Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planing on selling my civic in the near future, looking for about 3500. My bank account is currently near empty, but I do have a job and am about to get a second one. I'm 17 and really want to get riding as soon as I can before any more summer days pass me by. Well, I have read some articals about what beginner bikes are suitable, and I will be getting most likely a 500 cc of some kind. I actually dont like the look of the ninjas very much, and besides a GS500, what other bikes would you guys reccomend?
As for gear, I'm looking for value/cheap gear to fit my current budget.
Helment, Gloves, mesh jacket are what I'm thinking so far. I'd rather not spend on boots or riding pants for now.
cycletrader.com is a good place to look for bikes I know of... What about gear?

Just an fyi, I'll be getting a car of some kind once I gat the cash to do so, hopefully before winter or a loan will be needed if all the money goes into the bike/gear. I would rather get more quality and long lasting gear and a bike and live with a loan then get cheapy shit.

Any advice and tips are appriciated.

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
At this point in MN you have what, about six weeks of real summer left and then you are into the fall. It will be getting cold soon after. If you buy a bike now you'll be paying top dollar, if you order gear on line you'll be waiting a week or so for delivery and then coping with wrong sizes etc. At this point, if you were my son, I'd advise you to wait.

By waiting you can save some money. You can do a little research and find the best gear for the money, you can also do a little more research and pick up a bike some guy doesn't want to store a little cheaper. It's a cool idea to think you can sell your car and get on the road right now, but you'll have time later too. I advise you think a little longer term.

As for bikes, look for an older used bike. I'd think about some of the 1980s bikes in the 550 range. In your area, since they are mostly ridden only in the summer, there might be some of those bikes left. GPZ550, V45 Interceptor, Nighthawk S, Fazer - you have lots of choices. Any one of them would be a great bike to start on.

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
wait till after winter....

·
Registered
600 Posts
Waiting until after winter isn't at all a bad idea.

But we've got plenty of riding weather left. As long as you have a good jacket and gloves, you can ride well into November, providing it's not snowing yet. Last year, I could ride up until about the first week in November. The rain actually is more of a pest than the cold... the worst part, though, is you can't ride much until about April, when they finally have the streets clear of all that goddam salt and sand they overload into the streets so the brainless pansies that drive here don't slide off the road during the snowy months.

If you wait until about October or November, you might be able to snag a good year-end deal on a bike, maybe a little earlier for gear. The Burnsville (?) Moto Primo is supposedly clearing all of their gear out since they're moving it to another store - you might want to have a look there first...

·
Registered
447 Posts
I got the Teknic Lighting jacket from www.newenough.com and also their Tour Master Robo-Max gloves. They are in the closeout section and are good quality gear at a reasonable price. I got a new KBC VR-1 on ebay for $80 bucks.

Crash tested the gloves and helmet. Also got a 2 pc AGV suit at www.motorcyclesuperstore.com for $300. Good suit for the price.

If you got time, goto a store and try stuff on and write down their style and sizes, then hit the internet to get a good deal. Or find cheap prices online and see if a local store will do a price match.

As far as riding, take a training course first. It'll help a lot when you begin riding.

Even if you do get a bike, remember that you may need to invest more money into maitenance and upkeep. You may need to spend a a few hundred for new tires, sproket, and chain just to make it safe to ride. Then theres carb cleaning, valve adjustments etc.

If you really want to get into riding for the long run, do it right. MSF man.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Chronicdrummer9 said:
Not to highjack thread, but a quick question not worthy of a new thread, whats naked mean when it comes to bikes?
Means no/less fairings.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, currently my plan is to get a loan from a friend to get a bike (I am thinking sv650 right now, but really dont know for sure, about to research more), then put up my civic for sale which im sure will go real quick. Then I will pay him back when it sells. Then of course get all the gear and such. I'll let you know what happens and what bike I decided on.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
mnbv said:
As for gear, I'm looking for value/cheap gear to fit my current budget.
Helment, Gloves, mesh jacket are what I'm thinking so far. I'd rather not spend on boots or riding pants for now.
Any advice and tips are appriciated.
Well, everyone else hit on the advice you were looking for, but no one has touched this comment yet. I suggest you take a belt sander and sand the skin off of one of your forearms. Then take it and sand off a nice patch on one of your thighs. Then you can answer this question: Does road rash hurt LESS on the lower half of your body than it does on the upper?

When you are done with that little assignment, check back in with me because I'm going to need you to break a couple of bones.

If you haven't caught my point yet, it's this: Is the lower half of your body less important to you than the upper? You might want to reconsider your rational for what gear you want/need right now and what you don't.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have one more question before I can go sell/buy. I am under 18 as you know, the title of my car is in my mom's name. Can I even sell it? If I can, can I buy the bike once I do that?

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
In Washington state you have to be 18 to register a vehicle.

Your car is in your mom's name so it is legally hers. You couldn't sell it without her signing off on the deal no matter how old you were.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
shitty... well it looks like ill have to wait until next spring for a bike. Its probably a good idea anyway though, Im just so damn impatient, as the sig shows.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
I'd wait a year and gain some road experience on four wheels first. Whatever though, right? It's your life not mine. Welcome to SBN! :twofinger

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've been driving for awhile... got my permit and licence as soon as I could. About 2 years total. So now I get to wait for 8 months or so to work and get money to ride. I want to learn a bunch before I get riding (as I am forced to), any places to read instead of just browsing the forums? thanks!

·
Banned
2,680 Posts
mikem317 said:
I'd wait a year and gain some road experience on four wheels first. Whatever though, right? It's your life not mine. Welcome to SBN! :twofinger
Damn ur cynical.

·
Registered
36 Posts
mnbv said:
I've been driving for awhile... got my permit and licence as soon as I could. About 2 years total. So now I get to wait for 8 months or so to work and get money to ride. I want to learn a bunch before I get riding (as I am forced to), any places to read instead of just browsing the forums? thanks!
Dude, I also got my permit and license as soon as possible and have been driving for 4 years now. 2 years may be enough time for your own driving skills, but the thing is, in 2 years i still don't think you've encountered enough close calls with other stupid drivers on the road. No matter how good of a driver you are, each extra year of driving is another year of experiencing what kind of stupid things drivers can do on the road and how to handle them. I think that'll help when you're on a motorcycle.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts