Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:newbie

My brother just picked up a 97 CBR F3 600, and I am in love with it. I have decided now that I am going to get a bike in April or May, that way I can save up and buy it outright. Anyway. I am hoping to spend less than $6K because that will be my estimated budget. Here is what I need help on:

I am 5 foot 9 inches tall, 215 pounds. I am not really fat I just have a large build and am pretty muscular. I ride 4wheelers all the time and dirt bikes every so often (I know its a different world, but I will be able to grasp the concept quicker), but only rode my brothers cbr around a parking lot a few times. So that is the only street bike experiance that I have. Anyway, what should I be looking to get. I would love to get an R1, but doubt I could find one in my budget plus I think it might be too much bike. I am thinking of the F4i or 600RR, not really sure. Will I be able to manuver a 600 well or not, and will I look like an ogar on the bike?...Can I get some opinions on what I should be looking for?

Thanks
Fry

·
Registered
430 Posts
you are going to hear a broken record here, "take the MSF, Get a small bike to learn on" and I am going to be the first to say it, the old salty dogs here tell people to do this for a reason, they know, they took the lumps that come from not taking that advice, I say get something small, an R1 is too big, a 600RR is too big, my "little" 600 will do 0-60 in something like 3 seconds, which is faster than any human being has any right to go, I started on a 600 for my first street bike, after 2+ years of riding cruisers, and it is still too fast for me, go find a Ninja250, ninja500 or Katana, buy it used, it will be cheap, learn, spend a year on it, drop it a couple of times, get some seat time, and no, a couple months is not enough seat time. All in all, welcome to the site, and welcome to the most expensive habit you will ever have =)

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
As he said you'll hear it like a broken record, start small and learn. This is my first season and as a squid I went for an RR, bought a new 600RR and well to the least i'm not disappointed, but there's not a day that I dont have a moment of fear riding it. for a bike that does 0-100 in 7.8 seconds and tops out faster than most sport cars, I've indicated 160+, it's definately not a great choice. But unlike others I will say this. Find something your comfortable riding. If you get on a 250 and feel it's to small, more than likely you'll be an unhappy rider. Your fairly big for a 250 I think but people still call me squidly. Welcome to the site and have fun, keep the rubber down, and spirits up.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
SV650 at most. preferably an EX500 or GS500

·
old member
13,079 Posts
evils-03-RR said:
As he said you'll hear it like a broken record, start small and learn. This is my first season and as a squid I went for an RR, bought a new 600RR and well to the least i'm not disappointed, but there's not a day that I dont have a moment of fear riding it. for a bike that does 0-100 in 7.8 seconds and tops out faster than most sport cars, I've indicated 160+, it's definately not a great choice. snip..
This is exactly the point. If your bike is too much, you live in fear and don't learn riding skills as quickly. The fear-factor diminishes much more quickly on a 500 and then your skills really start to develop.

·
Registered
681 Posts
At 5-7 you'll fit just FINE on a ex250 and learn skills the proper way!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow, I never thought that people would recomend a 250 for me. I have sat on a 250 before, and I felt like I was riding one of those poket cycles. I fit really well on my brothers bike, and am very comfortable while riding. The thing that I 'do' understand is that you have to respect the bike. I mean how can you not respect something that only has 2 wheels and go 160+mph, along with the chance of a bone shattering accident. Its not like I am going to go out, ride the bike for a month and then go nuts. I have a buddy who got some suzuki 1000 (w/o fairings) and he had the thing like 2 weeks and dropped it taking a turn to fast...his tires suck and werent hot yet and his rear slid out. I understand how a car or bike can affect you. I have a 2002 z28 that runs 12's in the quarter, and I respect my car more than any other vehicle I have owned. I guess it comes down to how mature you are, and if you truly have the understanding that the bike can kill you, and you have to master it before you try anything stupid. BTW, I really only want the bike for cruiseing with my buddies. No crazy stunts or anything, maybe wheelies after like a year of driving, but thats it. Anyway, from riding my brothers I think that I can do pretty damned well with an F4i. Any more input is apprecited.

Fry

·
old member
13,079 Posts
frey51 said:
wow, I never thought that people would recomend a 250 for me. I have sat on a 250 before, and I felt like I was riding one of those poket cycles. I fit really well on my brothers bike, and am very comfortable while riding. The thing that I 'do' understand is that you have to respect the bike. I mean how can you not respect something that only has 2 wheels and go 160+mph, along with the chance of a bone shattering accident. Its not like I am going to go out, ride the bike for a month and then go nuts. I have a buddy who got some suzuki 1000 (w/o fairings) and he had the thing like 2 weeks and dropped it taking a turn to fast...his tires suck and werent hot yet and his rear slid out. I understand how a car or bike can affect you. I have a 2002 z28 that runs 12's in the quarter, and I respect my car more than any other vehicle I have owned. I guess it comes down to how mature you are, and if you truly have the understanding that the bike can kill you, and you have to master it before you try anything stupid. BTW, I really only want the bike for cruiseing with my buddies. No crazy stunts or anything, maybe wheelies after like a year of driving, but thats it. Anyway, from riding my brothers I think that I can do pretty damned well with an F4i. Any more input is apprecited.

Fry
OK, I'll say it this time. You are n00b number 8,583 to say "I'll respect the bike". That's not the point. When you get spastic and the bike throws you on the ground or worse, you'll understand that riding takes learned skills. A 500 would be a much easier bike on which to learn those skills. A 600ss (F4i, R6, etc.) puts too much hp to the rear wheel and has too twitchy brakes when you grab a fistfull of either gas or brake by accident or because of a bump in the road. /rant

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Jesus H. If you look at my first post. I have been riding four wheelers and dirt bikes for years now. I completly understand the shifting configuration, braking aspects, and relative manuving capabilities. I am a newbie but not a complete noob. And having respect for the bike isnt the only thing. I know that riding is a learned skill, for godsake so is driving. So is drag racing, and I do that all the time at the track (verry successfully I might add). Just because you say I dont know what the hell I am talking about dosnt mean that I have no idea how to control the bike and how to ride successfully. Have you ever rode a CRF250? well they are not in anyway comparable to balance and control of an F4i, but the concept is the same. I know how to handle a bike, and how to manuver around obsticles, how to brake, etc. Hell I even know how coutersteering works, and I did it while riding my brothers bike the otherday. And that even came completely natural to me, if I didnt know what it was I wouldnt have known I was doing it. I may be a newbie to sport bikes, but not a newbie to the concepts of riding a bike.

Not trying to cause a flame war or anything. I know that this question has been asked mulittudes of times, but I cannot fing a post where the newbie had any prior experiance on a any kind of bike.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think what they're trying to say bro, and ill do it as non flaming as I can, is that a sportbike is a whole different animal. You twist that throttle and hit a bump at the same time and you are really gonna put on some speed fast. Your stomach does that "HOLY SHIT" tightening thing and the pucker facter flies through the roof. Your instinct is to grab that brake to stop ya, and you GRAB it. All happens in 2 seconds. I don't wanna flame you on your choice, I just say be careful. Also, i'd get F4i instead of 600rr unless you plan on some track time. But thats me

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You twist that throttle and hit a bump at the same time and you are really gonna put on some speed fast. Your stomach does that "HOLY SHIT" tightening thing and the pucker facter flies through the roof. Your instinct is to grab that brake to stop ya, and you GRAB it.
Arma: I appreciate the direct answer, and understand where everyone is coming from. btw I will probably just go with the f4i, no track use at all...thats to insane for me. In my own opinion I feel that I would be able to handle and learn with f4i with no problem, this being from the reasons I have previously stated.

Thanks
Fry

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
frey51 said:
Hell I even know how coutersteering works, and I did it while riding my brothers bike the otherday. And that even came completely natural to me
Somebody get on the wire with HRC :lol

Seriously dude, I don't think you understand how often this topic comes up on SBN. We've heard it a million times, and chances are you're not special.

·
Invicible for 170M years
2,293 Posts
frey51 said:
wow, I never thought that people would recomend a 250 for me. I have sat on a 250 before, and I felt like I was riding one of those poket cycles.

That's funny...today I weighed in at well over 200lbs and I hit an indicated 94mph on the 250 while riding to work the other day. Definitely doesn't feel like a pocket bike to me. Seriously, the EX500s are pretty sharp bikes. Buy one of those for cheap used, throw the remainder in an ING Direct savings account for a future bike and sell the 500 in a year. Add to your sales money (won't lose much if any value assuming youi buy used) the extra money you put away and you'll have a bad ass down payment for a brand spanking new bike. And there's no better feeling in the world than getting a brand new bike and basically having it paid off the moment you leave the dealer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Did I say I was freaking special....NO..:boid..All I wanted was a little help on picking which bike I should get. I never expected yall to come at me like this. You say I dont know anything about how to ride, well you can go shove it. I know what I want, I know what I can handle, I thought maybe you guys could give me a little bit more help than I already have gotten from reading other worthwhile posts. Guess not. Also ther is no reason why you cant just say, 'you have been riding 4wheelers and dirt bikes for years? knock yourself out on the 600, if you think you can handle it.' God was that so hard to say. You dont have to come at me like am some uninformed 18 year old kid who is getting a bike because mommy said I couldn't, and has never riden anything before in my life. I am getting a bike because I have always wanted one, and have the ability to get one. I live in the country and have plenty of riding experiance...more then you could imagine. Yeah not on street bikes, on the aformentioned 4wheelers and dirt bikes. I have been riding since I was 15...thats going on 10 years. No experiance huh.

Btw I do know how often this topic comes up. I know how to use the freakin search button.

As for this thread, I am done, because I dont think that I will get any information from yall unless I go out and get the damned bike and just learn to ride it with out you telling me I cant. Do you realize that can cause a weak minded person (like yourself) to subconsiously agree with what your saying.

Done

·
Registered
498 Posts
Do yourself a favour and get a Ninja 250 or 500. It is best to master finesse and riding skills on a bike you can push as your street skills grow rather than a machine you will never push anywhere save a track. Dirt experience helps but don't think for an instant a few rolls around the block qualifies you as able to master a 600cc supersport out of the gate.

Yes, you could handle an F4i. Anyone could with a little practice. But street and dirt are different worlds and although dirt conveys benefits for understanding loose traction and control mastery, street riding is a different animal. An F4i is not a weak bike. It is only "weak" compared to a 600RR.

But it sounds like you have already made up your mind and were simply looking for justification. It's a bad choice. There are better bikes to start on. It is easy to pick off a so-called experience rider who starts on a b***** bike and doesn't bother to learn good riding skills and relies on power and brakes instead to mask a lack of skill.

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
frey51 said:
Did I say I was freaking special....NO..:boid..All I wanted was a little help on picking which bike I should get. I never expected yall to come at me like this. You say I dont know anything about how to ride, well you can go shove it. I know what I want, I know what I can handle, I thought maybe you guys could give me a little bit more help than I already have gotten from reading other worthwhile posts. Guess not. Also ther is no reason why you cant just say, 'you have been riding 4wheelers and dirt bikes for years? knock yourself out on the 600, if you think you can handle it.' God was that so hard to say. You dont have to come at me like am some uninformed 18 year old kid who is getting a bike because mommy said I couldn't, and has never riden anything before in my life. I am getting a bike because I have always wanted one, and have the ability to get one. I live in the country and have plenty of riding experiance...more then you could imagine. Yeah not on street bikes, on the aformentioned 4wheelers and dirt bikes. I have been riding since I was 15...thats going on 10 years. No experiance huh.

Btw I do know how often this topic comes up. I know how to use the freakin search button.

As for this thread, I am done, because I dont think that I will get any information from yall unless I go out and get the damned bike and just learn to ride it with out you telling me I cant. Do you realize that can cause a weak minded person (like yourself) to subconsiously agree with what your saying.

Done
Ahhhhhhhhhh, another satisfied :newbie

Well, you asked for advice and got it...The majority says start small, you give them the finger...Very nice...

I'll admit the way the message is delivered is not always as soothing as a nice back rub, but the point of the message clear...Good luck with whatever you choose...But I challenge you to post back if you get a bike and crash hard within a month...Chances are that's what will happen and history says the same thing...

I know deep down you'd never get a 250 or 500, so if you must get something b*****, go with the SV650...Great bike, regardless of what the official size is...

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
nig said:
Next please :grinbounc
Well, I'll revert back to history again :D

And history tells me there will be another new thread about which bike to get within 5 days...So stay tuned :popcorn

1 - 20 of 45 Posts