Sport Bikes banner

1001 - 1020 of 1026 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,002
A few things due to poor maintenance from the first owner i guess... fork seals, front tire, coolant reservoir, brake pads and sprockets all need replacement. Also spark plugs and general fluid replacement.
How in the world is that $2000 worth of repairs?

*Fork seals are cheap, less than $30 for a fork seal kit from allballsracing.com. 56-150 All Balls Racing

*Front tire less than $150. Don't buy it at the stealership you will get rapped on the price. Don't get another 120/65R17 go with a 120/70R17 if the bike still has the stock Dunlop D207's which are crap anyways. The 70 will cause the bike to have a faster turn in. FYI you should change tires in sets if you can. How's the rear looking?

*If the coolant reservior needs replacing, not sure you didn't say what was wrong with it. You can get a new one from ronayers.com for $34.13 plus shipping. That's an easy fix. Or search ebay for a used one.

*Brake pads can be had for $20 for all three set or $100 or more for all three set. I run Galfer rotors and pads, I usually pick them up off ebay for less than $100 for all three sets.

*Sprockets should be changed in sets too. Along with a new chain. I picked up a SuperSprox front and rear sprocket set, and a RK x-ring gold chain, with free shipping, free t-shirt, and lifetime warranty rear sprocket replacement with Supersprox for $215.95 off ebay. It was a 520 conversion which is lighter than the OEM 525 pitch chain and sprockets. I picked up a chain breaker/riveter kit off ebay for $47.

*Sparkplugs, go with the NGK Iriduims, I pick these up for $32.95 off ebay with free shipping. There is a "how to" located in the stickies that rayzzr put together with pics and step by step instructions on how to do this. 4 PACK NGK Spark Plugs For Kawasaki ZZR600 05-06 | eBay

*General fliuds, Oil and filter, Brake fluid, and Coolant.

*Oil and filter, even if you started on the high side, oil and filter change will run you less than $60. When I say high side that's using a K&N KN-303 oil filter which runs about $15.99+- and Mobil 1 4T Racing 10W40 Full synthetic motorcycle oil which can run about $10 per quart. I normally pick it up at Walmart for $9.87 per quart. This year Advanced Auto parts ran a spring special and I picked up for $7.99 per quart. You only need four quarts of oil. Never overfill the oil it may cause problems.

*Brake fluid is cheap and bleeding your brakes is easy. I do it by myself.

*Coolant change is easy and coolant doesn't cost that much.

Please tell me you have intentions of doing the most of the work yourself and you are not going to give the stealership $2000 to fix the bike, that's like getting rapped and not even getting kissed. Out of everything listed the only thing I didn't do myself last winter was the fork seals. I sent the forks off and had them professionally rebuilt. But that was everything not just the seals.

Not sure how you are coming up with $2000. But buying the needed parts and fluids yourself along with the help of this forum you will save alot of money. Other benefits, you will learn about the bike you purchased. I have a list of mods a mile long and they were all done by me. There is also a free PDF.file service manual located in the stickies of the ZZR mods forum. Hope this helps. Jay

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks ZZRrocket, I figured that out. The dealership I was at was gonna charge 1000 for labor alone, so I took my bike and my money to another shop that charges half the price. Also I added you to friends, if you don't mind, in case I have any questions about my bike in the future. You seem to know what you're talking about. Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey, been using the recources, and enjoying this forum for about a year now, finally joined up!! Its been very helpful! Just painted/pc the bike, R and G sliders/ber ends, levers, filters carbs, etc.. I commute most days on the bike, love riding it! Have taken a few road trips so far. Im also looking for a used/straight front rim, dented.. heres the bike

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,006
Hey, been using the recources, and enjoying this forum for about a year now, finally joined up!! Its been very helpful! Just painted/pc the bike, R and G sliders/ber ends, levers, filters carbs, etc.. I commute most days on the bike, love riding it! Have taken a few road trips so far. Im also looking for a used/straight front rim, dented.. heres the bike

Welcome SBN! Nice looking bike:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you, zzrocket, appreciate that. It was the candy plasma blue.. I liked it but prefer white and black for some reason. I saw a dude in another forum with this scheme, went with it for the most part, but added more gold. I also want to pc the rims, black or gold cant quite decide yet, lol.. Its been a fun project..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thank you, zzrocket, appreciate that. It was the candy plasma blue.. I liked it but prefer white and black for some reason. I saw a dude in another forum with this scheme, went with it for the most part, but added more gold. I also want to pc the rims, black or gold cant quite decide yet, lol.. Its been a fun project..
Looks great in white! :agree FWIW I vote for gold rims

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sorry, just realized this is the wrong place to put my post... :/
Still trying to get the new forum down..

New guy here from texas. Names Erik, got a 2000 katana 600 about a year ago fun to ride but seems like a pain to get these in line 4's to sync up correctly. Learned ALOT about these carbs in the year or so I've had it... Hoping after new oil, gas and carb sync i will be back on the road next week. Adjusted valves and replaced a bunch of rubbers in hopes of fixing random vac leaks.. Hope to find some more tex folk to ride with. Pretty new to the sport bike scene so im not real efficient at the knee dragging on the twisties just yet but love to ride. heres a pic of Little Bear on the "spiderman" bike. :p
(garage is much cleaner and organized now btw..) :) ImageUploadedByMO Free1342700811.082634.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,010
Sorry, just realized this is the wrong place to put my post... :/
Still trying to get the new forum down..

New guy here from texas. Names Erik, got a 2000 katana 600 about a year ago fun to ride but seems like a pain to get these in line 4's to sync up correctly. Learned ALOT about these carbs in the year or so I've had it... Hoping after new oil, gas and carb sync i will be back on the road next week. Adjusted valves and replaced a bunch of rubbers in hopes of fixing random vac leaks.. Hope to find some more tex folk to ride with. Pretty new to the sport bike scene so im not real efficient at the knee dragging on the twisties just yet but love to ride. heres a pic of Little Bear on the "spiderman" bike. :p
(garage is much cleaner and organized now btw..) :) View attachment 209598

Wrong sub forum, but welcome to SBN anyway!:)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks. Noticed later on the ZZR... Smh..
You got to have at least one goober on here! Hehe

·
Registered
1 Posts
new here

hey guys. my names david and i am new to the forums. i bought an 07 zzr 600 this time last year. i enjoy riding and always have. was a cruiser man for the longest time until i bought the zzr from a friend. Bad news struck the second week in July this year when my bike was stolen from my home. it was recovered three weeks later. They thieves busted all my locks and tore my fairings and turn signals pretty good. trying to get it back on the road but cash is tight atm. so if anyone knows any places online or in the carolinas to get reasonably prices parts let me know...thanks

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,013
hey guys. my names david and i am new to the forums. i bought an 07 zzr 600 this time last year. i enjoy riding and always have. was a cruiser man for the longest time until i bought the zzr from a friend. Bad news struck the second week in July this year when my bike was stolen from my home. it was recovered three weeks later. They thieves busted all my locks and tore my fairings and turn signals pretty good. trying to get it back on the road but cash is tight atm. so if anyone knows any places online or in the carolinas to get reasonably prices parts let me know...thanks
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the zzr theft. Glad the bike was recovered. You said cash was tight? It shouldn't be. Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldnt the bike insurance or your home owners insurance cover the bike repairs?

Edit: Looks like home owners insurance will not cover the cost of the bike damage. But if you have full coverage bike insurance like I do it should cover the damage costs. I even have a $4000 aftermarket parts policy. Best of luck, hope you had insurance, thats what its for. You didn't do anything wrong, thats why you pay for it. Right?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Putting insurance aside, Your best bet is to find parts using 98-02 zx6r as a reference as the parts are mostly interchangeable. Bikebandit has good pricing and user friendly interface. Ebay is also a good alternative, best of luck to you and feel free to inquire about repair specific questions here.

P.S. I have also had my share of troubles, no theft... but vandalizing and the unfortunate persons who mistook my bike as a speed bump in a parking lot LOL. Shit happens

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey

Hey my name is david from Minnesota. I have owned cruisers since I was 16 and just sold my virago 1100. A guy offered to trade me my boat for his 2007 zzr with 3000 miles on it so I did it. No my only question is where do I find passenger handles for less then 100 bucks for the pair?! My local shop told me it would cost 180$ for both of them.

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,016
Hey my name is david from Minnesota. I have owned cruisers since I was 16 and just sold my virago 1100. A guy offered to trade me my boat for his 2007 zzr with 3000 miles on it so I did it. No my only question is where do I find passenger handles for less then 100 bucks for the pair?! My local shop told me it would cost 180$ for both of them.
Try eBay. I saw a set for $20 they are in Cape Coral, Fla.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi guys ma names craig im a motorcycle engineer i had a 1992 zzr400 quite pokey but thrashed it to death so i checked it out the zzr600 engine fits in the frame same mounting brackets so i got maself a 1997 zzr600 e5 engine and walst it was sat on the bench i port and polished the head cleand the valve seats ext had a fiddle with the carbs and rased the needles by 2 mill and put 145 jets in left the standard zzr400 airbox on but removed the lower casein for more air flow new plugs oil coolant ect. but plugged in the zx636 cdi and modifyed a zx6r sports exhaust to fit the engine had to re wield the downpipes into possition got it fired up 3 days ago carbs now balanced had to advance the ignition by 3deg to get it to run properly dyno run tommorow

·
Experienced Novice rider.
16 Posts
New, old member

Hello everyone- ive been a member of SBN for a while but never really participate in any discussions. Showing some Sport Bike Love from Orlando FL.
Stopped in now and again to read and research. Trying to change that as of now.
Hope to participate much more now.

Thanks guys

Aziem

·
Registered
1 Posts
New Rider - New Bike Owner

Hello all,

Lee here in Jersey City, NJ
Just purchased a 2006 ZZR600
Rode all weekend. Love the bike.

Anyone know where I can get an owner's manual?
Maybe this has already been answered, perhaps someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,020
Hello all,

Lee here in Jersey City, NJ
Just purchased a 2006 ZZR600
Rode all weekend. Love the bike.

Anyone know where I can get an owner's manual?
Maybe this has already been answered, perhaps someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance for the help!

Welcome to SBN Lee!! Here's a link to a owners manual for a 2008 ZZR600. The 2005-2008 ZZR600 are all the same except for the different paint colors that were offered throughout the model years.

08 ZZR600 Kawasaki Owners Manual | eBay

1001 - 1020 of 1026 Posts