Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...
I've just got my bike licence and am looking for some advice on which bike would be best suited for someone with some riding experience (dirtbikes,ATV's and Snowmobiles) but no street riding experience. Now I'm not a big fellow, 5'7" tall and around 155lbs... after a large meal... so I'm definately out of the running when it comes to the big boys. During my MSF we were using 250cc bikes, which were a blast to ride I must say. So other then a 1993 Ninja 250 I am currently looking at a 1994 Kawasaki ZX6, this I was told would not be a 'bad' beginner's bike and a 1996 Ninja ZX6R, a friend had one in University and I was in love with it... the bike that is.
Thanks in advance for any help.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
what constitutes "some" experience?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I had a 95 Ninja ZX6-R, now that is after riding a Ninja 250 for a year at least.

However, I rode ysr 50's for a while before jumping onto a CBR F2 (600) and I had a major crash (enough to scare me off riding for 2 1/2 years). So i restarted on a ninja 250.

I have nearly 12 years of riding experience, and at the time of my crash, i had 6 under my belt. And I still felt that I needed to start small (250) when i got the urge to try again.

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
It depends on a lot of things. From Maturity and Awareness, to Reaction Time and Learning Rate. I would not suggest starting on anything more than a 600, and if it's a 600, let it be an early '90s model ('90-'94). I started on a '91 Honda CBR 600 and learned a lot from it. Enough to make a transition from that to an '04 GSX-R 1000. Definitely not recommended, but I was doing great in the twisties and was accident free for 2,000 miles until someone got jealous and stole her from me. So I stepped down from that to a '99 ZX9R, which is still a huge jump from old 6 to new 9.

I would not recommend this jump to anyone. I know the danger envolved yet I still take that chance because I felt I was ready for it. That's just me and maybe a select few others. Next year I may try and pick up an older 600 or 750 and save up some money to get on a track. I love riding the twisties and I think I'd fair pretty well on a track. I just want to see how well. :D

·
Registered
681 Posts
Forget the 600 ss bikes and go with the 250.....you'll be better off in the long run.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RACER X said:
what constitutes "some" experience?
I've been riding dirtbikes, ATV's and snowmobiles since I was 14 so at 26 I have 12years of dirtbiking under my belt... Although street riding is a TOTALLY different animal, I'm fairly certain my ability to learn how to ride on the road would be a lot faster then someone with no riding experience at all. That plus my level of maturity... I'm no longer a wreckless teen/early 20's kid anymore... so I know I wouldn't try anything stupid on a 600cc Sportsbike. I just get the feeling from reading some of the posts in here they are not so forgiving when it comes to rookie mistakes... and I'm not one to take short cuts when, inevitably, it is my arse on the line.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
SV650 at most. but your ins. co. may tell you what kinda bike you want..........call them ask

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually my Insurance was the biggest suprise... I got a quote from my insurance company at the start of the summer on a 2001 Honda CBR600F4 with a beginners bike licence and full coverage... is everyone sitting down?... $ 1 575 a year, or 131.25 a month... and that's Canadian dollars. Granted that is about 50bucks more a month then my car insurance... but much more reasonable then what my Girlfriend's brother pays in England.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ofcourse to make that rate a lot lower... and to keep them from climbing... I think I'll stick with the little, yet super fun, Ninja 250.

·
Registered
813 Posts
$1575 a year?!?!?! I pay $280 for full coverage per year!

Anyway - get an older 600.. 1990-1995 .. or SV650.. or Ninja 500..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Crap... I thought I was getting a kick butt deal, 1575 is half of what most of the rider's I know pay... Insurance up here in Canada is approaching the UK for ridiculous factor. Are you getting your's through a Motorcycle Club?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Go with a 500 at most. You'll have a blast, gain valuable cycling experience, and potentially not kill yourself.

·
Registered
681 Posts
CanuckGuy_26 said:
Actually my Insurance was the biggest suprise... I got a quote from my insurance company at the start of the summer on a 2001 Honda CBR600F4 with a beginners bike licence and full coverage... is everyone sitting down?... $ 1 575 a year, or 131.25 a month... and that's Canadian dollars. Granted that is about 50bucks more a month then my car insurance... but much more reasonable then what my Girlfriend's brother pays in England.
Jeebus..that's nuts! get a quote for the 250.....I'd like to know what it comes in at.

·
Registered
216 Posts
CanuckGuy_26 said:
Crap... I thought I was getting a kick butt deal, 1575 is half of what most of the rider's I know pay... Insurance up here in Canada is approaching the UK for ridiculous factor. Are you getting your's through a Motorcycle Club?
Go check out state farm, they go by CC, I only pay 600 for my R6. Helps if you can bring all your vehicles over with them to get there preferred rate.

·
Registered
216 Posts
An ex500 is a great starter bike, very nimble and fun in the twisties. Plus they have cheap insurance you can pick one up used and sell it for the same price the next year when you upgrade :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts