Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, so in like two weeks I'm going to be buying this guy's 2004 500R as my first bike.

I want to get into riding, because this past year, I had to sell my towncar (due to maintenance and it got 21 mpg :cry) and I got a little 120 cc Honda scooter in its place. A world of difference between a 96 towncar and a 2004 scooter. But, it's faithfully served me well over the past year and the 8600 miles we've traveled together. Now I want to graduate to something b*****.

I want to buy this bike when I get back to 1) get into riding, and 2) save on cost of commuting (weather permitting, that is). But in OH, there's some rules like you have to have your permit for 6 months before applying for your endorsement/license or before your MSF course counts as passing the DMV's test. I'm fine with that. You can't have a passenger on until you have a license, which I didn't plan on anyways for like 9 t 12 months of riding on the bike. You can't ride on the highway with a permit, which I wouldn't be comfortable doing for a few months anyways. I've "putted around" on my buddy's GSXR 750, and that convinced me I won't be going very fast on the highway very soon at all, either.

My problem is, and my question to you all comes in the form of, my job will have me traveling to work at roughly 1 pm and I'll be on my way home around 10 to 11 pm every night. And in OH, with a permit, you're "not supposed to" ride at night. I scooted home every night from school at 11 or later each night out here in Tempe and Scottsdale, AZ. Now, I know that it's going to be a world of difference between the old scooter and this 500R, so don't flame me on that.

But I didn't know if anyone else's state had these restrictions on permit holders, and if so, how strictly the "no riding at night" was enforced. Is there going to be a distinctive way they will be able to identify me as a permit holder and not a licensed motorcyclistby way of license plate, etc?

Anyone's input and/or opinions would be appreciated. Once again, I'm not trying to get flamed, I just want some people's experiences.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
370 Posts
In California there isn't a 6 month permit holding minimum but all the other rules are the same. I have found that riding the bike at night as a new rider is different and can be difficult. The line of site is smaller, cars see you even less and you can't tell the difference between an edge trap, pot hole and shadow till you are right on it. But around here they can't tell from looking at you... but if you crash you are in shit.Even though I have my endorsment, I have only driven at night twice and will continue to avoid it for several months or at least till I top 4k miles.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Yah, what she said, and:

The OH rule about 6 mo seems a little goofy, since it means a lot of people like you are tempted to ride for 6 mo without the MSF, which is just as well taken before even getting a bike. Seems to me I've heard that many crashes are at night, and newbies are particularly at risk (and men 35-55 for some unknown reason). If your work forces you to ride at night, be sure you've got good safety gear on, assume the cars don't see you, and do your level best to look like a law-abiding endorsed rider. Stay off the freeway; it's going to be super tempting once you realize what a grin 500cc is compared to 50cc. You don't need a cop on your ass at this point. Or, you could BE a law-abiding citizen and stick with the scooter for commuting for a little longer. You've done 8K already, what's a few more?

OTOH, I've done all those things I suggest are bad ideas, except for being a middle aged man. :eek:nfloor

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
As far as a way to identify you as not having the M endocrment, it is possable. A good friend of mine rode around on a permit for 2 years with out a problem. Although one afternoon he was riding and a cop ran his tag for whatever reason and saw that the registered owner is does not have a M endorcment. The cop pulled him over and made him park the bike, walk home and pick it up with a truck. He also got a massive fine. Odd tho. The fine and points for operating a M/C with out any permit or M endorcment is less than operating one with a permit, not abiding by the permit rules. IIRC, the rules in MD are that you have to have a M endorced person with in one block of you. Regardless of if they are in a car or a bike, and if you are to get pulled over, they have to stop as well.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Easiest less stress solution for you is just do your MSF as soon as you can. Then pass it. Then the permit thing wouldn't be an issue.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Having taken the MSF course or not (which I'm scheduled to July 23rd - 25th),I will still have to have my permit for 6 months before I can present my certificate of completion w/ my permit to get my endorsement.

I'm wondering what the track record is of maybe getting pulled over for not being endorsed and riding at night?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
I'd evaluate the consequences of getting nailed. The probability is hard to determine as it likely depends on what else you're doing. Are there hard and fast rules for what happens? If so, decide if you're willing to take that chance. Maybe you could get some sort of document saying that it's OK for you to be going from work to home at night. I dunno.

·
It's good to B-King
3,290 Posts
I live in Ohio. You do not have to wait 6 months to take the endorsement test.

I got my permit packet, and the following week went in and took the MSF course (and passed). They gave me a little card which I took the the DMV the following monday and got my endorsement on my driver's license. So, about 10 days total from getting my permit to having the endorsement added to my license.

Oh - this was about 4 weeks ago, so unless they changed the law in the last 4 weeks, you should be good to go.

I used to just renew my permit every year, but when I got back into riding I decided I should get my M endorsement. That and the 19.50/packet convinced me (used to be 6.50).

As I recall, the permit restrictions are:
No riding at night
Must always wear your helmet
No passengers
No heavy traffic, which is really open to interpratation, but it would generally mean stay off the freeways and out of rush hour.

When I had my permit, I broke all of these rules (dumb I know). However, as long as you aren't out acting stupid (drag racing from light to light, riding wheelies, etc), the cops never bothered me. I had a few follow me late at night when I wasn't doing anything wrong. I'm sure they ran my tags and could see the owner didn't have an endorsement, but they never stopped me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok. Thanks for the info.

Obviously I was 'misinformed' by my buddy back in OH, and I didn't want to wait until Monday morning to call the BMV in cols.

Thanks for all the up-to-date info man. I appreciate it.

/me dances & can't wait until June 29th to get his first bike!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry, bro, it was a joke.

When I first came to the boards, I had my head up my arse and was convinved I wanted a land rocket for my first bike. I listened to what people suggested, took some more time to do some reading and research, and learned to value what you guys have to offer in these forums.

I'll be sure to keep that out of my next thread topic ;)

·
Registered
791 Posts
jim schmidt said:
I wish new riders could come here without thinking they need a flamesuit.

It would be nice... we just dont live in such a world.

Hey man F the law. Get your bike, get insured, take the MSF class, get the permit. I dont understand the logic in the rules you talked about. u can get a permit but u cant take a safety class. IF those are really your laws you could easily get out any type of ticket for riding your bike.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had some conflicting information cleared up. This will no longer be an issue.

Thanks for all of your input.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts