Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey all

I have some experience with dirtbikes but that is all

I am taking the MSF in august ill be buyign my gear before that any advice on the MSF would be great

also i have heard mixed reviews on Hondas F2,F3 as goood beginer bikes so i was thinking of getting one if i cannot find a 250-500 lol i never even considers an r6 or gsxr etc etc for a first bike just so the ppl on here take me seriously lol

also i am around 5'5 so i would have to lower the honda if i get the 600 how much can i get out of shaving the seat?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ninja 500R...end of problem for height, great beginner bike and if you are worried about looks buy the lower fairing kit.

Oh and that little button with the dot on it works wonders at the end of sentences.

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
honda's are good beginner bikes since they are overweight and underpowered. So they are pretty cool looking 500's to me

Just kidding :smilierr

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
ZxHunteR said:
honda's are good beginner bikes since they are overweight and underpowered. So they are pretty cool looking 500's to me

Just kidding :smilierr
Argh! Ya bastard! I'm tellin' ya it's not true!

Anyway... mixed on the F2/F3/F4 thing. There pretty close to today's F4i. You're not going to get recommendations from experienced riders on endorsing such as good starter bike material. Since you have some dirt experience there may be lenancy on behalf of the safety-Nazis but I'm not to sure.

I had very little experience, got an F4i and feel at home. I've only cranked it to 11K RPMs once and was scared shitless. :lol

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I would keep looking for a EX500 or possibly a sv650

·
Head Rooster
3,438 Posts
I started on an F4i, once some fine strapping lads told me how to ride I feel better about being more assertive with my bike. However I too started out scared shitless of what it's capable of. 600 or less to start on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
theres a 95 F3 for sale for 3g should i consider it wiht the experience i have or should i keep looking for a 250-500 i want to get good at riding so i wouldnt mid riding a ugly bike around but 3000 is a decetn price

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
you could buy a 10-11y.o. bike that'll scare the shit out of you or alot newer smaller bike that you'll learn on.......hmmm decisions decision

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok a 250-500 makes alot more sence just wanted to ask about that

i have a 81 honda 400 that im fixing all it needs now is a foot shifter, but it stil makes sence to get a small sportbike first so ill keep looking for a ninja

·
Registered
39 Posts
ex500 is the way to go bro... I was hesitant because I wanted something cool and fast, but it is plenty fast for my first. You should feel the same.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
i just bought an r6 as a first street bike, im pretty comfortable on it with 10 years of dirt bike experiance, if you do get a 600, dont take it on the freeway untill you gain alot of experience.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The EX500 is plenty fast. I got a little behind the guy I was riding with and gave it some gas in 2nd gear. I thought my helmet was going to get sucked off! Its slow enough to learn on but fast enough to have fun on.

·
Registered
447 Posts
a 95 for $3g is too much. I got my 97 last year for that price.

IMO, I think the F3s are good if you took MSF and are a responsible person. Power delivery is smooth and controllable and won't wheelie by accident. Still plenty fast to get yourself killed and in trouble if you're not ready so just don't be stupid and take it slow.

97-98 F3s look the best, something you could keep for awhile and still look good.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Tempest-RR said:
Ninja 500R...end of problem for height, great beginner bike and if you are worried about looks buy the lower fairing kit.

Oh and that little button with the dot on it works wonders at the end of sentences.
+1

·
Registered
447 Posts
For gear check out the closeout section at:
www.newenough.com

Good prices for older styled leather jackets but still good protection. Also got a good pair of gloves from their closeout section as well.

Get a good helmet also. If you get a cheap one first to save, you'll end up getting a better one after you get a bike. You'll see how uncomfortable a cheap helmet is when riding.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts