Sport Bikes banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Complete newbie here, trying to follow all the advice here and get a Gixxer as my first bike :neener

Just kidding. (thought it'd be funny from all the posts today) I've been watching these boards for quite some time, and I've gathered quite a bit of info - so I'm looking for a 250.

Unfortunately, in my area (about 100 mile radius), I cannot seem to find any used 250's. But, I've found quite a few used 500's for sale - and most in the $3000 range, which is the price for a brand new 250. So my dilemma is this - do I buy a new 250, or a used 500?

I've read that buying new should be avoided for newbies, and I'm not worried about the costs, so its just a matter of getting something.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
I would recommend a used 500 if you can find one in good shape at a fair price. Your going to drop the bike and you will want to cry when you drop your brand new bike. A 500 is still a beginner friendly bike.

·
Registered
625 Posts
The season hasn't even started for people in northern climates. Bikes will be flying left and right on the used market very shortly. If you are convinced that one or the other is the better bike for you, try to hold out and purchase that one at a price that works.

But, yes the ex500 is a member of the beginner-sporty-bike triumvirate along with the ex250 and gs500.

·
Registered
514 Posts
It's a toss up. If you're spending the same amount, it'll hurt no matter which bike you drop. Check with the dealership and see what kind of warrenty you get, what's covered, if they throw in any services, etc. Check the resale on the 250's (I'm too lazy to do it:neener ) and figure if it's worth the money for you. Maybe wait a little longer and see if a used one comes up, or expand your search. Maybe a longer drive to pick it up would be worth it if you found a bike you like.

·
Not always on two
2,727 Posts
perfect.

i started on an ex500. cheap, easy, wont get bored of as quickly.

and used is better..because that inevitable fall happens with your first bike 90% of the time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
malvolio said:
The season hasn't even started for people in northern climates. Bikes will be flying left and right on the used market very shortly. If you are convinced that one or the other is the better bike for you, try to hold out and purchase that one at a price that works.
Well, unfortunately the season also ends early so I was hoping to get a jumpstart on the riding. My MSF course, or ABATE in Indiana, is next weekend. I was hoping to have a bike no later than a week after so I can get to practicing.

I'm convinced to start small, and I've sat on the 250 and 500 Ninja's, as well as the GS500 and all are fine. I have no issues about the need to "get a 500 because I'll get bored with a 250". No preference for one over the other - my main motivation is to hopefully become a skilled rider. I guess its just deciding on timing, really.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Go with the 500. Keep in mind, the 250 may MSRP for 2999, but even getting a good deal from the dealer, taxes and prep wil usually bring that total to anywhere from 3300-3700 OTD. There is next to no markup on the smaller bikes, so getting the bike OTD for MSRP (as can be done with some of the larger bikes) just isn't going to happen. Now, once you roll off that showroom floor, you'll be lucky if you could sell it for $2600-2700. Now you've just lost $600-1000 on your "brand new" bike. If you are smart about the used bike purchase, that $3000 500 will still be worth about $3000 for quite a bit longer.

So again, go with the 500 if it's the only option used. A 250 used would be best, but I know those can be tough to find.

Josh

·
It's good to B-King
3,290 Posts
No dilemma -go for the 500, unless you really feel like you have to have a new bike

·
Hile, Gunslinger
510 Posts
Go for the used 500. Like was mentioned about, it's already taken its big depreciation hit, so when you go to sell it you'll get all or most of your money back. Also, I'll bet insurance will be cheaper on the used bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts