have to ride like assholes?" My typical response is, "You think I ride like an asshole, you should see me drive!"

·
Registered
528 Posts
The more that run from the cops the worse its going to get. Damnit...stop running before you screw it up for everyone :bitchslap

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Speaking in general, if a cop was looking to clock speeding bikes and he saw a car going 100 in a 25, he would still pull him over. I can understand the stereotype that bikes go fast and the frustration for that, but considering he/she still had to abide by state laws if you're not speeding you have nothing to worry about.
As for running for the cops, it'd be better for us all that when you snap the throttle to try to get away, you fall and slide for about 500 feet.

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
LDPosse said:
Landes was driving at least 100 mph as he passed traffic in a no-passing zone between Louser Road and Meadow Lane...

"He apologized," Mannion (police officer) said. "He told me he did it in the safest place he knew. It's nice and smooth out there."
ha ha ha, i hear that! :lol :beer

·
Registered
496 Posts
TemtnF8 said:
+1

This whole paranoid attitude thing a lot of sport bikers (and especially squids) have is rediculous. Ride responsibly and the cops will leave you alone.

+1 It's retards like that who give riders that are out there to ride, a bad name simply because of the type of bike we ride.

·
www.getrenegade.com
917 Posts
It's a crummy stereotype but somewhat justifiable unfortunately. It's a bad combination of riders acting stupid and people who don't ride seeing someone take off from a light or make a quick lane change and think they're riding recklessly. It is and always will be an endless battle. :rolleyes

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
LDPosse said:

I am also not defending stunting on public roads...or excessive speeding..

BUT.. I have a bar down the street from me.. Harley bar.. Doesnt matter what night it is, there are 30 Harleys out front till closing time.. They haul ass out of the parking lot, AFTER stumbing out of the bar.. I mean full on stumble, trip, cant walk a straight line.. And they ride home... down the street about a mile the other way, cops sit across the parking lot from a Hooters, and eyeball every single sportbike leaving from there. Meanwhile, there are Harleys, drunk, speeding, swerving, right past the cops, and they dont even look...

·
Registered
39 Posts
TemtnF8 said:
+1

sorry dude,unless you've lived in lebanon,PA, you have no clue what you're talkin about. and judging by what you said,you've never been there. the cops are complete assholes there. if you have a "crotch rocket", or any sports car they cant afford,even a honda with a "fartpipe", they will target you,nail you for 2mph over posted, pull you over just to search you,against you will,with no reasnable cause,and that type of crap,EVERY chance they get. i lost my license once for Racing on Highways...what happend,was my Tranny was slpipping, (500 HP + 173,000 miles on tranny= bad stuff) i was like wtf?!/ and then it [email protected] almost5K rpms...10 ft. burnout,stopped it, and limped/pushed it down the road...to my house,one block down....cop said he "saw it all" i was "displayng power and or endurance, and get this,to top it of,he said i tried to "evade and elude" him.. pushing my car down the street... all this is why i no longer live in PA....bTW,i'm not say that dude didn't deserve his ticket and all...he did. just sayin,that they will,no matter how safe,calm and legaly you are riding,they will do everything they can to ruin your day.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
state troopers have been after us for awhile... :lao

Police Looking for Witnesses to Cycle Stunts

State police are asking anyone who saw several motorcyclists doing stunts along I-279 last night to call them at 412/787-2000

May 2, 2005 12:18 pm US/Eastern
Moon Twp (KDKA) State police are looking for anyone who witnessed some dangerous motorcycle stunts over the weekend along Interstate 279.

According to officials, four people driving motorcycles were doing wheelies and other stunts on the highway all the way from downtown Pittsburgh to Cranberry just before 7pm last night -- while a person riding in a car alongside them videotaped them.

Officials impounded the motorcycles and cited all four bikers -- as well as the driver and passenger in the car; but police want to hear from anyone who saw the stunts.

Witnesses are asked to call state police at 412/787-2000.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I find it hard to believe all of your allegations. First I'm a cop in PA not a trooper, but you are not allowed to pull over anyone and cite them till they get to 5 over the limit. Second PA gives its citizens more rights than any other state. Even if you are arrested while in your car, a PA Trooper or Police Officer can not legally search your car. The US Supreme court says you can, but the PA Supreme court says no way. Every other state has the right to search.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts